Anyone have issues with the 16-50 OSS on an a5100?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Mar 16, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I have had a number of "events" in which the camera tells me that it can't identify the installed lens (the 16-50) and the lens extension does not retract when the camera is turned off. The first time this happened to me I recalled a tip I read years ago for another camera brand (pulling the battery). I tried it and it fixed the situation. But yesterday this happened to me 2 or 3 times and battery-pulling didn't help the condition. Once it was just time that fixed it, another I had to switch lenses (then when I put the 16-50 back on it worked).

I should probably add that this camera is less than a month old (so dirty contacts are not likely) and I could obviously return it for a replacement, but it works fine (so far - keeping fingers crossed) with the 20/2.8, 16/2.8 and 50/1.8.

Has anyone else here had this issue? And if you did, what did you to to prevent it?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If it were my lens, I'd clean the contacts on both the camera and lens. Yeah, it's new, but you never know. Sometimes (if rarely) the simplest solution is the right one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Happened to me with the nex-6 and 18-105 lens. My tech guy clened the contacts and it hasn't happened again...

4. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks guys. I have contact cleaner and it can't hurt, so I'll clean the contacts and continue to observe.