1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Argh, models move FAST, newfound respect for trying manual focus at a fashion show

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lapdog99, Mar 2, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    A local salon was using some of my photos from the city as a backdrop for a fashion show in the basement of the salon. I thought I would try to shoot a few photos
    with my 50 1.4 in black & white mode, using f2.8 - 4, and ISO 1600 to try to get some speed, without flash, but it was marginal and none of the photos were in sharp focus and there were half a dozen small
    lights pointed right at my seat, but here are a few photos... including one of the show photographers who could have been a model, Salon 560 model 2 DSC00667. Salon 560 model DSC00707. Salon 560 photographer DSC00641.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Ah yes, fashion shows - haven't done those, but I've done a few weddings... people and movement are always a challenge, even more so with MF. Don't you just love how confident models are and how they can just approach a camera as if meeting a real close friend? :)

Are you sure she's not part of the show as a model using a camera as a prop? lol

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I practice with our cat at home and as you say it is hard when she moves. I found the VC 35mm 1.4 rangefinder lens is easier to focus manually then the slr lenses. VC has shorter turn from near to infinity which makes it easier to catch focus vs slr lenses have longer turns which makes it good for precise focusing. It makes sense as rangefinders are for more street shooting and it helps to have the shorter turn to catch focus.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I agree with serhan, a rangefinder lens' short focus throw gives it an edge when you want to focus quickly and accurately which makes it perfect for shooting street (used in tandem with the NEX's focus peaking makes the set up quite ideal).

Good on you for giving it a go lapdog99, like Dioptrick I havent really anything along the lines of that only a weddings here and there and I agree mate, that show photographer could have been a model.