Argh! Alpha mount lenses have no IS?!?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WT21, Sep 18, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I was thinking I could adapt an alpha telephoto lens to my 5n with the proper adapter, but I think I just remembered that the alpha lenses do NOT have IS, making long telephotos nearly useless. Does anyone know if any alpha telephoto zooms have IS? Maybe even from Sigma or Tamron or something?
  2. Jeff Spangle

Jeff Spangle TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Leicestershire, UK
    Whatever did we do before IS? Just make sure your shutter speed is at least the same as the focal length.
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Alpha bodies have in-body stabilization, so naturally their lenses won't. You kinda really need to shoot with a tripod for tele above 200mm anyway.
  4. snkenai

snkenai TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Stephen Noel
    I don't use tripod for long lenses, only for macro or portrait "sitting". Use fence post, chair, door/window frame, rock, knee, etc. No IS needed. In fact, with the above methods, IS will actually soften the image many times. With practice, the long lenses are very easily stabilized with very small camera bodies. For instance, the Vivitar 70-210mm Series, is a big heavy lens, that I use on the E-p2 and others, free hand. And I have old shaky hands. So I have to use the "prop" method with all my lenses. Becomes second nature after a while, unless you/I am willing to settle for blurry pictures, which I am not.
  5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    OSS isn't everything. I plan to complete my setup with these new CZ lenses announced, and no single one of these has OSS. The effect is the same as on telephoto lenses - you just have to use shorter shutter speeds - and a tripod, when the lights get dim.