1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone has real life examples of high iso low light Nex-6, 6000 and A7 comparisons in RAW?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, May 30, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!
    Just trying to see in real life what improvement I will get from the Nex-6 moving to a FF or the A6000.
    Thanks!

PS I have seen the imaging resource stuff but wanted to real life tests in RAW format as I am not sure how those were done.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't have any raw images with the same subject, and shot at the same time. But I have shot raw images with both the NEX-6 and the A7, and the difference is night and day. I rarely got any keepers at ISO 1600 and above with the NEX-6, but I shoot ISO 3200 with the A7 without worry, and have a few keepers at ISO 12800.

Here's one:
    11347009213_8c56e8d184_b.
    Watering Hole.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Maybe it is my workflow (I use DXO and Ninja depending on the case) but 1600 is easy for the nex-6 imo to have great pics, 3200 seems get flacky for sure. So your comments are very impressive and motivating! :) Maybe FF is my logical upgrade due to my noise "allergy" :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Not sure about the NEX-6 but I've been able to get images about as good as this on my 5N at 3200. If the lighting is weird, I may have to convert to B & W. That said, ISO 12800 would be pretty nasty on my 5N

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    That is why I would like to get some images comparing both under the same conditions because some people claim dramatic differences like I read someone say the A7 3200 equals the N6 800 which to me is a bit too much to believe but I wish it is true! :)

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Check out Jays site sonyalphalab.com he has some lab test in raw and low light

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    See that is what I mean, the test done there are not showing the HUGE differences some users claim between the two which is what makes it so hard to determine whos right! :)

8. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Lab tests and pixel peeping really won't tell you the whole story. Rent a A7 or A7R from lensrentals.com if you're in the US and try it for the weekend. You won't be disappointed. The difference is night and day.

I still think a camera is just a tool, so who's behind the camera is more important than what's in the camera. A lot of fantastic images come out of APS-C cameras. That being said, in terms of noise, DOF, dynamic range, its incontrovertible that FF sensors has greater range and more flexibility. It's just the laws of physics of having a greater surface area, and APS-C can't overcome this physical limitations (i.e. you can never expect a cell phone camera to outperform a medium format sensor of the same era for the same reason). I made the switch from APSC to FF back in 2008. Importantly, I think I've enjoyed this hobby more because of the switch as well. With the A7/7R's affordability nowadays (my Canon 5D Mark II kit cost me $4000+ new), it's a great time to switch. [Edit: Actually I take this back. Sony being Sony, I would wait for further price drops if you are in no hurry to buy.]

I'm not sure how to post RAW format photos online. But personally, I have no problem letting the A7 spike up to 12,800 ISO (it usually doesn't need to, but its nice having the option). Color noise is easily controlled with LightRoom and the grain is actually very pleasing (much more so than Canon). I came from the 5D Mark II, and its noise limits were really at ISO 3200. Having the flexibility of 12,800 is a great feeling.

9. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I think you may mean this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtDotqLx6nA

He talks about ISO from 4:00 onwards, and he talks about ISO + sensor sizes from around 8:00 onwards. Here is a screenshot of I think what you mean. He did some calculations for the equivalent ISOs for various sensor sizes (it is a rough approximation and you really have to watch the video to understand the caveats). So according to him, ISO 1600 on a micro 4/3 is roughly ISO 6400 on a FF.

screen-capture-151.

Attached Files:

10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yes but, I thought the manufacturers made the ISO on their various sensors all equivalent to FF ISO. So on the Nex6 selecting ISO 100 is actually ISO 40... Plus there is the issue that there can be +-30% in comparing ISO across platforms as the manufacturers use the inherent differences in sensor size as a license to make a camera SEEM to perform better at higher ISO by shifting the actual sensitivity used down compared to the value you select.

All of this makes it almost impossible to truely compare camera A with camera B ISO for ISO setting, even is they were two FF cameras it would be mildly pointless IMO.
    Just take ISO as a scale of sensitivity and shoot what works for you on your camera.

Given what people have said here, it sounds, unsurprisingly, that the A7 handles high sensitivity shots somewhat better than the Nex6 but the comparison of ISO values used doesn't tell you much about exactly by how much by, so you'll either have to believe real world shooters that it is a marked difference, or as suggested, rent one and see for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1