1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone using the OM 24/2.8 on a NEX 7?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 14, 2017.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I have an Olympus OM 24/2.8 on route. In the past I have used an OM 28/3.5 with great results on both a Fuji X-P1 and NEX 5n but the results I am getting with the NEX 7 are pretty disappointing. The best way to descibe it is that the images look like they lack resolution. I'm not seeing the same kind of thing on my Nikkor and Hexanon lenses. Is anyone out there using an OM 24/2.8 and NEX 7 and how do you like the results?

I have the option to return the lens so it's not the end of the world if I have to.

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I can only share my results with these models on my a6000. The OM 24 looks great. Regarding the OM 28-f/3.5, I had two...one is optically great, while one revealed signs of being dropped....a slight dent and decentering. After disassembling it and carefully putting it back together after correcting issues with the body, it remained de-centered. None of the usual steps for addressing de-centering worked. One side of the frame remained unclear. You may have one that's de-centered. OM's were notorious for it.
    I recall, this model can be taken apart rather easily. You can check the front and rear objectives for alignment. You may be able to dial back the sharpness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    Hmmm...you might be right. The OM 28/3.5 that I have now is a different one than the one I used with the Fuji body. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be the lens itself. It's good to know that you've had good luck with the 24 on the a6000.

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I have a 24/2 and a 24/2.8, both later versions. I've also had another copy of a later 24/2.8 that I wasn't too happy with. With regards to sharpness the first two are already pretty sharp wide open but all three 24mm Zuikos definitely fall short in the microcontrast department, especially compared to the SEL24f18Z and my copies of the 24/2.8 AiS Nikkor and a Konica 24/2.8 Hexanon I've owned for a while.

5. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I have an old Nikkor N 24/2.8 that's terrific on the NEX 7 and based on how well my Hex 50/1.4 works I suspect the Hexanon 24/2.8 would be similarly nice. I'll give it a look but I'm leaning toward just sending the Olympus back and calling it good.

6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Me too, Kevin. I just moved back to Spain and left some boxes with stuff I don't need anymore at my friends' place. I'll sell some glass and my Fuji X-Trans gear when I get back next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    25306625558_7bfd6cbeab_b.
    jabba the leaf
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

The OM 24/2.8 arrived. It's an older black nose SC version. It's definitely sharp. It's nicer than the previous 3 copies of this lens I've had. So that's a positive. Of course, I'm not sure that I would choose to use it over my Nikkor N 24/2.8. It seems like a very capable lens but it's most appealing characteristic to me is that it's small. Not feelin' it so far.

I'll take it out tomorrow and see what I can do with it. The weather is supposed to be decent.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Welcome back dear friend Ken Nexnut :Welcome:

9. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I've come to the conclusion that the OM 24/2.8 is just not a lens I am ever going to like. My current copy seems fine. It's certainly sharp and it seems to work just fine on the NEX 7 but I'm not loving it either. If I can't return it I'll just keep it along with the 28/3.5 for when I want to go as small as possible.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Can you post a picture of it on your -7 Kevin?

11. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    38302438875_f52c625c11_b.
    N7OM24
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Here ya go. It's a pretty small setup. We're not talking Pen-F small but smaller than most adapter SLR lenses.

BTW, the seller on eBay offered a return so I'm probably going to take them up on it and use the refund to fund something I will get more use out of.

12. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks!
    It does look pretty small.
    I got my Nikkor 24 out and it has yet to leave my camera. Had a good time shooting car pics last weekend. It worked fine for that.

13. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    Love my Nikkor 24/2.8 and I looked it side by side with the OM 24 and the size difference isn't that big. I'm more than willing to take he better handling and more pleasing IQ of the Nikkor over the size of the Olympus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.