Anything intresting here?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Dec 14, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    go ahead and make me feel bad :p

i-X9tNt56-M.

i-L954ZRf-M.

i-mCG7xnn-M.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Um, what are these?

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sorry, doesn't happen to do anything for me

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    At least there must have been something interesting for you, otherwise you wouldn't have pressed the shutter button. I see some potential in the scene, the second one conveys most of it IMHO, it's a kind of scene I might have explored myself if I had encountered it. However, unfailingly I end up throwing away this kind of pictures, so apparently I have no talent for this style of photography.

Tell us why you 1) made these shots and 2) presented them here. That way I'd be able to comment in a more effective way. Flaunting pictures hoping someone else sees something in them you don't, isn't going to bring you very much I'm afraid. Feeling bad enough now? :evilsmile:

• Like Like x 3
  5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I was sitting over my desk when I saw the morning sun coming out... There I also had a fan for the summer time and I liked how it was backlit . I then played a bit with the focus, focusing either on the outer skeleton of the fan or at the dirty window which looked intresting enough as the light was also lighting up the details.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    switch them to B&W and amp up the contrast and they would all make lovely abstract images.

I love a strong patterned abstract B&W myself, I am guessing you were attracted to the strong contrast between the light and dark.

I have taken a number of abstract pics like this myself, again boring subjects but nice patterns etc,
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438234063/" title="B&amp;W Abstract 1 by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr"> 11438234063_52e199e5d1_b. "1024" height="682" alt="B&amp;W Abstract 1"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438233113/" title="B&amp;W Abstract 2 by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr"> 11438233113_bd1b571c43_b. "1024" height="682" alt="B&amp;W Abstract 2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438100654/" title="B&amp;W Abstract 3 by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr"> 11438100654_1c6f925e08_b. "823" height="1024" alt="B&amp;W Abstract 3"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438235033/" title="B&amp;W Abstract 4 by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr"> 11438235033_3b1942b2bb_b. "811" height="1024" alt="B&amp;W Abstract 4"></a>

I would say turn on the Dynamic range optimisation if you are shooting Jpegs, this will get you more depth out of a dark scene like this and work on drawing the viewers attention to a particular nice part of the abstract with the rule of thirds etc.

go back another morning and try the scene again, try something different and try them in B&W

• Like Like x 4
  7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks for the answer.
    I liked your suggestion, so I am giving it a try

i-5CsTKWN-M.

i-v736Fd8-M.

i-n9sPX3Q-M.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Much better ;)

9. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Much nicer, well done, try to focus on the shapes, composition and contrast in light and dark then reshoot. Don't be afraid to underexpose the dark elements, having blown out black is fine when going for contrasty abstracts. Interested to see more of you pics. :)

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1