Around 19 mm manual lense

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jun 28, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am looking for a lens around 19 mm (10-20mm) that can give lower aperture values like 1.7 and it does not cost more than 70 euros second hand.

What do you have in mind?

Regards
    Alex

2. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    You wont find anything remotely close to what you are looking for based on your price range. the only wide-angle lens that fast that comes to mind is the voigtlander 21mm/1.8 and they are $1200+.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's is a mouthwatering dream. Not going to come true soon, however. The closest native E-mount lens is the Sigma 19/2.8 of which the old model can be had for € 100 if you manage to find one. Legacy glass originally meant for 135 cameras don't feature these aperture values very often; closest is the Olympus OM 21mm 1:2 which will set you back anywhere between € 500 and € 1000 or the equivalent in dollars. On the other hand, you may be able to find a C-mount lens of these specs, but it won't cover the whole image field.

In short, you might as well forget about it.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the answer. So there is no manual lens at this price range that can beat sigma?

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not by a long stretch.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As the others have said, Alex, there's nothing even remotely close to what you're looking for. And boy, don't we all wish that there were. ;)

7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    There is a fuji x mount 23mm 1.7 slr magic for 399.00 usd.
    X mount to nex adapter is about 40.00

This will make it about 440.00

8. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    The Sigma 19mm is a beaut for the money though! I've got both the Sigma 19mm and the 30mm lenses. The widest MF lens I have is a Canon FD 24mm, going wider begins to really cost, especially if you want it fast too.

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah, the simplest and cheapest solution is to buy the Sigma 19/2.8. I resisted it for a long while because I had seen som bad sample images taken with it. But when I got it, I was really happy with it.

I also bought a legacy Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5. I also like this lens because it renders the photos really painterly, with beautiful gradients. But it's quirky and needs stopping down to about f/11 [!] to give what I would call a semblance of modern sharpness.

They were about the same money, but if I had to choose one, it's the Sigma.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    just came back from a short trip in Utrecht, I have used the kit lense wide open at 18mm with an aperture of 3.5.

I wanted to ask if the sigma 19mm has a fish-eye converter or something like that. I wanted to be able to capture very tall building and with the 18mm had problems fit everything inside the frame.

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No fish-eye converter of which I'm aware. But if I find myself in similar circumstances, I often try the built-in panorama function to see if that gives me an acceptable image.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too have both Sigma's and love them. I tried several manual lenses of the same lengths, but nothing comes close to the image quality of the Sigmas in the $50-100 range.

I had the stock 16mm, but got rid of it. The nice thing about the 16mm is the wide angle attachment, but I never owned it.

I also had the stock 18-55mm, but never used it and also sold it.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi, I have been moving outdoors quite already and I am going for nice walks with my newborn daughter. I have found very tempted to use the baby stroller (baby carriage) to take some pictures when the daughter sleeps. Especially I am trying to understand the aperture effects when I am focusing on the stroller :)
    I will try to upload some images soon for discussion.
    One of the problems I had is how to shoot the stroller with a tall building, for example (http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00000liPWyWllqo/s/860/bdm-20100827-0017-Domplein.jpg) where you want to have also the stroller in the image. So far I have the 30mm sigma and the 18-50mm kit lens. The 18mm looks to be more wide to include most part of the building but not enough to have also the stroller in the image. Any tips on that what lens should I use for that?

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, a wider lens, for sure. :p

But without knowing 1) how far you are from the stroller, 2) how big the stroller is, 3) how far you are from the building, and 4) how tall and wide the building is, it's impossible to be more specific than that, Alex.

From the example you've posted, you seem to be having to point the camera up, since the buildings in the photo have some fairly radical converging lines. My guess is that you'd have to have a very wide lens, perhaps the 10-18mm, or Touit 12mm, to able to fit everything in and also be able to hold the lens level in order to lessen the problems with perspective.

15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I will try to share some images later.
    thanks

16. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    First of all, congratulations :)

Second, I'm not quite sure what kind of photos you are visualising. Lenses do have their limitations. For instance, to get both the stroller and the distant backdrop in focus, you need to get some distance between the camera and the stroller. You can use a dof calculator for that.

Third, wide shots are generally tricky on crop sensor cameras. The sensor will create a narrower picture and may also degrade image quality in the borders due to sensor construction.

Fourth, good wide angle lenses are expensive, with some exceptions.

I'd say that you should continue using the kit lens at 18mm with stopped down aperture (f/8-11?) and dof calculator. If you can't get something like the images you want with that, then a wider lens probably won't make a huge difference.

17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    thanks for the answers.
    I am giving some examples below:
    Talknex - AlexPal's Photos
    password is : 1 (just the number)

the first two are with the kit lens wide open at 18mm.
    the 3-5 are with the 30mm sigma.
    6-7 kit lense 18mm (Those two I think show how tight things are)

one more comment for the last page is that the stroller is light reflective making the metering giving darker images of what the image should be (that is what I see).

Comments welcome
    Alex

18. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    I looked at the photos and the exif-data. In most pictures either the stroller or the background is out of focus. This is because the focal length is too long and the aperture too wide. In some shots you have 30mm and f/2.8.

If you shoot at 18mm and f/9, you should be able to get everything in focus by standing a few meters from the stroller.

Also the light meter can't deal with the dynamic range from the dark street to the bright sky. You can point the camera at differently lit surfaces and look at the screen. when you get an exposure balance that you like, press the AEL button to lock the light meter. Then you can point the camera back on the subject, compose the shot and take it. Sometimes it also helps to set light metering to center or spot.

19. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks actually I thought that keeping the background out of focus will keep the information at the stroller so in that sense I think that was what I wanted to achieve... Would you suggest me though a wider lens or you think that would be enough?

A.

20. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    The 18mm of the kit lens is pretty wide so if you can make that work for you, you will save a lot of money. Dedicated wide lenses are expensive.