Anyone tried the FE 70-300 G lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Has anyone tried it?
    I'm wondering what it's like, pity about the price.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Very briefly

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    There is a lens showcase for the FE 70-300

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    So there is, thanks

5. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    I purchased one yesterday. My wife was shopping for an A6000, and we got a great price on the 70-300G. I believe that there is a general discount on this lens of about 30% at the moment. Anyway, we got it at about 60% of list price from the local Sony dealer.

First play with it shows it to be very good. AF is very fast. Hunts a bit from close to infinity, but switching to limit it to 3m-infinity helps.

Very impressed with IQ. Very sharp in the centre, acceptable in the corners.

The attached images show a very low res JPEG of a chair back, with higher res crop about midway between centre and corner (RAW, into LR, JPEG'd. So no sharpening or processing in or out of camera). The crop shows good detail - even the fibres stuck to the chair. This was a handheld shot at 300mm zoom. DOF is probably very shallow (couple of centimetres), so given that the chair back is sloped (and focus point was centre), the crop area may even be just outside the focus plane.

G70300AA.
    G70300B.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I just received a copy of this lens -- I decided to purchase rather than rent and just try it out for an upcoming vacation because I thought it would be helpful to have some time with it before I leave and the rental cost didn't seem worth it for the time period I needed it. I don't want to go crazy looking for imperfections, but are there any suggestions for simple tests to do to make sure there aren't any big problems? (Of course, I may have to do the testing indoors because it is so unbelievably hot and humid here that I would have to wait an hour for the camera and lens to acclimate to prevent condensation, by which time I might faint from heat exhaustion. :) )

7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    This might qualify as "go crazy looking for imperfections", but it is pretty thorough from someone who goes through a LOT of lenses.

How to Test a Lens

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1