1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone tried the 200mm Canon FD f4 macro on the NEX ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by markoneswift, Sep 6, 2013.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    I have seen some shots online done with this lens and they look excellent, so I'm just wondering if anyone on here has used it ? I have seen some of these 200 mm macros going for silly money online and I'm just curious how they perform because I may have chance to get one at a VERY good price. Cheers !

2. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    In its time it was excellent and will still be the same today. It is a large lens and BTW, also check out the Nikon. Canon went to the 180mm macro lens after the FD 200mm.

All the best and optically, excellent.

Danny.

3. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Cool thanks Danny. The comments I read online about it kind of gave the same impression. I'm watching one on EBay UK which has been converted to EF mount but it's only 30 gbp at the moment so hopefully I can snag it cheap.

I was thinking of going down the road of raynox on a zoom lens as you suggested, but the I wondered whether I might get more actual use out of dedicated macro lens so I thought I would give this one a shot. There's a lot of Sunpak ring flashes on the UK site that are really cheap, if I decide to get one of those for macro work, can I just fire it with a cold-shoe adapter on the NEX ?

Cheers mate

4. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    The advantage with the 200mm Canon macro, is that it also doubles as a std 200mm. With 200mm at the macro end you still end up with a comfortable working distance, which of course that lens was made for. Much further distance for macro compared to a 50mm or 100mm macro lens. They are darn sharp.

Cold shoe adaptor ?? You still need the centre pin to fire the flash mate which would make it a hot shoe. You could fire it with a flash slave using an inbuilt flash as long as it takes a sync lead for the flash.

Another way you can work with a large flash unit and it solves getting flash to the lens area, is to use something along the lines of a Sunpak 555, large but very versatile, ahhh where is it ............

P1210120.

So that's also a good option besides just the ring flash. Either works fine though at the end of the day.

All the best as always :)

Danny.