Are all E-mounts built the same?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by p00kienrayray, May 26, 2015.

1. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray TalkEmount Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    I have a FD-NEX adapter that fits perfectly on my A7, but will not fit on my A7S (it's so tight that I feel like I'm gonna break the mount if I keep applying force. I use an FE Rokinon 14 that fits both bodies no problem. I've checked the mount on the A7S vs the A7, and to me they look the same, and the A7s doesn't look like it has any debris, or misaligned contact points, etc.

Anyone know what could be going on? I'm mounting the adapter onto the A7S the exact same way I am with the A7.

I can't really tell the difference between the mount tabs on the adapter vs the tabs on the Rokinon.

Unfortunately I don't have any native FE mount lenses to test.

2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Have a good look on the mounts on both cameras. You will see the A7 has a two part mount the has a metal outer but the tabs on the inner are plastic. The A7S has an all metal mount. Although they are the same mount it appears the all metal mount is a tighter fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    I don't have the A7 with at this point to look at it, but that makes sense. I know the A7 body is partial plastic but didn't know the mount was partial plastic as well. That's weird.

4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I believe there is a couple of reasons for the upgraded mount. With the A7/A7R there was complaints of lenses being wobbly when mounted and light leakage, not an issue I've had though. There are actually aftermarket lens mount you could buy to replace the original Sony mount.

The A7S also being marketed at videography it is likely very heavy Cin lenses would be mounted to them requiring a heavier duty mount.

5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The lens mount on my A7II is MUCH tighter than on my A7. Much has been made about strengthening the A7II's mount (to be similar to the A7S and A7R. Seemingly, that also made it tighter.

6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I have the same situation with my a7s. Pretty sure this is normal because of the all metal mount the a7s and the a72 share (pretty sure the a7r does not have this). You could probably try to slightly file down the adapter and it probably wouldn't take much. Though whether to file top or bottom of the e mount side of the flange I am unsure.

7. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    I was finally able to fit the adapter on there. Don't really want to take it off yet...at least it's really on there.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It's an adapter issue. As mentioned, the all metal mounts have less give and tighter tolerances that certain brands of adapters won't fit.
    I wouldn't force it on there. Some brands (seen on ebay) have listed their current adapters don't fit the following A7x models.

9. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    I've changed my A7 mount to an all metal one und now lenses fit a bit tighter.