Anyone use Canon/Nikon/other flashes on NEX?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Synomis192, May 30, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Just out of curiosity, anyone here crazy enough to use their third party flash systems with the NEX bodies?

I prefer natural light, but sometime you really can't avoid using flash. I have about 3 Canon flashes that I'd like to use. If possible that is.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Should work. You may need a suitable adapter. No TTL.

3. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    I usually use Manual mode on my Flashes anyways so it's not a big deal :D

4. zuzuman

zuzuman New to TalkEmount

May 15, 2013
    Washington, DC
    I've used my Nikon SB-24 on my NEX 6 in A mode and M mode. Works great, although the flash is a bit large!

I found a perfect sized Vivitar flash with a tilting head at a thrift store today, but the trigger voltage is too high for me to risk it.

5. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Yeah, Vintage Flashes would work well but that voltage scares me away too. Did you have to buy some super expensive converter mount for your flash? Or is there some cheap one made by Fotodiox or something.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I use an Olympus FL-50R that I bought originally for my Panasonic GH2. Works very well on the NEX-6 in Auto mode (non-TTL) but I have to set the focal length, ISO and aperture manually. I've been looking for an older Minolta flash hoping to get the flash set automatically to the camera's values of ISO, focal length and aperture, but these Minolta flashes don't seem to have an exposure sensor of their own, so that Auto mode on the flash itself is not available. Bummer really. I'm not prepared to spend well over € 400 for a powerful Sony flash, thank you very much.

7. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    I use a Sunpak 383. It's bigger and heavier than the camera, which I guess is not uncommon when using third party flashes. Still, it works fine on my Nex 6. I just got a cheap radio trigger set so I can use it off camera too which is nice.

8. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    One thing I have read is that you want to make sure the trigger voltage of the flash is around 6 Volts or less or you could cause some problems.