Anyone installed the 3.10 firmware update on your A7R3 yet?

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
I don't use either of the supported flashes, so I'm not certain whether the firmware update brings much to the table for me. Firmware update was released by Sony yesterday.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
For A73 and A7R3 the upgrade is for adding camera control of 2 specific Sony flash only. The My Menu added function in the A7R4 update and does not apply to A73 and A7R3, nor unfortunately did Sony add the much needed AF point selectable color :wtf:

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'll skip it and wait until the next firmware update to see if it adds any improvements to camera functionality. There's always a chance it might affect compatibility with Samyang lenses, since they're backwards engineered!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
They reverse engineer the mount? Why? Unlike Canikon, any maker can register with Sony for a royalty-free license as long as they are willing to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Seems like a no-brainer from a business standpoint.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
They reverse engineer the mount? Why? Unlike Canikon, any maker can register with Sony for a royalty-free license as long as they are willing to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Seems like a no-brainer from a business standpoint.
I'm not so sure. Samyang lenses require an external USB dock, which neither Sigma or Tamron need for their E-mount lenses. Also, Sony camera FW updates have been known to interfere with Samyang lens compatibility (ex: The Sam/Rok 45mm f/1.8 FE lost infinity focus with the A7III fw 3.01 update). The Samyang 50mm 1.4 FE to-date has received 32 firmware updates which seems a bit extreme.

Latest posts

Top Bottom