• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anyone have both the 5n and a t2i?

blb

TalkEmount Rookie
Hello.

I recently listed my 5n for sale on this page. However, I'm now having serious second thoughts about my plan to keep what, theoretically, is the more versatile dslr. I just posted the following on the Photography Blog site, but will copy it here in hopes that some of you will have more direct experience.

Thanks in advance,
blb

"I have a Canon T2i and a Sony Nex 5n. For myriad reasons, I would like to sell one and had planned to sell the 5n reasoning that the Canon, though more cumbersome, was more versatile. However, in order to be sure, over the past couple weeks, I've carried both on a couple walks. Shooting jpegs, and with the kit 18-55 on each, both set to P and with center focus, I cannot believe how much sharper the images are from the 5n. For instance, when I zoom 100%, the Canon files let me see that there is a box inside the upper story window of the office building I've just shot. The Sony files let me read the labels on that box. I know this is pixel-peeping, but the clarity and dynamic range is better throughout the entire image and is visible at normal viewing sizes. I can't believe there is truly that much difference between the cameras - specifically, I can't believe the canon is that soft. What am I missing? Would this distinction fade if I shot RAW? Is the t2i known for weak jpegs and the 5n for strong? Is the much maligned sony lens really that much better than the kit Canon? Or, do you think I really am seeing a true difference (in which case, it's not the sony that gets sold)?"

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
How often will you actually use the greater versatility of the t2i? Answer that queston and you answer the question of which one to keep. Barring any burning financial reason to sell one, I'd just keep them both.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I've been a Canon SLR fan from way back during the film days, and sang their praises to anyone that would care to listen. Digitally, I have used the earlier Canon EOS 400D/Rebel XTi for over two years (with IS lenses). I am fully aware of this system's strong merits.

Much to my daughter's disgust :p and amazement, I bought myself a Sony NEX-5N just before Christmas. Even my best friend and photobuddy for many years was taken aback (he has the Canon EOS 500D/RebelT1i because of my recommendations). Just a few weeks ago, my daughter bought the T2i twin lens kit (they're called the EOS 550D over here)... and dangled it in front of me with a wry smile, lol. I had a play and it takes good pictures similar to what I've been accustomed to with the 400D. A much better camera without a doubt. I was beginning to feel I had made a mistake.

5N or T2i ?

This my friend was the very issue I struggled with. It all depends on how you define your ideal photographic experience I suppose. And it's different for everyone. For me it's not just the results I get, but also the manner in which I got them. The feel of the body and its buttons, the sound the shutter makes, all adds to this experience. I have to say, I do MISS the feel of an SLR! All my life I have peeked through a viewfinder and heard mirror flop. My hands also naturally want to mould around the nice hefty SLR body, so I often fumble with the small NEX body...

... but, I'm still very happy that I went with the 5N for three subjective reasons I guess: :eek:

1) I had gone weary of the bulk of an SLR lens array, and always wanted a rangefinder style camera for wandering about.
2) I miss the solid smooth feel of metal-bodied lenses, and have been yearning for a really wide angle lens that's affordable. I still can't understand why NEX owners are selling their 16mm Primes... it was the deal-maker for me.
3) I seriously want to use vintage manual focus lenses - and without a mirror getting in the way, it would seem there's nothing that can't be easily attached to a NEX via a cheap and simple adaptor.

Maybe for me it's just a case of 'been there done that' and I was looking for something new and different. The 5N is just the very thing that can re-kindle my interest in recreational photography. The icing on the cake here of course is the 5N's incredible new sensor... but I didn't know that until after I've already made up my mind.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Maybe for me it's just a case of 'been there done that' and I was looking for something new and different. The 5N is just the thing that re-kindled my interest in recreational photography. The icing on the cake here of course is the 5N's incredible new sensor... but I didn't know that until after I've already made up my mind.

While I haven't invested into any modern DSLRs, this is exactly the same reason why I ended up purchasing a NEX camera, I used to own a number of Nikon film cameras back in the heyday of film but lost interest for a long time until my good mate got himself into photography and revived my passion in it.

blb

TalkEmount Rookie
The dslr is useful to me as my sons are in athletics which is much harder to capture with the 5n. But I'm mostly wondering about the image quality - why am I seeing such a difference between the two? Is the 5n really that much sharper or what? I could easily live with the dslr alone, if the IQ was more similar.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
The dslr is useful to me as my sons are in athletics which is much harder to capture with the 5n. But I'm mostly wondering about the image quality - why am I seeing such a difference between the two? Is the 5n really that much sharper or what? I could easily live with the dslr alone, if the IQ was more similar.

While you can't put the NEX lens on the Canon, you can put the Canon on the NEX and compare results there. It may be as simple as a better kit lens on the NEX. It may be that the jpg engine is better on the NEX. It may be that the NEX sensor is just better. It could be any number of things that make the NEX pics better than the Canon pics. [shrug]

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Is the 5n really that much sharper or what? I could easily live with the dslr alone, if the IQ was more similar.

I'm pretty new to the 5N myself, but from what I'm getting so far, the 5N image quality is substantially superior. You've seen it yourself.

I know what you're saying about the SLR being easier to use for sports photography. The 5N might function better for sports with an electronic view finder attached to it... but it will never feel as 'split-second intuitive' as an SLR.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I think the "view 1:1" tool is very harmful to getting better as a photographer. Look at the whole files (not just tiny crops), and figure out which you can adjust in post better, or which is the better OOC jpg (if you don't like pp). Don't worry about reading the label on a box on a 100% crop. This will never be a make/break issue in your photography. Oh, and to the above add in ergonomics, your likelihood to have the camera with you, and just plain whether you like shooting with it or not.

blb

TalkEmount Rookie
I didn't mean to imply that I'm merely pixel peeping - I just offered that as an extreme example. The real problem is that most, but not all, of the photos I take with the Canon (Af, center point) are just not quite in focus. I'm just trying to determine if others have found the same.

blb

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm curious about what you're experiencing, blb. The Canon T2i is a great camera and a sound DSLR choice. It's also puzzling that the 'off-focus' isn't consistent, so it's hard to tell if it's an issue only specific to your T2i - or if the program selected f-stop has an influence towards this inconsistency.

That aside, I had a bit of a dig regarding the standard kit lenses in question and according to dpreview's findings, the lenses themselves do have a difference in sharpness especially at the centre.

Their graphs show that the NEX kit lens (E 18-55mm OSS) is indeed sharper than the T2i kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm IS). Not that the Canon lens is poor (it's a lot better than Sony's DSLR standard kit lens DT 18-70mm, and just about on par with the DT 18-55mm SAM), it's just that the NEX lens seems to be outstanding as far as kit lenses are concerned. I'm wondering if this could be what you're noticing.

-

These are just screen captures for quick comparison. You have to go to the links for the active versions of these sharpness graphs if you want to drag your mouse over the small checker boards to see the 100% crops at various locations on the image.

Sony NEX-3 & NEX-5 Review: 7. Photographic tests (Lenses): Digital Photography Review

Picture1-1.png
   ---            

Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review: 3. Test results: Digital Photography Review

Picture3-1.png
   ---            

Sony DT 18-70mm 1:3.5-5.6 Lens Review: 3. Test results: Digital Photography Review

Picture4.png
   ---            

-

Perhaps you could also set up a tripod and take a sample image with both your cameras at the same settings to compare.

I hope this helps. Anyway, you can't go too far wrong whichever camera you choose in the end.

blb

TalkEmount Rookie
Thank you for that extra research. I'm going to borrow a friend's better lens and see what images from the Canon look like. So far, the shots I'm talking about have utilized very similar, if not identical, apertures and iso settings. The cameras do often choose slightly different shutter speeds. I'll let you know what I find out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom