1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use an F3?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I see good deals on this model right now, and given that it has the SamE sensor as the 5n (I think) I figured IQ differences would be minimal. I checked it out on dpr's studio comparison Thingy and it seems there isn't much to touch the 5n in JPEG. I messed around with lots of different combo's and the the nikon D7000 came closest. Tell me I'm nuts (ok, we've already established that). :p

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Send Freddytto a PM if doesn't chime in. He had one for a short time and didn't like it, so he swapped it for a 5R. The swapping virus seems to be as contagious as the MF bug! ;)

3. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks Dioptrick. I don't mean to be inflammatory, it's just the 5r and 6 aren't available for those comparisons yet and I've not noted many here as having the F3.

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I didn't think you were being inflammatory at all... :)

I'm a pretty laid back person and I think you are too, so I'm relaxed enough to kid around as well. You have to find what's right for you, and to enjoy and nurture the fun aspect in your photography. Use and seek whatever tools suits you best, the brand really doesn't matter. :)

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I have an F3 but the question is why are choosing it over other models?

6. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I had to send my 7 back as faulty. I really loved my 5n so was thinking I'd get another as the 6 is still a tad expensive here. The f3 cropped up on a site I checked and is eligible for a cashback promotion and after checking dxomark the scores were pretty good. But looking at dpr the 5n seems sharper at every iso, so was wondering what folks thought in real use.

7. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I also have an F3. I actually chose it over the 5N. It was not an easy decision and I have had some question about the wisdom of that decision after the purchase, but not based on anything negative that I can point to about the camera.

I chose the F3 because I got a good deal on the camera bundled with the EVF (which I really wanted) and I wanted the built in flash so I had the option of using a flash and EVF at the same time and could play around with bouncing the flash and fill flash. I decided that for my photography level at this time, what I typically do with my pictures (most are viewed on he computer and shared online with only a small portion printed and fewer yet printed in a large format) and what I shoot (usually not things where I would benefit from the faster shooting mode of the 5N), any potential image quality differences would be minor, if noticeable at all and I was better off spending any savings on a lens. Obviously your situation may be different. Freddytto (who was very helpful when I had questions) reached a different conclusion for himself and found enough of a difference between his old 5N and the F3 to ultimately choose a 5r. If you look at some of the pictures he posted when he was trying out the F3, however, I think you will agree that it is more than capable of great images (like all cameras, assuming it is in the right hands).

Not sure if I helped or just added to the confusion:)