Arizona BASE Jump 2015 (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by SpaceManSpiff, Feb 12, 2015.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    I jumped at the opportunity to capture some images of BASE jumpers in action near Phoenix. After a much too early start --daylight broke and it looked like it was going to be a promising day. No wind. We took some landscape shots while we waited to meet some of the jumpers who had been camping nearby.

At the first jumping location near Saguaro Lake, many of the jumpers had already climbed to the top of the cliff by the time we arrived. I had considered renting the FE70-200 for this event, but decided not to...I really regretted this decision after only 5 shots when I realized that something was wrong with my Vivitar Series1 70-210 f/2.8-4.0 (komine), when zoomed in, it wouldn't focus at long-distance subjects. With the SEL50f18 and my OM 135 f/2.8 I was forced to shoot a little wider than I had originally intended, but overall I am happy with the results and the performance of the two lenses.

Here's a shot of the cliff they were jumping off of.

I was able to get some fun shots of the 'approach' to the landings.

Despite the great colors of the parachute canopies...

...I found that some of the B&W images were more evocative.

Unfortunately, the wind picked up and a second jump was not in the cards at this location.

In the afternoon it was time to jump at the second location, Peralta Cliffs. Being able to capture some of the jumpers in free-fall before they pulled the pilot chute was a thrill.

As we were losing daylight, I moved to capture some of the BASE landings.

It was an exhausting but fun day. Thanks for stopping by!
    • Like Like x 6
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Despite the lens issue, some great shots.

Love that last couple.

I have not been to Saguaro Lake in quite a while. Always been partial to Canyon Lake.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Very nice set!

One of my best friends is a BASE jumper/proximity wing suit pilot. He's without doubt the most insane and fearless person I have ever met!
    Here's one of his videos

He was also the camera guy flying alongside/shooting the worlds first air to ground high five! I can't find the video of that though!

Personally I've done a couple of good old fashioned sky dives. Not tandem, I had two instructors (one of which is another very good friend) exit the plane with me. I figured if I was going to do it, do it properly! That was quite enough thrill for me!
    • Like Like x 3
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Great set of photos!!!
    #1 and #13 are my favourites - excellent :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Mine too! Although I think the b&w #6, with the light hitting the Saguaro is right up there.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Superb results. Love the B&Ws very dramatic.
    The colors at the locations are lovely. I haven't been to Saguaro in years. I think I'll pay the lakes a visit this week with my Sony.

Curious about your infinity issues with your Series-1. Post about it when you discover the cause. Having similar problem with some of my MF lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks Dave! I just had to re-think what kind of shots I could go for. In the end, they ended up being more like environmental portraits of BASE jumpers rather than classical action photography stuff.

The picture with the gal coming in for a landing siloutted against the setting sun is one of those were you take it, and just know it is going to be a winner.

This was my first time doing outdoor recreation outside of PHX, I am definitely going to have to do more of that. The mountains were beautiful and dramatic and not further away for me (1h 15m drive) than going to Saguaro NP or the desert museum down here. I will be hitting more areas as I get out an explore more.

Glad you liked the set José!
    Wow, that was an incredible video! Yeehaw!
    It was a great experience to see the BASE jumping in action --out of my comfort zone but fascinating.
    Here is a youtube video from the second location.

Interesting and diverse participants, too! In fact, the gal in the sunset photo is a wing suit pioneer. I found this video of a project that her non-profit worked on to be interesting.

Thanks guys, those three pics are my favorites too.

Thanks Will. I was surprised at how interesting and different the feel is from the B&W shots.
    Yeah, it was pretty out there at first light (another one from Peralta Canyon)

Annoying to say the least with the lack of focus at infinity on that lens as I have used it with good success before. I need to figure out if it is the lens or the adapter that is causing the problem but I will keep you in the loop. Some of the adapters I have aren't quite dead-on and require backing off a hair from the infinity mark on the lens to get focus...but this is something different--it is way off. I will do some experimenting and get back to you.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Well this is our great time of the year, before it gets toooo hot, so go and enjoy.
    • Like Like x 1