Aperture is officially dead. (iPhoto too)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by stephen431, Jun 27, 2014.

1. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Too bad. I've been wanting to try out Aperture but haven't got the chance to do so. Hopefully they'll integrate Aperture's functionalities in the new Photos app. But it seems highly unlikely they'll do it with the coming release, perhaps in the future version.
  3. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Oh..Dang! :protest_emoticon:
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    I'll be happy so long as you can brush stuff in, that's the main bonus Aperture has over iPhoto.
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Well, I never ever used iPhoto or Aperture for anything, but if the new app doesn't trip your trigger those Adobephobes amongst us might consider Pixelmator as an image editing app. Add RAWTherapee for RAW conversion and you'd be pretty well set up for pretty low cost.

And there's an iPad version of Pixelmator now as well. I may have to dive into this again. My last visit left me wanting layers, which it now supports. Hmmm... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Pixelmator is fine as long as you only need basic edits. People might say Pixelmator has 90% of the functions of Photoshop. But this is simply not true, and the workflow is sooo much better in PS. I might be biased since I earn my money using Photoshop (amongst some other software, mainly Adobe CC related), but I never would recommend doing any serious image manipulation / composite in Pixelmator if you can have Photoshop too.

As for a RAW converter - spending less than €30 is not too much to ask for to get the RAW converter with the probably best image quality (Capture One Pro) - and a quite clever workflow once you get around it (granted, that took longer than with any other RAW converter I've ever used). Still, there's so much personal preference in using a RAW converter, so try all the big ones out (all offer free trials) and decide afterwards. But after spending hundreds, even thousands of bucks for camera equipment, going cheap with the RAW converter simply isn't worth the saving. Don't forget - you'll probably spend just as much time with the RAW converter as with your camera equipment.