At Palouse Falls with Woodworks

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bimjo, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    So, I get this PM from Woodworks Saturday evening saying he's going to be in the Bimjo stomping grounds and would I like to meet up at Palouse Falls for a shoot. Well, yes I would actually, but I may not be able to get free.

Turns out I could get free and we met at the park, where the intrepid adventurer (Woodworks, not me) is spending the night camping out. I did not join the campout. I have a perfectly comfortable bed only 70 miles from Palouse Falls so why not use it? :daz:

So, we sat and got acquainted and now David knows more about my motorcycle crashes and illnesses than any human being should be made to endure. I had a serious case of motor mouth, for which I apologise profusely. Hopefully he won't disown me as a forum member for being a dweeb.

Anyway… here's Woodworks (w/Nikon 80-400 @ 80/11)
    palouse_falls130908_02.

And here's the falls (w/CV12 @ f/8)
    palouse_falls130908_01.

And the sunset on the way home (w/Nikon 80-400 @ 80/11)
    palouse_falls130908_03.

And now I'm going to bed. I'll post a couple more shots tomorrow, but David's shots will be much better (I just really wasn't feeling it for some reason) and he'll have some neat sky shots from after dark since he's there camping out, so look forward to whatever he comes up with. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    TalkNex forum meeting??? :D

On a serious note, this is an example of how the internet can sometimes lead to good thinks and create friendships :thumbup:
    I'm slightly jealous cause probably I'm never gonna meet any of you guys since I'm on the other side of the earth...

Nice photos and looking forward to more soon ;)

3. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Good story and very nice photos.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Let's wait until we hear from Woodworks before we praise friendships born on the internet.

For all we know he is dead and buried somewhere in the Palouse Falls. This may be how Bimjo gets all his camera gear.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    LOL :D

God, I love your sense of humour :)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    neat to have real life meet ups.

7. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I got a very good laugh out of this, Colin. I shouldn't find dark humor funny . . . . but I do.

Besides, how do we know Jim posted the above photos? Maybe David took all of his camera equipment, and tortured Jim into giving up his Talknex credentials. Hmmmm . . . ?

Tony

PS: Lovely photos, by the way.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Conspiracy theories abound, and you have to wait until David gets back to civilization to find out since he's in a "no cell phone coverage zone." Or is he… ?

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Okay, while we wait for David to appear (or not) I'll post a couple more pics.

This is a rock outcropping near the top of the falls (seen in the first pic) that I've always referred to as the Cathedral, because it reminds me a some European cathedrals. Ok, work with me here. Close one eye. Squint with the other eye. Tilt your head. Imagine. See? Looks just like a cathedral. :) (Nikon 80-400 @ 80/11)
    palouse_falls130908_09.

An example of why eastern Washington (along with northeastern Oregon/Idaho/much of Nevada etc.) is lovingly (depending on your state of mind) referred to as "the Nevergreen State." (Nikon 80-400 @ 80/11)
    palouse_falls130908_10.

The falls @ ⅛ second (Nikon 80-400 @ 80/11)
    palouse_falls130908_11.

And @ 2.5 seconds (Nikon 80-400 @ 80/11)
    palouse_falls130908_12.

I leave you with a wide angle view of the sunset. And hopes that David posts up soon. :biggrin: (CV12 @ f/8)
    palouse_falls130908_04.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Tony. :)

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Hey, it works!!! :)

And Jim, those waterfall shots are amazing!!! ;)

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Told ya. ;)

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Back home again (and alive!) after a 10-hour drive.

It was a hoot and a half meeting up with Bimjo out at the falls, and don't let him kid you, he's a great story-teller. Plus, he simultaneously made me feel better about crashing my motorcycle (repeatedly) and put my own aging body's aches and pains in proper perspective. About the only way the afternoon could have been more enjoyable is if he had shown up with a cooler full of beer. Um, see to that next time, will you, Jim?

I'm dealing with several work-related panics right now, so I'll only post one (quickly edited) photo. And since I'm no fool, it's from this morning's sunrise, when Bimjo wasn't there to show me up. :p

9711697197_705def2ee2_b.
    Palouse Falls 1.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Oh, and Colin? Since you've revealed just how your mind works, if I ever am fortunate enough to travel back to China, and find myself in Changsha, you can be sure that I'll be keeping my eye on you if we go out for a shoot! :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    So folks, now you know why Bimjo didn't stick around to get embarassed. That's some awesome light David, maybe I need to think about that camping out at Palouse Falls thing...

Glad you made it home safe and sorry man, the beer totally slipped my mind. I won't forget next time. What's your name again? ;)

16. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Great capture of some awesome scenery. :)

17. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    All great shots, but mate that second shot is to die for !!. Just a gorgeous view and what a neat perspective. Love it.

All the best and all darn nice shots.

Danny.

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  19. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
  20. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Schweet stuff! Did you get any star shots like you planned?