Aperture Mode on the sony a7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Yo Yo, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Yo Yo

Yo Yo New to TalkEmount

Apr 14, 2015

I have a question about a 3rd party lens and the Aperture Mode on the sony a7
    1. Camera and 3rd party lens work great on the Auto Mode
    2. Switch to Aperture Mode
    3. Does the camera set the film speed & shutter speed when using a 3rd party lens?
    4. I can adjust the aperture from the 3rd party lens
  2. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    David K Fonseca
    Yes, if you are using a MF legacy lens with manual aperture control and set the A7 to Aperture priority, the camera will adjust ISO and SS based on the EV setting you choose and it ignores the aperture. It basically just takes exposes for the light coming in. So as you stop down on the lens you should see the SS and ISO change. When the shutter speed gets down to 1/60th, the camera will then start bumping the ISO to gain proper exposure. You can then tweak and adjust with the EV dial to get the right balance you need for the shot. Its really a rather powerful way to shoot.

I also like to use Shutter Priority and set the Shutter speed when I am in low light and shooting people. The ISO will still adjust in AutoISO mode to achieve the proper exposure and I can choose what my DOF will be with my aperture. It sort of like shooting manual however you still have the camera making ISO choices for exposure and you can still fine tune with the EV dial. A kind of hybrid manual shooting style ;)
    • Like Like x 2