1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Assigning custom buttons...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by slothead, May 11, 2019.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Thomas Manson
    I learned this past week that I can assign a custom button on my a7rII to use for the video "trigger" (instead of the wonky little corner button), but it appears that I can't do the same thing on my a6400. Does anyone know how I can do that on my a6400?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Thad E Ginathom

Thad E Ginathom New to TalkEmount

Mar 31, 2019
    India
    It's possible on the a6500. I guess it is on the menu list... or not. Arbitrary selection by Sony.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Tom, I could not find much about this other than the following two items.

You can move the movie record function to the shutter button. I found this on https://www.wimarys.com/sony-a6400-settings-tips-and-tricks/. It is the bottom setting on the menu shown in the image.

MENU →Purple Camera Icon→ page 3 (Movie settings page 3)

Sony-A6400-menu-setup-page_-17-1024x576.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The other was a video on the A6300 - I would hope they retained the option but maybe not. This was from a video at

at around 1:17 minutes in. It shows an option in the list you choose from when setting custom buttons. The option is labeled "MOVIE" (in all caps even). That sounds like exactly what you want, but I cannot be certain the A6400 has it like the A6300 apparently does.

A final thought - if you are trying to avoid camera movement when stopping/starting a recording, maybe you could use a remote or the remote app on a smartphone. Just an idea.

I hope one of those helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Thomas Manson
    Voila Bob! That did it (Movie 3). Exactly what I needed. Thanks a bunch!

Tom

5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Glad I could help. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.