Anyone from San Francisco Bay Area ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by izTheViz, Mar 11, 2015.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Flying from Paris to SF on saturday. Starting business on Thursday till Friday.
    Will be staying downtown until Monday and will move to San Carlos to spend the rest of the week working.
    I plan to get a car during the week to move around after 5-6 PM. I wonder if there is any place worth going to take some pictures within 1 hour drive from San Carlos. I was thinking about catching some sunsets from the Pacific Coast but don't know yet which spot to choose.
    Even for the week-end while downtown, aside from the classics I already visited and shoot, any suggestion is welcome (original viewpoint and so on...)

Thanks

Yannis

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I know you've already covered the Golden Gate and Bay bridges. But you may want to see if shooting the Golden Gate from the Marin headlands has any appeal for you. You can always continue on up over Highway 1 to shoot the sunset over the Pacific from the ridge tops near Mt. Tamalpais. Muir Woods is nearby as well. But honestly, if you're planning to leave San Carlos around 5-6 PM, you're going to be lucky to go 10 miles after an hour's drive in Bay Area traffic. :rolleyes:

3. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    I'm from the Bay Area and yes, Monday through Friday, traffic around that time is HORRIBLE!!!

4. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Really ? I noticed already the traffic but would'nt expect that much. Won't be able to leave earlier.
    Thanks for the advices anyway. Will try at least once and see...

5. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Actually depending where you are headed the traffic will change. Going north from San Carlos around that time there will be traffic up to Marin County. Going south from San Carlos there shouldn't be too much traffic until maybe Mountain View. You can go take 101 north to 92 West towards Half Moon Bay and travel along PCH (Hwy 1), I don't really know how traffic would be with that route though.

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I bet Yves is right about heading south. But heading north? Forget it if you have limited time. Last January I tried to get from the Portola district of SF (about 20 miles north of San Carlos) out to Treasure Island to shoot the sunset, a distance of only 8 miles. My house was right next to the freeway, I left at 4:45, and sunset was at ~6pm. In an hour and fifteen minutes, I never even made it onto the Bay Bridge. And this was on a Wednesday afternoon.

7. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Well, will most likely be heading south or west. Don't really plan to head north toward SF. I'd like to go to Santa Clara on Friday or San Jose on Thursday for the launch of a new New Balance running shoe...
    Marin Headlands ? Well yes I'd love to shoot the GG from there but I guess that one needs a car to reach the place, right ? Was not planning to rent the car while in SF in the week-end...not easy to park. But to be honest I'd love to shoot the bridge from that point of view on sunday morning or evening. Hence, if you are aware of any other way to get there...
    Thanks guys. Love SF. So happy to spend some days there again.

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Uber? Lyft? I once hitchhiked out there and back...:p

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Without a car...there's always BART. I used it to get into SF from Fremont, I was touring by bicycle, and not from SF.
    A bike will get you around town pretty easily. I rode over the GG and up to Hawk Hill. Took these shots of the sunset and bridge, give you an idea of what to expect.

15425256720_64c902016d_b. IMG_1883 by wNG555, on Flickr
    15610859575_a10e592d18_b. IMG_1895 by wNG555, on Flickr
    14989375464_6aab9a6334_b. DSC07362 by wNG555, on Flickr
    15610975282_6270c4c99a_b. DSC07385 by wNG555, on Flickr
    15610863365_1eee2cf1a6_b. IMG_1902 by wNG555, on Flickr
    15425270100_3861e137ed_b. IMG_1911 by wNG555, on Flickr
    14990119364_b0756b4a66_b. IMG_1924 by wNG555, on Flickr

If you got limited time, I think it's also best to head west for the coast and Hwy-1.

• Like Like x 2
  10. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Brilliant. Would not that be too dangerous to bike there once it's getting dark ? This would mean going back to Sausalito at least and get a ferry to SF.
    Anyway, I'll maybe try to find a way. Maybe rent a car just for one day.
    Thanks

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I guess it can be anxious after dark. But there were plenty of cyclist, tourist, photographers, after dark there. I rode back to Embarcadero that evening. The Ferry is the recommended return given to tourists.
    I was well-equipped though. By the time I reached SF, I had rode down from Vancouver BC, so a thousand miles in the saddle, darkness and city was not a concern. :)