Astro imaging on Nex

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Narenek, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    I'm currently using my Nex 6 along with old legacy glass to learn astro photography. I use the Nex on an IOptron star tracker to allow for longer exposures. As I'm learning I do this from my back garden so have to contend with a lot of light pollution which i edit out in Post processing. Not as good as if I had dark skies and a better mount but good enough for me to learn with.

Andromeda with 2 satellite galaxies

Cassiopeia constellation and double cluster
    Cassiopeia 30th Sep 50mm.jpg

Cygnus constellation and Milky way
    milky way.jpg

'Super' Moon
    Moon 23-6(3).jpg
    • Like Like x 13
  2. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are quite nice. I've done some astrophotography myself, but nothing that detailed. I've not been successful at all in capturing Andromeda.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Looks pretty impressive to me. :)
  4. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Those are some very beautiful shots. What kind of glass are you using for this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkNEX mobile app
  5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Welcome and thanks for sharing these beautiful shots.
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    All very nice but that last shot of the moon is awesome!!! So sharp!!!

7. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Different legacy lenses for each one.

Andromeda was with a Rokkor 200/4.5
    Cassiopeia with Minolta 50/1.7
    Milky way with a CZ Flektagon 35/2.8
    and lastly the moon with a vivitar 70-300/4.2 with 2x extender
  8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Amazing stuff!
  9. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Very nice! I always wanted to try that but has been to lazy to look into it . :)
  10. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Thanks. I think the general technique is relatively easy but does take some practice to get decent results. Also anything beyond say 30 seconds of exposure, which is needed for deeper shots, needs some sort of tracker (though you can make your own for around £200). It does also take more time as just that one andromeda shot required an hour of repeated exposures (and i really wanted about 3-4 hrs to get better data), then about another hour to two hours to stack and edit... so one shot takes a lot of time. I'm just a beginner and there is a guy on the DPreview astro forum's using a nex 5n who produces shots i can only dream of... though he has much darker skies than me :)
  11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Simple tracker can be made quite cheaply. There are suitable cheap stepper motors available and the electronics can be had cheaply too. All electronics can be had as ready made modules (stepper motor driver&controller and pulse generator are what are required).
  12. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    yeah but they take a little diy knowledge/ability that i just don't have :) Ended up buying the IOptron star tracker and i really like it, plus it's polar scope makes it easier to align than a homemade tracker.
  13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yep. I have been wondering about mobile phone as pulse generator for stepper motor. The simple tracker don't have constant rate of rotation as they are of hinged door variety and hinge is forced apart via screw (mathematically speaking sin(alpha) is roughly alpha for small angles but not large ones). Programming that is not a big deal and electronics is pretty simple too. Mechanics isn't very complicated and there are shops specializing diy router stuff (screw driven by stepper notor is quite common in them).