1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apple to Retire Aperture in favor of new Photos app

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Hawkman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Techcrunch, The Loop, and 9to5Mac are all reporting direct information from Apple that the Aperture and iPhotos Mac applications will no longer be developed after the new Photos app showed off at WWDC 2014 comes to the Mac early next year.

Check those sites for more details. And that seems to answer the "when will Aperture get an update" question. Answer: never. The Photos app appears to include a number of Aperture-derived features however.

From The Loop: “With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture,” said Apple in a statement provided to The Loop. “When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS.”

Techcrunch further notes: "Apple says that it will provide compatibility updates to Aperture that allow it to run on OS X Yosemite, but will not continue to develop it. In addition, it is working with Adobe to work on a transitional workflow for users moving to Lightroom."

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well that was a waste of my £50 a few months ago wasn't it!

3. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    That is some good news. I hate the way Aperture & iPhoto managed photo libraries.

4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Glad I moved to Lightroom back at v.3. It was pretty clear that Apple had lost interest in most of their Pro apps. Also, Adobe was clearly compelled to go cross-platform (win/apple) which made it more likely to be around in the future.

Sorry Aperture.

Still, if the functionality of Photos OSX and if the libraries migration work, then it might not be a loss for Aperture users, though it better be a free app! I hope they allow you to shut off the faces recognition of iPhoto in Photos OSX. It's one reason I dumped iPhoto -- CPU-chewing face recognition that you couldn't turn off.

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Adobe has now issued a statement on their own company blog promoting Lightroom and their recent Photography Creative Cloud plan (US$10 per month for Photoshop and Lightroom) as a migration path for iPhoto and Aperture users. In comments on the blog they also note they are working on better means to migrate Aperture libraries to Lightroom.

6. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Sorry to hear that. I have actually held off from pulling the trigger on buying Aperture over the last several months out of concern that something like this might occur.

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Ditto here. Looking to this thread for further comment and suggestion.

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Until WWDC I was expecting an imminent update to Aperture, along the lines of what was done with Final Cut Pro and Logic, which would have meant re-buying (if you already had Aperture 3) through the Mac App Store (since the App Store doesn't handle upgrades well). Once WWDC came around, the new Photos app in Yosemite left a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt (i.e., F.U.D.) about the future of Aperture. I am actually glad that Apple has cleared this up well in advance of Yosemite's release and the Photos app's release. That's a little out of the usual "secrecy first" character for Apple, and welcomed by me in this case.

I will have to give serious consideration to the Photography Creative Cloud plan at US$10 per month. My only concern is my bad past experience with Adobe's convoluted Installer/Updater app which seemed to litter Mac hard drives (and Windows ones as well) with orphaned apps and files. I've shied away from Adobe software for a few years for largely that reason... once it's on your machine, it was very hard to get rid of completely.

9. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    The good news for me, I suppose is that (1) I switched to Lightroom recently; and (2) I did not migrate my old iPhoto and Aperture photos to Lightroom yet. Maybe they will work something out that makes it easier now!

10. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Take a look at CleanApp. It logs programs as you install them so if you want to delete everything in the future you know where all the debris is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I did get bogged down, migrating my old iPhoto library to Aperture - that would be great to see the process become all streamlined and automated.

12. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Sadly, this will reduce pricing pressure on Adobe. It was Apple that drove this software category cheaper, and Adobe followed.

13. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    That is a concern.

14. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Aperture was really only competing with Adobe's Lightroom, and Lightroom still competes in that area with DxO and Capture One, and Lightroom is priced right in the middle of them.

I think Adobe was surprised at how popular their Photographer plan was. I know they saw it as a niche product for photographers that had already owned a full copy of Photoshop & didn't want to switch to the new subscription. If you look at what they included in the Photographer plan, it was clearly aimed at independent professional photographers. That's why the plan included Behance Prosite web hosting & 20 gigs of cloud storage instead of Revel (and originally only registered owners of previous versions of CS3+ could join the plan). I think they expected hobbyist photographers would migrate toward boxed copies of Lightroom & PS Elements instead of PS CC, but then all these people signed up for the photographer plan. Lots of new users at $10 a month is a lot of unexpected free cash flow.

Now I that I've played around with their new mobile apps and seen their presentation, it's clear they are now aiming this plan at more casual photographers. They still include the 20 gigs of cloud storage and Behance hosting, but they don't bother to advertise it. The mobile Lightroom app could be used in a professional workflow, but mainly for culling, flagging, rating, sorting, etc. So if they're targeting non-professional users, I expect this $10/mo pricing is going to stick around for a while.

15. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Agreed, but back when there was mainly only Aperture, and then Lightroom, Aperture dropped their price first, and Adobe followed suite. If CaptureOne and DxO can keep the pressure up, then that's good, but less choice is usually less good for the consumer.

16. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's sooo sad. I love Aperture! The user interface is just awesome, and managing photos with Aperture is so much fun. I can't believe they did this ... I'll continue using it anyway, as long as I don't have a camera which it doesn't support. At that point, I'll just move on to CaptureOne Pro. I know, the UI doesn't nearly look as intuitive, but at least it's much more powerful in editing photos than any of the competing software, so maybe - just maybe - this will be two steps forward and just one step back.

As for prizing - Aperture and Lightroom were the two giants with the market share. CaptureOne, DxO and all the others are relatively small. They're either built for working professionals (CaptureOne) or for pixel peepers (DxO) (note: that's not an insult on any DxO user!). So they're niche products in a way where they simply wander around the giant potential group of buyers - the hobbyists and enthusiasts. Still, I doubt Adobe will increase the prize anytime soon - it's a prize that works for them while still seeming fair.

17. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm hoping that there isn't "too" much of a change from iPhoto to Photo App 2015.
    I barely use any post processing and only use the included processing software in iPhoto to tweak my photos.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm afraid I have to disappoint you, but from all we know, the Mac "Photo" app will be similar to Apple's iOS 7 "Photo" app, especially when it comes to the interface. Photos will probably be sorted automatically by location and date taken rather than manually like in iPhoto, and adjustments may be destructive. Although I hope for the best for the app (and I'm sure editing options will be at least as refined as the ones in iPhoto), I'm pretty sure it's built to feed the instagram crowd more than us photographers.

Seems like it's time to move on. Just looked at CaptureOne Pro 7, and I'm so glad they introduced a library-based asset management system with that version. I only tried version 6 before, and though I loved the editing part, the management part just didn't cut it, especially compared to Aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

Thanks Poki.

I'm going to have to see how they plan to migrate iPhoto to Photo App...I don't like my photos to be stored in a "iCloud" base. :(

20. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, (i)Cloud is the future. At least that's a point where I agree with Apple.

By the way, just found a screenshot of the OS X Photos App. Doesn't seem too bad (apart from the auto-managed library which manages by date - hate that approach). To be honest, looks better than iPhoto, especially if it's actually built on a "PhotoKit", which allows it to be modular and lets it integrate all kinds of algorithms.

Screenshot: https://www.apertureexpert.com/site...phics/tips/photos-for-os-x_apertureexpert.jpg

• Like Like x 1