• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

As someone that left m43 for NEX...

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I have been m43 free for a few months now and committed to using the NEX with manual focus glass and I have to say that while there are time I miss the fast AF or the UI of my GX1 for the most part I have very few regrets. First off, the NEX is not for everyone. In many ways it is a non standard approach to digital cameras. Sony has chosen to do things their own way and it is not always what you expect (or even like). That said, I find that the trade-offs are worth it. The things that I feel that the NEX gives me that I did not have with m43 are better IQ. I have friends that swear up and down that I am crazy and that the E-M5 is equal to or better than my 5n in the IQ department. I will give them this...the E-M5 is better than my GX1 but IMHO it is still not up to the level of the 5n. Also, (and I find this to be significant) the 1.5 crop factor of the NEX is much more useful to me when using manual focus lenses. It may not be an issue for some but I find that lenses that I did not care for on m43 (I used a LOT of manual focus lenses on my G2 and GH2) are much more useable for me on the NEX. It's little things like working distance because the 40/1.4 is a 60mm 35mm equivalent as opposed to 80mm. I know that may seem minor and I would have said the same thing before I was a NEX user but I find that it DOES make a difference for me. Finally, I quite like focus peaking. It may not be to everyone's liking but I find that using it I get much better success in nailing focus than I do simply using magnified view. It took some getting used to but now that I am used to it I wouldn't want to use a system without it (I will say that contrasty lenses help).

Do I care that Sony does not have a good set of native lenses like m43? Not really no...but I think I am not they typical digital camera consumer. It'll make a big difference to some folks. Do I think NEX is better than m43? No...I think it's more suited to my needs but better is a very subjective term. It depends what you want out of your camera. Am I tempted to go back to m43? Not particularly no. The GH3 is very impressive but bigger than I am interested in, I've gotten to play with the E-M5 on a few occasions and while I find it really interesting I don't have any interest in owning one and the newer m43 cameras like the E-PM2 and E-PL5 don't offer me anything that I am looking for. In fact since I got the EVF for my 5n I am not really feeling any need to upgrade (or sidegrade). It's fast, gives me what I need for using my MF lenses and I can make images. In fact, I find the 5n with my Hexanon 24/2.8 reminds me an awful lot of my Konica Auto S3 (I love that camera) I feel like I have found the digital camera experience I have been looking for since I started using them. It's not the be all and end all and won't suit everyone it's just something that fits me well and that I can use to make images with and for me that is sufficient.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Kevin, I'm in the exact same position (as we've discussed many times). I was head over heels over my GX-1 + PL25, but ever since I got the 5N, and despite several very real pet hates with it, I'ved sold ALL the m4/3 stuff without the tiny bit of regret, knowing I won't be back.
Motive ? I'm all shallow DOF, and despite very active propaganda from m4/3 folks, I can affirm to MY eyes, and for MY use, the DOF control difference is VERY real, and I just love it. It's so cool when using fast primes I'm not even so sure I need FF anymore (I have both Canon and Nikon FF DLSR offerings before, so I should know).
Manual lenses, I tried it on the GX-1, and even with the EVF attached it was a PITA and pretty much hit and miss. I would never in a million yars have considered shooting older lenses by default. Enters NEX, and I don't want to use anything else from now on. I have a 18-55 that sits in a drawer (currently listed). I did order the new 16-50 along the NEX6, mostly to have a wide option and the peace of mind of AF if needed. I suspect it's gonna get as little use as the 18-55 did (read, none).
Unless magnification, which is TOTALLY useless for living subjects, Focus Peaking lets you get critical focus (remember, I'm the gal shooting fast primes wide open on moving kids !!) in less than easy conditions, that is just addictive.
Due to the 5N's many little operational quirks, I have now switched to everything manual at all times (actually easier and quicker than using A + exposure compensation). In this regard coming to NEX has turned me into a full fledged photographer with total understanding and control of my imaging process.
So in a paradox, I think the NEX is probably not a very good camera for its target audience (p&s upgraders), but a fantastic tool for enthusiast photographers. APS-C DOF control + Focus Peaking means I'm not looking at anything m4/3 anymore.

teefin1

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Between the pair of you, you produce some of the most brilliant shots on this site, in different genres, and when I was dithering it was these offerings, and this site that convinced me nex was where I wanted to be. Cheers guys.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Between the pair of you, you produce some of the most brilliant shots on this site, in different genres, and when I was dithering it was these offerings, and this site that convinced me nex was where I wanted to be. Cheers guys.

