1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using Linux ?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amamba, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am fed up with W10. Period. I am not buying a new machine either.

Tried Linux Mint, and for the first time ever I have no issues whatsoever right after installation - video works, sound works, even my scanner works after little research (not a small feat for Linux and me). I really only need a desktop for photo processing - pretty much everything else is done on an iPad.

In the past, I've tried UFraw (too basic) and RawTherapee (a lot of potential, but in the end I think they need to remove one last letter from the program name to make it really descriptive ;) ). Now I've tried Darktable for the first time, and I am very much impressed... so far. Here's a sample photo with sharpening, highlight recovery, and even some local edits (in RT I'd be swearing at the screen at that point). You can see where I hit a wall - the halo around the building created by the Highlight recovery, I tried to use local edits on that area, but found the DT approach to them very complicated. Anyway, this is far better than anything I ever got out of RT.

30224606731_f52e710db2_b. 2013 Chicago with MMM-81 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

For dedicated pixel level editor, there's always the good ol' Gimp.

I don't know yet how to calibrate my monitor, and honestly am afraid even to approach this. However comparing my computer screen to iPad, it seems to be very close - far better than the default profile in Windows.

So, the question... anything else Linux and photography related I may want to look at ? Any decent utilities ? Tips & tricks ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Used to run Linux Mint a few years ago on a laptop. I found it to be the best of the distributions. I moved to a free copy of Win7 and now Win10. The only reason to retain it was to run Capture One for Sony. Otherwise.... :-/
    Good to know about Darktable for linux. Thanks for the heads up. I may go to Linux Mint for a some older dual-cored 64-bit desktops still running XP.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Out of curiosity, what makes you so fed up with Windows 10? I find it to be very stable myself.

Not that I have anything against Linux. I have had it installed on my computers before, though none of them at the moment and it has been a few years since I last did. It was fine for everyday use, but I did not feel I could get the niche applications at the same level as I could on something more popular. (Had a Mac laptop for a brief period, too, it was alright.) That, and I do a bit of gaming. But maybe things have changed. At the time, Darktable was still unfinished and somewhat prone to problems, though it looked pretty promising. I could never get the hang of Gimp, but again maybe it has improved.

With Microsoft's moves to control my Windows 10 setup, I have considered switching to Linux again. It will be interesting to see your experience (and anyone else here).

4. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    The Gimp is an image editor that's been compared to photoshop. The interface is very different though, and sometimes puts people off.

5. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Where do I start ?

• The latest Nvidia driver causes major slowdown. Removing it helps until MS updates it again. Haven't found a way to stop this update.
    • When I removed the NVidia card and switched to the motherbard built in one, I started getting software related screen corruption every time the system goes to sleep.
    • Startup time is at least triple what it used to be when I updated the system.
    • This is my 3rd W10 install. The last two were removed due to Metro app malfunctions and slowdowns.
    The computer is fairly new.

7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Under those circumstances, I would be fed up myself.

On the flip side, I have not seen anything near those problems or I would have rolled back to Win7 long ago. Not to completely let MS off the hook, but those NVidia problems are likely NVidia's drivers, which have been problematic from the Win10 release.

If I can find some time to mess around, I may just dual boot Linux for a while and see the current state of things.

8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I used Gimp with pretty good results around 2007-2009 or so. It's not bad, and has some good plugins. Some (like Wavelet Denoise, Sharpen, and many special effect filters) were surprisingly good. But it seems that there was precious little development in all those years. AFAIK, still no adjustment layers. And the memory management was poor, the brushes tended to stutter - don't know if they fixed that. But I mainly need a good raw processor with local edit capability, I rarely used pixel level editor anyway. So Gimp will do just fine.

9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, will check it out.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Same here after a half year's struggle with Windows 10. However, I bought a new machine, an Apple iMac, because Linux doesn't allow me to use Photoshop and Lightroom plus a host of other programs. I've tried Linux some years ago and finally left it because so many desireable programs don't run on it. Now with Parallels on the iMac, I feel I have the best of both worlds, a stable platform running Lightroom and Photoshop, and a way out to Windows 10 for programs that run only there. I must say that Windows 10 on Parallels runs like a charm: I told my wife her next computer is going to be a Mac Mini with Parallels and Windows 10.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Not to be a Windows apologist. In fact I rarely get into these discussions, but today I feel compelled to vent.

Windows is a an OS that supports infinite hardware configurations. This flexibility and freedom does come at a cost. It is dependent on countless manufacturers writing appropriate drivers that work harmoniously together. Android and Windows are the only OS to even attempt support this level of flexibility, they are also the most maligned. This is no coincidence. It is a wonder Windows is as stable as it is.

What I find inconsistent and is how people reconcile the fact that when searching for a windows PC or an Android phone, many factors are important. They make it a point to consider options like Price, CPU, graphics cards, RAM, speed, frame rates, touch/no touch, and of course upgradeability. They even discuss form factor, color, and what ever they can think of as a reason for why they chose a particular PC. You get the impression that they cannot and will except compromises. When the combination of customized hardware has an issue, they blame Microsoft's crappy OS. It's not like they bought a Microsoft Surface Pro and complained.

Conversely, when they leave Microsoft for for something like Apple or Linux, nothing matters except what that OS offers. Suddenly choice is irrelevant. Limited software and hardware choices are fine; proprietary hardware, ports, and lack of upgrade path is fine. My favorite software not supported; that's fine too. And the big one, the Mac that cost 4 times more than the previous home built PC and cheap Dell works so much better". Is this even logical?

Look it's fine people like one OS over another. There are several reasons to do so, but keep the comparisons in context. If I were building a house and were choosing between contractors, I wouldn't asked one contractor to build a customized home to my expectations in the neighborhood and lot of my choice for a specific price and then tell the other contractor I was OK with a prefab unit in a neighborhood of their choosing at whatever it costs as long as it was nice. Would that make sense?

For the record. I am no fanboy of any platform. I go with whatever works for me. I just like objective arguments. In my home I have several Windows PC/laptops, a Windows server, 4 iPhone, an iPod touch, 2 Android tablets, and a linux based NAS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have an off the shelf system that came with W8 pre-installed. It worked fine until a MS update started causing all kinds of problems.
    I am no MS basher. I am simply tired of the fact that without exception, every single Windows system I've ever had would slow down within 6 month, even if no additional software was installed after the initial setup. I think this has something to do with them still using the Registry. W10 started great, then it would give me all kinds of problems.

This is also the reason I gave up on Android and went over to iOS. Every single bad thing I used to say about Apple still stands, but at least I now have tablets and phones that work the same today as they did two-three years ago. The new OS may have slowed down some of my older devices a bit, but they are still reliable and predictable and work when I need them to.

One thing about Linux, it's also pretty predictable - unless things get out of whack due to an update or tinkering, but unlike W10 I have full control over this. An old laptop I put Ubuntu on two years ago still works the same.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I get you. Linux predictability isn't true because the only thing that applies to is the core OS. Everything else is an add-on. Even the UI is an add-on. People just find something that works for them and they live with it. Give Linux to your grandma and see how she likes it. As for Windows. Your pre-built system is not much different than a home built system accept someone else built it. You are not buying a Microsoft Surface Pro and using it with Microsoft Windows. Companies make crappy systems and they make good systems and run windows on it. They are trying to maximize profit in a very competitive market that serves many demographics. That is not what Apple is up against. Windows updates the OS and companies don't update their drivers properly, it's windows fault. Companies bundle their crapware and and drivers for their custom motherboards and it's windows fault.
    Same thing with Android, companies make crappy phones and run android on it. I recently tried to help a friend who had a freebie android phone that slowed to a crawl after a year. She gave up and bought the latest iPhone and says she will never get android again. lol. FWIW - Google Nexus phones and Tablets run fine for years. I know because I have a 3 year old Nexus 7 that runs the latest OS perfectly. I know People who have Microsoft Surfaces and swear by them. If you are going with a company that controls both the hardware and software, and limits both, of course there will be less issues. Why do you think Apple continues to produce iPhone with the same resolution/pixel pitch as the original iPhone 4. Or why they had so many issues when they finally introduced the already ubiquitous 16x9 format to iPhone 5? Suddenly people were complaining about how apps didn't look right on their iPhone 5. They basically had 2 device types and it cause them problems. Imagine if they supported thousands. Once you introduce variables, it becomes more difficult to remain predictable. There is no magic, it's just obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I suppose it is my own fault for asking what was wrong with Windows. I initially thought of writing a post much like Gary's, but in my experience people usually have their opinions and don't want to hear it.

Honestly I am no fanboy either and have used most platforms widely available over the years (and some not so widely). In my experience, in business and consumer settings, a large majority of problems are caused by either poor quality hardware, or lousy 3rd-party vendor software (drivers primarily). Many of the early problems people had with Windows 10, for instance, was because Windows 10 compatible drivers were not available. Had they waited until their vendors put out updated software, they would have had a much better experience.

Businesses often buy a better class of hardware than most consumers, from vendors committed to long term support. Consumers tend to buy on price and seldom consider vendor support. Take what you pay for an Apple computer and spend the same on Windows and you are very likely to have a great experience. I would argue you can spend significantly less and still have a great experience. I could cite all kinds of experience with computers currently reliably running Windows 24x7. I run my own computers at home 24x7, one I built myself, and for the most part have no issues. Now I have supported a number of individuals at their homes, mostly problem solving. The largest share of problems were either due to low quality hardware, poor vendor software support, or because they had some malware (a whole 'nother topic). Or they tried to fix things themselves without knowing what they were doing.

Likewise, there were some problems with earlier versions of Android. All my Android devices work great for the last several iterations of that OS, and yes I have also had iOS devices (for work) among others. They work fine, too, but Android is no less solid in my experience. And upgrades to later versions are once again down to vendor support.

Honestly, I have nothing against Apple. They have some very nice premium products, and some people prefer the interface. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. If it works better for you, great. But the generalizations that Windows (or Android) is crappy are in my experience really not justified. More than likely, you should be pointing fingers at whoever made your computer or device.

I hope know one takes my post personally, because it is not meant to be. Use whatever works for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I hate ALL operating systems. I just hate some more than others. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014