Anyone have the Nissin i40 flash? Is it fragile?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Mar 28, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I received the Nissin i40 from B&H. It's certainly a nice size and weight, but it feels so...fragile. Thin little intricate metal arms don't feel like they'll last.

The tilt and rotate mechanism feels fragile.

The battery door feels like I could pop it off easily.

It feels so fragile that I am nervous to leave it on my a7 on a sling strap at my side (whereas I had no such fears with my Canon 420EX).

What do other users of the i40 think? Also, are the Sony native flashes any more rugged? Or, are there other 3rd party flashes that might be a bit tougher, but without getting overly massive (compared to the a7 body)?

2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I would guess that the i40 is pretty fragile compared to a lot of other flashes. I have 2 because I had to send one back for repair.

But really I think it goes with the territory of being small, light and pretty cheap. I mean if you compare it to the Sony HVL-43M which has roughly the same power driven off the same 4 x AA batteries...

the Sony...
    1) costs 50% more
    2) weighs 70% more and..
    3) is over double the physical volume

Now for me the Nissin i40 is a superb on-camera travel flash. It has decent power for a tiny little thing. It is so small, it fits in the side pocket of my bag and it has TTL and HSS which is useful on-camera. (Well its HSS isnt that much use given its power and the prevailing light.)

To me the beauty of this flash is how small and light it is (I dont really have to make a choice between a lens or flash in my bag.) Is it built like a tank? No but that is because it isnt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks

Why did your nissin break? What went wrong with it?

4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    It wouldnt stay in HSS mode - kept reverting back to normal mode. Probably wrong to say it broke - it almost certainly wasnt working properly when I got it.

• Informative Informative x 1