Are people still using the Sony 20/2.8 pancake?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by sven karma, Aug 16, 2017.

1. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    As I don't have any native lenses for my A5100 between the 12/2.8 and the 50/1.8, upcoming holiday suggests it would make sense to get something between the two for AF purposes. The lens showcase thread hasn't been added to in a while so I was wondering if people are still using the 20/2.8 and if so how they find it?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Have not used it in a while, but it is a great lens

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    BTW, the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 Art is an alternative worth considering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I prefer the Sony 20 to the Sigma 19. If the Sigma was anywhere near as sharp as their 30 and 60 that wouldn't be true but it isn't. The two lenses are similar in sharpness and focusing speed. The Sigma is less expensive. The Sony is smaller, quieter (doesn't have the Sigma rattle) and can be used with a Sony adapter that makes it a 16mm lens (haven't used it but from what I have read the adapter actually improves the lens' sharpness).

At this time I am waiting for a cheap Chinese 46mm lens hood to be delivered so that I can put my Sigma 19 up for sale on Ebay. Bought the lens used without a hood.

5. sven karma

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Yeah I had the S30 + S60 on m43, liked 'em a lot. But I didn't like the smooth focus ring of the v2 60 so I'd have to get the older grippy one, which on eBay UK seem to be pricier than the newer ones.

6. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    That was a good lens! I sold it along with my a6000 when I bought my a7.

7. lamontcranston

lamontcranston New to TalkEmount

Jul 18, 2017
    I compared the Sony 20/2.8 with the Sigma 19/2.8 extensively for my A6000. I read all the reviews and lens tests I could find. Finally decided on the Sigma 19/2.8 ART and couldn't be happier with my choice. I also have the Sigma 30/2.8 and they are both excellent choices. Neither has OSS (Optical Steady Shot) but I haven't noticed the need for it with these lenses.

8. sven karma

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Was in a camera shop yesterday, no 20/2.8 so I had a try of the 28/2. Seems like a nice lens but just not quite wide enough. Perhaps I should just sell all my possessions for an RX-1 :laugh1:

9. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The FE 28mm f/2.0 is going for $399 right now. I just ordered one... and the 21mm converter for another $199. Together, they're supposed to give me 21mm at f/2.8. They get good reviews, so here's hoping it works out.

10. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I just received the 2.0/28, a $399 offer from Adorama that that came with bunch of freebies included. I just tossed the freebies into a box but the lens is great. Sharp, small, light, quiet, fast focusing, good color. What's not to like. I passed on the 21mm and fisheye adapters as I rarely need wider than 28mm.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sven karma

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Bit the bullet and got the 20/2.8. It makes a tiny package with the A5100, fits in a jacket pocket I haven't been able to use since my m43 days with GF-3 & 14/2.5 so that's a result. The focus ring is small, but feels really well engineered.

What stopped me getting the 28/2 when I tried it - mostly the first camera that fitted in said jacket pocket was a Ricoh compact with a stepped zoom. Never once wished to be looking through a focal length between 35 - 50, and if I ever went FF I'd be trading it in for a 35.