• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Assigning custom buttons...

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
I learned this past week that I can assign a custom button on my a7rII to use for the video "trigger" (instead of the wonky little corner button), but it appears that I can't do the same thing on my a6400. Does anyone know how I can do that on my a6400?

Thanks,
Tom

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It's possible on the a6500. I guess it is on the menu list... or not. Arbitrary selection by Sony.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Tom, I could not find much about this other than the following two items.

You can move the movie record function to the shutter button. I found this on https://www.wimarys.com/sony-a6400-settings-tips-and-tricks/. It is the bottom setting on the menu shown in the image.

MENU →Purple Camera Icon→ page 3 (Movie settings page 3)

Sony-A6400-menu-setup-page_-17-1024x576.jpg
   ---            

The other was a video on the A6300 - I would hope they retained the option but maybe not. This was from a video at

at around 1:17 minutes in. It shows an option in the list you choose from when setting custom buttons. The option is labeled "MOVIE" (in all caps even). That sounds like exactly what you want, but I cannot be certain the A6400 has it like the A6300 apparently does.

A final thought - if you are trying to avoid camera movement when stopping/starting a recording, maybe you could use a remote or the remote app on a smartphone. Just an idea.

I hope one of those helps.

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
Tom, I could not find much about this other than the following two items.

You can move the movie record function to the shutter button. I found this on https://www.wimarys.com/sony-a6400-settings-tips-and-tricks/. It is the bottom setting on the menu shown in the image.

MENU →Purple Camera Icon→ page 3 (Movie settings page 3)

View attachment 101945

The other was a video on the A6300 - I would hope they retained the option but maybe not. This was from a video at

at around 1:17 minutes in. It shows an option in the list you choose from when setting custom buttons. The option is labeled "MOVIE" (in all caps even). That sounds like exactly what you want, but I cannot be certain the A6400 has it like the A6300 apparently does.

A final thought - if you are trying to avoid camera movement when stopping/starting a recording, maybe you could use a remote or the remote app on a smartphone. Just an idea.

I hope one of those helps.
Voila Bob! That did it (Movie 3). Exactly what I needed. Thanks a bunch!

Tom

Latest threads

Top Bottom