Anyone use the Sony 24-70 f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by JonathanF2, Apr 29, 2018.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I've been entertaining the idea of consolidating the rest of my Nikon kit into Sony, but I have a few questions for those that own the lenses I'm looking at. I'm mainly looking at the 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE lenses.

I currently have the 24-120mm f4 VR and 70-200mm f4 VR for Nikon. The 24-120mm f4 VR is okay up until 105mm and softens up at 120mm and needs some stopping down to get sharp, the good thing is they're cheap ($400-500) and pretty good from 24mm to 105mm with nice contrast and colors. I've heard mixed reports of the Sony 24-70mm being less sharp, but most agree it's sharp in the middle which isn't a problem for me.

Next is the Sony 70-200mm f4 FE and that's the lens I'm most concerned about. DXO rates it less sharp when comparing it to the Nikon 70-200mm f4 VR, which is the second sharpest telephoto zoom lens in Nikon's line-up. My other concern are the reports of Sony 70-200mm f4 lenses snapping in two halves. I've never seen that issue with other 70-200mm lenses, so it kind of worries me, especially since Sony doesn't directly repair their equipment like Nikon. I'm not sure if this problem has been rectified or if it's something to be still concerned about.

Ideally, if Tamron was also doing a 70-200mm f4 FE in conjunction with the upcoming 28-75mm 2.8 FE, that would make my decision much easier!

Anyways, input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Can't help you with your lens inquiry.
    But wanted to point out why the FE 70-200 f/4 has this failure mode. The lens' construction is a two-piece design that is joined in the middle. It's screwed together. But if you drop it hard enough, the failure will be at the joint. Hence it appears to break in half.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Hi Jonathan. I own the 24-70mm f4 and I am completely happy with it. I do not have any issues at all.
    One of a number of images shot yesterday. _DSC7854.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  4. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Jonathan : I might add this image is SOOC.

5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I understand it's most likely a design issue, but it seems there are quite a few people who've experience breaks while even in their bag. I'm just wondering if this issue is just blown out of proportion due to the internet or a more frequent occurrence?

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The FE 70-200 4 was one of the first lenses I bought. I have been using it for almost 3 years now. Never heard anything about the “issue” you’re describing about breakin in half

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Good to hear Nick. How's the sharpness of the lens throughout the focal range?

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This is a well documented issue with the 70-200 F4. So much so that it played a part in me buying it. Just google it and you will find several instances on DPR, Fredmiranda, Reddit. You will see images and more. Who knows how bad it is because 20 occurrences on the internet may be the only ones that happened. I know I would definitely report that happening to me. Even so, it is not fake.

Note that while the GM clearly has better build quality it's foundation seems to be the same shell design as the F4 and it has inherited the design flaw.

Here is an excerpt from the very respectable Lensrental tear-down of the lens. Note the teardown was prompted by the lens failing to focus after being dropped.

"we learned that dropping your lens is bad, so don’t do that.
    Third, 1mm thick aluminum plates maybe shouldn’t be used to hold two halves of a heavy lens together. And yes, Fanboy, I know the Sony engineers are smarter than I am. They designed 962 really great parts that I couldn’t have designed. But it doesn’t take massive engineering knowledge to figure out that the thinnest piece of soft metal shouldn’t hold the two biggest pieces together. "

Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G-Troubling Issue
    Broken Sony FE 70-200mm F4 after drop: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Broken 70-200: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I’m probably the worst person to ask for scientific opinions :D I use the lens at weddings and all I know is that it does a good job. I remember it being very sharp at 200mm. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the SteadyShot button on the lens gets accidentally switched to one another very easily and all of the sudden you realise that you’ve been shooting portaits at 200mm with no steadyshot :(

10. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I handled the 70-200 f4 FE today in-store and it felt solid, but knowing that it's held together by thin metal isn't reassuring! Also I wasn't too impressed by the image quality. I'm not sure if the in-store copy was a bit beat up, but samples didn't look as impressive to me compared to other lenses in the same range.

I also handled the 24-70 f/4 FE and I actually like that lens. Sample shots I took were very sharp, with nice colors. I'm surprised many people were panning this lens. I'm thinking Sony attracts a large number of OCD pixel peepers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Are we real discussing about dropping the lens!? No lens should be dropped, under any circumstance. More complicated optical designs will always suffer more from falling, but none should be dropped, ever, period.

I am personally very pleased with 70-200/4. Beyond compare sharp and reliable lens. Superb piece of engineering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Granted, no lens should ever be dropped. But should an accident happen, would you expect it to break in half (which can only make a bad situation worse)? That seems like an unnecessary design weakness. It might not stop me from buying such a lens, but it is nonetheless disappointing this could happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Doing a search, no current model 70-200mm f4 from any system has a similar break. Plus a lot of the people who've broken their lens seem to be of the OCD gearhead variety, meaning they take good care of their equipment! The breaks are sporadic and random enough it's making me consider alternatives, perhaps like the Canon 70-200mm f4 + Sigma MC-11 adapter.

14. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I have excellent copies of both lenses and I use them quite a bit. My SONY FE24-70/4 has shown no issues and I'd buy it again. For me, it has a definite place in my bag for everyday use.

This is from a few days ago.

2018 May 02 Abby Rd.   1_01.JPG

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
  16. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Though I haven't used them a lot lately, I intend to keep them. My 4/70-200 has had a few knocks, among which a fall from about 40 cm on a thinly carpeted wooden floor, didn't break. There is or has been sample variation for both lenses, mine are good but I went through various samples before I was happy with the 4/24-70. Both lenses work well on the A7R2 and easily permit 40x60 cm enlargements if I don't make mistakes.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
  20. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.