APS-C owners need to contact Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by davect01, May 27, 2015.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    After looking over the most recent documents from Sony, the emphasis is clearly on E-Mount cameras, however, the APS-C side of the family is being quickly forgotten.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/aims-for-worlds-highest-resolution-system-camera/

Those of us APS-C faithful need to let Sony know we care about our cameras and will be greatly disappointed if they completely abandon us.

I have posted a link to the US Sony contact page.

http://store.sony.com/helpdeskcateg...ticle=component_sny_helpdesk_provide_feedback

2. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    But all of the full-frame lenses can be used on APS-C cameras. Right now it seems like the bigger issue is that all of the new lenses (with the exception of the SEL28 & SEL2870) are $$$ premium models but I think that will change ... eventually.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I myself do own an FF and greatly enjoy it. I am more than satisfied with mu 6000 and plan on keeping it for many years.

My concern is down the road, when the A6000 is old and tired will there be a replacement? I have no interest in FF, the price they demand, and the extra size.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I wish you well, Dave. But I suspect that Sony, like all major corporations, is driven by profits. And no amount of lobbying by part of their customer base is going to get them to invest in a technology if they don't see a profit at the end of that investment. I have no idea whether or not APS-C cameras earn Sony a profit. But I bet your efforts would pay off better if you lobbied your fellow users here and elsewhere to buy more Sony APS-C gear.

Sorry, I'm afraid that ship has sailed for me. :whistling:

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I don't think APS-C will get forgotten or abandoned. But profit is the driving motivation, totally agree with that.
    Point-n-shoot market will likely be abandoned due to low profit margins and demand (blame smartphones!).
    So, the APS-C fixed and ILC cameras will be the next level marketed to phone-agraphers (God! I hate that term.) as the logical upgrade.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Interesting thought...may well be the case, at least for the low end of the P&S camera line.
    I just upgraded our iPhones from 4s models to 6 and 6Plus models...they have incredible built in cameras...AND...a surprising variety of image related features like those found on today's digital cameras.

7. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Dave, I feel your pain. I was a point-and-shooter and phone-agrapher until I got my A3000. Now I am itching to upgrade to something more full-featured than the admittedly entry-level A3000, but I am not ready or monetarily able to take the leap all the way to full-frame. Twice now the A6000 has been on sale in the US for US$449 body-only (back in November-December for the Holidays, and again at the beginning of this May), and twice I've held off on the hope of a new model (the SAR-rumored A6xxx/A7000) coming perhaps with in-body image stabilization. But a new, higher-end APS-C model seems perpetually delayed.

That said, I am confident a new APS-C camera body is coming... sometime... and the latest SAR rumors, if you can believe them at this point, seem to indicate that it will be a more enthusiast or near-pro level model, more like the NEX-7 than not. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-new-a6xxx-is-weather-sealed/
    So I think Sony is still "committed" to releasing APS-C products, but I also understand that its real focus (and likely most of its camera profits) are on the A7 full-frame system and the lenses the FE-mount needs.

As for me, at this point, unless Sony announces an A6xxx/A7000 that is under $750 body-only with IBIS (yeah, right), and soon, I'm going to snap up an A6000 the next time it is on sale for US$150 or more off its original $650 body-only MSRP. ;)

8. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

The only lens I'd be interested in would be a fast 18 or 20 mm prime for casual shots but I don't hold my breath or wait for a miracle; not after 5 years in the e-mount circus. I really like my NEX-7 for what it is - a digital hi-res back for my primes as long as there's enough light. Anyone would be hard pressed to tell if any of my large prints (up to A0) had been shot with the NEX or one of the 24MP FF models, even side by side (read no need to upgrade to FF for me). So, apart from that fast 18mm I'm set - I have one on my X-Pro1 anyway and since they've apparently maxed out 24MP on APS-C there's little Sony can do to get any of my $$$$. The same goes for Fuji as long as they stick with that funky X-Trans CFA.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I'm pretty set with my A6000 right now, and very happy with it.

It is just sad to see that there may not be a future with the APS-C sized E-Mount.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've seen a lot of sky-is-falling sentiment regarding the APS-C line, and to be fair, exciting new lenses and a real "flagship" NEX-7 replacement are pretty long overdue.

Speaking of which, a new model rumored to be "above" the current A6000 is now strongly rumored.

And in the meantime there is the speed monster A6000, some good smaller and cheaper models and a relatively large assortment of native glass.

I wouldn't write off the future of APS-C e-mount, just yet.

11. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    By "fast", do you mean something with an aperture wider than f/2.8? I did a quick check on B&H, and there aren't many 18-20mm primes for ANY APS-C mirrorless system that are f/2 or faster. The Fuji 18/2 seems to be the exception... unless you're willing to go manual focus with Rokinon/Samyang/Bower. Granted, I think we can all agree that Sony's E-mount lens lineup has plenty of holes, but with all the third party lenses out there now, as well as the new FEs that work fine on APS-C, things are still getting better.
    And who knows, maybe a new APS-C lens will sneak out alongside this rumored new A6xxx/A7000. For me, I'd love to see a more affordable (non-Zeiss) AF 24/2.8 for APS-C E-mount, or a faster standard zoom, say a 16-55/2.8.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nexnut

I know Steve. The Fuji lens is OK, a nice to have on the X-Pro1 because of the OVF but gets outresolved by that fantastic kit lens at all apertures, lol. The XF 1855 is the finest kit lens I've ever owned and I've owned some.

The major issue I'm having with the Sony lenses is QC. Why do I have to buy 3 SEL20f28 to get one decently centered copy (with about 2.5 stops of vignetting) or, once I'm at it 6!!! SEL1855 and not a single one of them works as it should. Last time in Vienna I wanted to buy a SEL18200 but they didn't have a single copy that was sufficiently sharp at the long end (notwithstanding the usual centering issues). Others have had similar experiences. Oh well ... Luckily I have all the good glass I need for the job.

I'm not holding my breath, luckily I don't have to. Some years ago I almost switched camps but then Sigma came to the rescue with their 19/30mm twins. Then Tamron joined the party with their 18-200mm zoom lens. Both companies offer some of the best fast standard zoom lenses in the market with mounts for Canon, Nikon, ... but not for e-mount even though that shouldn't be too much of a problem for them. Those lenses might be a bit on the large side, but so are some of Sony's offerings but at least they deliver in the optical department and on top of that don't break the bank. What's holding them back?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    All good points there. Sorry for my ramblings.
    And the QC issues that you and others have noted is concerning to me. I haven't noticed them with my copies, but that's likely because I haven't looked closely enough... and wouldn't have known what to look for until recently.

14. Nexnut

I didn' t mean to imply that they do that on purpose but proper QC is a pretty pricey matter. A good part of the investments can be avoided in the design phase though (tolerances, etc...).

I know professional photographers who wouldn't know what to look for either or don't care too much in the first place and I doubt the average consumer of a low to mid-range APS-C kit enjoys brick wall tests as much as some of us do. So why on earth should any producer care too much about QC in those segments??? They fly by the numbers and are more concerned with their revenues and as long as the percentage of returned items (and the cost to replace or repair them) stays low enough there's no need to invest more in QC than absolutely necessary - read as little as ever possible.
    For completeness sake: I've had major quality issues with about any brand I've shot in the past - Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Rollei, Fuji, Tamron, Sigma, ... you name them (but 6 decentered kit lenses is quite something). Just google up any brand name + failure, problems, quality issues ... to get the idea. The only rig that hadn't caused me any trouble was my old Blad but that's a different story.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    IMO, I think an indicator of a corporations view on quality "for the sake of quality" and not $$$ can be seen in even seemingly lessor areas than just hardware.

For example, judging from various Forums / Posts over the past couple years, it's pretty common knowledge that the menus in the NEX product line could stand a lot of improvement in their organization.
    An even more simple example than reorganizing them, is how difficult would it have been / or would it still be to at least just alphabetize the listings that already exist in a given menu.

They have to know its not a good example of QC and it couldn't possibly take any major effort to clean up, yet they've just been left in the state that they're in.

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That sounds like a good idea, except that then they'd have to completely rearrange all of the menus for each language that they provide. And when it comes to terminology, some menu items may be named in a number of different ways. So when you scroll through an alphabetical list, which term should you be looking for?
    I can tell you that the menus in the A7 are an enormous improvement over the menus in my old NEX-6. So they haven't left them untouched.

17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Language translators...they certainly don't manually create a separate menu list for every language on the planet.

And if they improved the menus for the A7 they could improve them for the NEX line...obviously just aren't interested in Quality enough for the sake of quality vs. $$$ to make a little release available.
    Makes my point very well...

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Funny, I have had four bodies and about eight E-Mount lenses, no of which ever had any QC problems.

19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

The original NEX menu was functional, but for sure not quickly navigable. Once you got used to it, you could get around, but it was less than ideal. Clearly the original NEX's were point and shoot driven. However, with the A7 series and adaption into the A6000 the menu system has vastly improved. And with the ability to customize nearly every button and the FN button, I hardly have reason to go the menus.

20. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, that kind of was my point. If they alphabetized the menus, then they would have to create a separate menu list for each language, rather than simply translate them. Because each language has its own words for those menu items, and they don't often start with the same letter. So the order of the menu items would have to be different for each language. For instance, in German the word "lens" is "Objektiv." So the place it would fall in your menu scheme would be different than it would in the English menus.

It makes more sense to me to arrange menu items by their function, rather than their first letter.