Apparent coincidence on A7 III

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
In the ILSE A 7 III I have C1 customised to certain settings I consider as default for the most used situations.
Like a SOS feature ! In case I mess everything I return to my defaults rotating the dial. However... careful must be taken !

As I am not a pro I rarely use the customisations of the camera but I am always interesting to know the power within.

1. Regardless what my C1 is set to, I have discovered that it doesn't remember my Zebra Display settings when this one is changed. I only photograph, no video, mind you.

2. Now the most interesting and curious part.
See this bellow ? Control Wheel and C1 for ISO ? The same function on both ? Absurd !
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

2. a) I have set the Control Wheel to change the ISO allowing me to change it while watching the EVF. Super even if it looks too sensitive and slow
Aperture priority all the time !

b) I have set C1 to ISO and it allows to change it's max value and the value itself

Isn't that amazing ? :laugh:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Keep these posts coming Antonio. I'm learning more about my A7iii thru them than I am thru actual use.

For a while I thought if I was in Focus Mag mode I had to click all the way thru it before the shutter would release.
Not so I found out the other day. Don't know/remember what I changed going from one mf lens to the next but it will now release the shutter as soon as I get the focus correct when in Focus Mag mode.
Maybe I wasn't pushing the shutter button correctly. DOH!

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep these posts coming Antonio. I'm learning more about my A7iii thru them than I am thru actual use. For a while I thought if I was in Focus Mag mode I had to click all the way thru it before the shutter would release. Not so I found out the other day. Don't know/remember what I changed going from one mf lens to the next but it will now release the shutter as soon as I get the focus correct when in Focus Mag mode.
Maybe I wasn't pushing the shutter button correctly. DOH!
It does happen that certain function act differently according to others.
What I mean: a function has a command if another one is in position 1. If we change to position 2 the function may not work at all or even return another result.
However, do not ask me to demonstrate such assertion. :laugh:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Not quite following you why your Zebra settings would be lost. Once set, those should not change with custom button activations. You did mention resetting to defaults. That action will delete all settings.
As for ISO, the control wheel's default 'right' button is for ISO, which you have assigned to C1. I prefer the default placement, and I free up C1 for my prioritized choice.
You can also access ISO via the Fn button's menu.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Regarding the Zebra.
1. I have the rotate dial to my settings on the position 1
2. The zebra number was 100 at this point
3. I changed the zebra to a Custom number (109)
4. I rotated the dial to another position
4. I went back to position 1 and...
5. The zebra was not in 109 but in 100

I concluded that the zebra value had not been saved and assumed in position 1

And why have I thought so ?
Because there are settings we change that do not interfere with the saved settings in this instance position 1

I am not sure if I made myself clear... my English is rather poor, you know (not ironic)

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Regarding the Zebra.
1. I have the rotate dial to my settings on the position 1
2. The zebra number was 100 at this point
3. I changed the zebra to a Custom number (109)
4. I rotated the dial to another position
4. I went back to position 1 and...
5. The zebra was not in 109 but in 100

I concluded that the zebra value had not been saved and assumed in position 1

And why have I thought so ?
Because there are settings we change that do not interfere with the saved settings in this instance position 1

I am not sure if I made myself clear... my English is rather poor, you know (not ironic)
Ah OK. Yes, it won't be saved in such an operation with the dial. It's operating correctly. You programmed a set of values into No.1 and anytime you turn it and return it goes back to the programmed values.
To retain the Zebra value of 109, it must be entered via the Menu screen. I also default to 100 for Zebra and has worked best for me.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
However, there are settings which don't need the "Save again" of the preset.
I mean, the pre-set is kept regardless the change of the parameter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom