1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Around the lake

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Jul 9, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A pair of bookend images, one from very early on 7/4, and the other as sunset approached. Image #1 was actually taken just on the upstream side of the dam, a few hundred yards from image #2, and looking more to the east. In fact, the trees you see in the foreground left in #1 are the same trees in the middle background in #2. I made several attempts during the week, and the sky just didn't cooperate very well with any dramatic sunrises or sunsets. And oh yes, there are Muskies in the tailwaters below the dam. I raised 4 fish, hooking 2, and had one around 36-40" up to the bank before my son tried to lift it by the line and the line snapped. It was still quite thrilling watching those big fish tail dancing on the surface of the water, trying to shake the hook. Great fun! I'm working on some other photos of the area, attempting to create an exposure blend, but haven't mastered the process yet. NEX-6 + Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm.

Tony

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'd almost be afraid to toss a Devil's Horse top water plug in there...LOL

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If'n ya did, you'd better be ready when it hit the water. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Very nice amigo :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Never heard of that, but now I'll have to go buy one and try it! :D

Tony

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The big 5" versions are deadly on big largemouth bass. When the plug lands on the water...wait until all ripples have faded away then just barely twitch it every so slightly a couple times to make it seem like it's struggling to get moving again...and hang on !!
    :biggrin:

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Sounds like a plan!

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I finally got around to experimenting with exposure blending on some of my photos from last week's vacation. The following is a blend of several photos, all taken at different exposure settings from a tripod during the murky twilight before dawn, and about 45 minutes or so prior to the first photo shown above. This was as good as the sky got, but I'm very pleased with the results. A graduated neutral density filter would also have worked, but I don't have one that will fit that particular lens. NEX-6 + Vivitar Series 1 19-35, K-mount.

Tony

Attached Files: