1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone used both the NEX 3c and 5n? Thinking about one or the other

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 12, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I had a NEX 3, but I sold it for lack of lenses, and I also really dislike the shutter sound (a personal quirk, I know). Finally, the IQ just wasn't so "wow"

But the new Sony sensor seems even better, with it's better micro lenses, so I thought I'd try NEX again. I really want a 7, but there's completely no way I can afford that. I'll have to wait until it 6-12 months, for it to drop beneath $1,000 at least.

But in the meantime, I'm thinking of trying either a 3c or a 5.

I've read the tech specs, but what are the real, practical differences between the two?

having owned an m43 camera with clip-on EVF, I decided I don't like them (hence the desire for the 7), so we can therefore discount that.

The 5 seems to have 100 ISO, faster burst rate (though a smaller buffer???) and 1080p60fps movies (not sure if I care about that, to be honest). Not sure I care about faster burst (10fps vs. 5.5), so that leaves 100 ISO, which is helpful. It also has that half electronic shutter option for quiter shutter release. I've been trying to find a video of that, but with no luck.

I was wondering if anyone here has handled both, and has anything else to input on them? Or, if you've witnessed both shutters, I'd love feedback on the sound differences, especially if you have a video of the 5n shutter going (in "quiet" mode).

The last thing to add is -- it seems the 3C can be had for under $400 (body only, used). Given this is not intended to be a long term camera, I'm wondering if maybe economically speaking, that might be the way to go. But I might actually want the 18-55, for when I get tired of MF, or for when my wife wants to use it...

2. anonsailor

anonsailor Guest

Aug 30, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I think for the $50 cost difference, stay with the 5N

3. bosker

bosker TalkEmount Rookie

I played around with the 3C in the store and would say the shutter is louder then the 5N, after acquiring the 5N I wouldn't suggest getting the 3C unless it becomes way cheaper. The 5N is hands down a better camera - the touch screen can speed things up considerably. However unless your willing to experiment with third-party lenses you still are going to have to wait and see what comes out for the e-mount. I for one own a micro 4/3 pen and have acquired some panasonic lumix lenses and love that system, however the low-light capability and color rendition of the NEX-5N is exceptional.

4. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I concur with bosker. I had every intention of upgrading my original NEX-3 to the 3C but after handling it in the store I went with the 5N. My biggest problem with the 3C was the size - they made it too damn small. Activating the jog wheel or the MF assist button now takes some thumb contorting, which I did not have to do on the 3.

And certainly the 5N shutter is worlds better. With the 3C you have two mechanical noises - 1. Shutter opening 2. Shutter closing - thus that signature NEX "chu, chunk" noise. On the 5N, you have an electronic 1st curtain shutter for most modes so you halve the duration of the noise. The volume also seems a bit more dampened.

5. idoblu

idoblu TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    It's Nex-C3 not Nex-3C which is an old model number meant for the Chinese market