1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone here familiar with Minolta 24/2.8, especially Maxxum (AF) version ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I love Minolta 35-70 in all flavors. The f3.5 MD version is probably sharper than f4 Maxxum AF version, but the AF one is still very sharp, small and great in good to OK-ish light. In dim light, it hunts somewhat.

However, my main reason for liking these lenses is the color. I find it significantly easier to get the colors I find pleasing - especially skin tones - out of my Maxxums than out of some other lenses.

So, I've been thinking of perhaps getting 24/2.8; part for my upcoming trip to Prague (24 mm will probably be useful for most occasions), part to maybe use it as my main walkabout lens.

So, is anyone familiar with that lens ? Does it have the same unique Minolta colors ? Is it sharp ?

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think that my 35-70mm MD lens is higher in contrast and has punchier colours than my MD Rokkor 24mm F2.8.

But the 35-70 MD is also more modern in design than the 24mm Rokkor. Maybe the AF one is better? I like my 24mm, but I definitely feel like I paid too much for it.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I just picked up a 24mm Nikkor F2, colors seem nice and warm with it. Not Minolta colors but not bad. Won a copy on eBay for a little over 200 with caps and hood. It's very easy to focus and shows little distortions compared to my canon 24mm

4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I am specifically interested in 24/2.8 Minolta AF (Maxxum) so that I could use it with LA-EA2. I am growing tired of Sigma 30's propensity to make everyone look like an orange in certain lighting conditions.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Oh. Ok, good luck!

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    That sounds like a white balance problem more than a lens issue? Are you shooting raw?

Minolta lenses have always felt slightly warm to me, the yellow and green seem to get emphasised.

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    This is both a white balance issue and lens rendering issue.

Under certain lighting conditions - in the shade of the trees, for example, or in the early evening light - the Nex tends to go orange in skin tones. This is just the way Sony's white balance recipe works. I tried using various WB settings or custom WB, but in the end resigned to just having to deal with it every now and then. Also, the majority of my photos are done impromptly and I don't have time to mess with WB.

Each camera manufacturer has their own color biases. Canon was the best for portraits (at least when Caucasian skin is concerned) because it really emphasized pink - the color I find the hardest to get right in post processing (pink, not red or magenta). So while some straight out of camera portraits looked like well cooked lobsters, it was a very straightforward fix - dial down saturation, dial up luminance, and you end up with great natural looking skin.

Nikon (which I only tried briefly) seems to emphasize yellows and greens. Must be great for landscapes. But the portraits looked... snotty. Konica Minolta 7D was probably second best in portraits, a bit too yellow but that was easier to fix than orange.

Then there are lenses. Again, they all have somewhat different color rendering. I find the native Sony lenses to be mostly good. A bit on the colder side, and slightly pushing skin into yellow sometimes, but overall good. Maxxum 35-70/4 almost never disappoints, beautiful colors. Sigmas are the biggest PITA, the 30/2.8 is the one I get lots of orange skin with. It doesn't happen on every shot, very light dependent, but it does happen far more often than with Minolta or other Sony lenses.

Surprisingly, another lens that sometimes gives me wildly inaccurate skin tones is SEL50. With it, this doesn't happen nearly as often, but every now and then it just goes wild. I suspect this has less to do with lens optical character and more with communication back to the camera.

Here's an example of what I consider good Minolta colors. These photos had very little color / WB tweaking.

21965033091_4b85f78ac7_k. DSC04055-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

21767003180_15a26cef95_k. DSC04063-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

21333724023_4da428e2cd_k. DSC04017-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    That's how I would rate the lenses I have in terms of colors.. Highly subjective:

18-55 - colors accurate but dull. A bit on colder side (typical for Sony lenses).

55-250 - better than 18-55, colors accurate and good contrast. Also a tad on the colder side.

18-105 - warmer, accurate colors, pretty reliable.

50/1.8 - when it nails the scene, produces wonderful warm rich tones. Every now and then just goes orange /yellow crazy. More yellow than orange.

Sigma 30 - when it nails the scene, produces accurate, a bit cold colors. Prone to go orange / green in certain lighting conditions. Not the best lens to use for taking portraits of people standing in the shade of green trees on a sunny day.

Minolta 35-70/4 Macro - very pleasant colors most of the time

Minolta 70-210/4 "Beercan" - equally pleasant colors, but I think the "mini Beercan" has a slight advantage over it, something that I simply can't put my finger on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just a thought: have you tried profiling the camera? In case you use Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw I'd make a profile for the camera with the Sigma 30/2.8. I once profiled my Panasonic G1 and that instantly solved the problem of never getting the colors right out of that camera.

10. Golem

Golem TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2015
    That is exactly how I use mine. I pixel peep only to
    diagnose my own techniques or experiments, not for
    evaluating gear. I've had this lens since the 80's and
    have always favored it. Now acoarst it's not as wide
    as it once was, being deployed for a smaller format
    than when I shot film, but I will soon get a new LA
    for my new FE camera body.

One of the best features is the internal focus [or it
    might be rear focus] so that the only external moving
    part is the focus ring. I seldom use a lens shade on it
    cuz it crowds the narrow little focus ring, but without
    a shade I have zero complaint.

`

11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I really like the look Minolta lenses give, whatever technically produces it. Among a few others, I have the manual 24mm and the non-macro 35-70 (supposed to be otherwise the same as the macro, i.e. not the first 35-70). My copies are pretty similar as far as colors and rendering, the 24mm may be a tad cooler. From what I have read, Minolta was known for producing consistent colors/rendering across the line, so I would expect you to see similar rendering with your other Minoltas.

Only downside is that these lenses sometimes go for ridiculous amounts. I think I paid $150 for mine a couple of years ago, and I just looked at ebay and some were priced well over $200. Yikes, not sure it is that great of a lens, but I do like the focal length and cannot afford the Sony 24mm.

12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Maxxum 24/2.8 is $140-150 from KEH.

Still seems a bit steep considering that used Sigma 19 goes for $120-145.

OTOH if it's sharper than 35-70 with same or similar rendering, it could be worth it.

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My old MD 24/2.8 has a lot of character (in a good way) and the center can get almost scary sharp. (Pretty darn close to the Sony/Zeiss 24mm on the NEX-7.) There was quite a bit of field curvature, which could be an asset or a liability depending on what one is trying to do.

I don't know to what extent they amended the formula and/or construction for the Maxxum series.

14. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I use C1P mainly. Need to read about profiling.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Golem

Golem TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2015
    Well, if the MD version is unit focusing, then there has
    to be some difference between it and the Maxxum 24
    which is internal focusing.

16. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I've the Minolta AF 24mm f2.8 RS (restyle).
    It's the latest second version which has 7 curved blades. Its rubber grooves on on the barrel is wider with smooth rubberized focusing ring to differentiate it from the older version.
    I bought for $150 two years ago in mint condition with original box, hood and caps.
    It's a small compact little lens and I've no complaint for its price vs performance.
    It's not the sharpest but having exif data is important to me and AF is pretty fast too.

Here are a few sample pictures
    a7mII @ f8 Over the hill
    16673240830_d3e800a00f_c.

a7mII @ f8 Indoor at the country club
    16878075906_bd16eb3893_c.

a7 @ f11 Indoor at a temple
    16243141482_e037fe8d04_c.

a7mII @ f13 at the waterfall
    18881099651_306988a55f_c.

a7mII @ f5.6 This was shot through the windshield blindly while driving at 40 mph
    20209041612_b2104e3c5d_c.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soopadoopa

soopadoopa TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    Noob question here, but these maxxum lenses - I'm finding tons of em for cheap on the bat but they all seem to be autos and the body design doesn't make it obvious that it has manual aperture control.

Can these work with dumb adapters?

18. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    All Minolta/Konica Maxxum AF lenses when used directly on Sony A-mount or E-mount via Sony's adaptors, aperture settings can be adjusted from the camera.

19. soopadoopa

soopadoopa TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    but does it have an aperture ring that i can adjust if i'm using a cheap $10 adapter?

20. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    No, sorry.