1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

anyone know how to turn off the flash from the menu (nex3)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ghetto, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ghetto

ghetto New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2013
    does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the flash from the menu options?

i.e. attach the flash, pop the flash up, set the camera to Aperture mode, try to disable flash - "This function is currently disabled." and the flash is permanently on.

The reason why I want to do this is because if the camera is inside an underwater case... which doesn't have a flip lever for the flash... I can't think of any other way to enable / disable the flash. It's either on when you put the camera in, or off when you put the camera in.

2. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    just checked my nex f3 that's the same once you pop the flash up the option to turn it off is unavailable

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It's available in iAuto mode on the NEX-7 but not in P/A/S/M

4. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Very cleaver its the same on my f3

5. ghetto

ghetto New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2013
    thanks for the responses, that's works on the nex3 too.

So let me get this right, when you're in any manual control mode you have no control over the flash, but when you're in auto mode you can control the flash...

wow.... that's ummm... err I have no words to describe this. If only this were a bug... but given it's V5 of the firmware, and that newer ones like nex7 behave the same, I think some at sony thinks this makes sense.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The problem as I see it is that Sony has software engineers setting the menu/options, not photographers. From their point of view it's all electronics, right?