That's a huge compliment, and pretty high expectations to live up to ! Will try :)
One other thing I REALLY appreciate in this community is the ability to vent and rave against some NEX issues and not get flamed immediately. Try saying anything against the grain among m4/3 fans, and watch Hell's doors break lose. Lol.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
That's a huge compliment, and pretty high expectations to live up to ! Will try :)
One other thing I REALLY appreciate in this community is the ability to vent and rave against some NEX issues and not get flamed immediately. Try saying anything against the grain among m4/3 fans, and watch Hell's doors break lose. Lol.

Well, as much as I like my 5N, it does have its flaws and foibles. But I knew that going in so there's no one to blame but me if I get frustrated. ;)

But overall, for the type of shooting that I'm doing now it fits the bill better for me than any other camera out there, except maybe the 5R & the jury is still out on that one.

Most here seem to be of a similar attitude toward the nex camera system, which makes this a very nice place to hang out indeed. :)

applemint

TalkEmount Veteran
Personally (key word),
I see nothing wrong with the 24mm Zeiss, 50 1.8, & 55-210...

YMMV though....

I only have the 55-210 of those three but in terms of IQ I think it's just as good (if not slightly better) than similarly priced m43 equivalents (Olympus 40-150 and Panasonic 45-200). (Having owned and used all 3). In terms of build quality and just general look use and feel (grip, zooming etc) I prefer the Nex lens although it's a fair bit bigger/ heavier than the Olympus. The rubber zoom grip material is a bit of a dust magnet though! :eek:

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
As a possible convert from micro four thirds, I'm not all that worried about glass for NEX. The new 18-55 compact kit zoom, the new 35mm f/1.8 prime and the Sigma 19 and 30mm f/2.8 primes pretty much take care of that.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
As a possible convert from micro four thirds, I'm not all that worried about glass for NEX. The new 18-55 compact kit zoom, the new 35mm f/1.8 prime and the Sigma 19 and 30mm f/2.8 primes pretty much take care of that.

The AF line-up is ever so slowly growing up, but in all honesty, the insane fun of NEX lies with legacy glass. I had a friend coming over the other night who's NEVER tried manual focus, and she nailed our wrestling daughters (4 and 6) in no time. Peaking rules.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I keep hearing that. Well, I've got some great Pentax glass. I could always get a K-mount adaptor.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I keep hearing that. Well, I've got some great Pentax glass. I could always get a K-mount adaptor.

The casual tone makes me think you have no idea what you're stepping into ! Once you've got that adapter, you're bound to go into manual shooting frenzy. Those DAs really should shine on a NEX sensor !! I don't know if you've had the opportunity to play with Peaking before, but I find it really the most powerful focusing aid anyone could dream of.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim

Oh yeah, you should do that. I've decided to go the rangefinder lens route just because it's just weird enough to appeal to me, but the older MF slr lenses work very well on the NEX series bodies. Maybe better actually because there are no color shift/vignette issues (beyond what you'd get with a dslr) with them.

Bear in mind that with AF slr lenses (with no aperture ring) your functionality is somewhat reduced vs. MF lenses as you don't get the full aperture adjustability with AF lenses.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have to agree about how good focus peaking is. My wife picked it up a few days ago and before I knew it, I saw her teaching my 70-year-old aunt how to use it and she nailed a few shots on her first go.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oh my goodness (how does one blush in text?) :eek:...thanks for the compliment. I am constantly impressed by what I see posted here (not my stuff but other folks), and I feel fortunate to have found a nice community and look forward to sharing with and learning from everyone here.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Is that a French saying? Hell's door break loose...I LOVE that!

+1

Not really, I thought it was an American saying, lol.

We both do know a French saying involving flies, but we don't want to discuss that here ;)

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Not really, I thought it was an American saying, lol.

We both do know a French saying involving flies, but we don't want to discuss that here ;)

The American version would be "all Hell breaks loose" but I like Hell's door better...more panache .

Latest threads

Top Bottom