1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone used an EF-NEX adapter w/ Aperture Control and Auto focusing?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I'm considering getting one of these bad boys for my NEX camera because I miss shooting my my EF 50mm/1.8 and my Tamron 17-35mm/2.8-4.0
    Viltrox EF NEX Camera Lens Ring Mount Adapter for Canon EF to Sony NEX Mount US | eBay

The Tamron was super sharp and I actually placed 1st in a school photo contest with it. I loved that lens on my Canon T1i and it was on for about 75% of the time.

The Nifty Fifty is dear to me because I got it from my best friend. I'd love to use it with my NEX to show that I still care about that particular lens.

I currently have a 28/50/85 setup with my MD lenses and I'm lacking in the WA department. I can't find a decent WA lens on a MD mount except for the Tamron 17mm/3.5 which cost about the same price as the adapter.

The Tamron 17-35mm would look like a monster compared to the F3, killing the ultra-portability aspect (It's as big as a 17-40L but not as heavy due to it's plastic material). But it's such a sharp lens...

Also, I kind of miss having autofocus. MF gets a little cumbersome. But then again since Sony and Canon have two different focusing systems I doubt it's going to focus well.

Should I pay for the EF-NEX adapter or go with the Tamron 17mm/3.5?

2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I wish I had some good advice but I don't. The reason I keep my T2i is that I want to continue using my Canon EF-S lenses. I haven't found any evidence that the NEX is a suitable match for them.

I found this video review on youtube, which you might have seen already. It says that aperture control and IS works but not autofocus.
    [video=youtube;B95c_8k7Db8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95c_8k7Db8[/video]

I guess you could always buy the adapter to try it. If it doesn't work you can sell it on?

Or pick up the T1i again?

3. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    I would pick up the T1i but one of the reasons why I can't really use it anymore is because the viewfinder got cracked from an accident. It's functioning and focusing but I just can't see. I'll get it replaced soon.

Thanks for the heads up about the autofocusing issue. I didn't realize that this model didn't auto focus. there are some adapters that DO autofocus, but they're sold direct from China and it'll take a month to deliver. I chose the Viltrox because it's sold in the US and it'll ship in 3-4 days. :D

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    The adapters I bought from China took about ten days to arrive, if that makes any difference. In these days of air shipping, I find that it's your local delivery service that's the bottleneck.

Let us know how you do.

5. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Don't worry, I'll keep you guys updated :D Thanks Jaf!