1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone else interested in drop-In filter lens adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by adroitfan, Mar 8, 2015.

1. adroitfan

adroitfan New to TalkEmount

May 5, 2014
    USA
    Just saw this link on SAR: OWL: World's first Drop-in Filter Adapter
    As someone who has a lens collection from DSLR it is quite tempting. I imagine next step of installing contacts to control aperture and have EXIF data available, as DEO has made this available for Canon and Contax to E-mount lens adapters already. Also great with manual focus ultra-wides like Rokinon or mirror lenses as efficient filter solution. My only gripe is the offerings are Nikon and Canon mount currently. Maybe with enough interest they would offer more options. Who is in?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Always wondered why that concept never caught on...Canon has used that drop-in filter concept on its long teles since way back in the 70's - 80's.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice idea. It was only feasible in the past if it was a long telephoto. Register length is the problem.

This OWL is a very nice design exercise. But I can think of one problem. The need to own numerous adapters to try all the old lenses available.
    It's attractive to the present Sony user now due to the cheap adapters on the market. To adopt this line, would be a sizable investment just to gain the benefit shift of 52mm filters. The front of the lens is still going to need a protector filter for risky environments.

Currently, I'd need 6-7 OWLs to replace my dumb adapters. I don't think so.

4. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice idea

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am experimenting with dual adapter system right now. The idea is use a Canon EF to Nex adapter and various adapters to EF mount. Final idea is to get Lens Turbo II from EF to E mount. That way I could carry only following lenses when traveling:
    12mm/2 Samyang (E mount so no two focal lengths)
    28mm/2.8 Yashica ML (20mm & 28mm)
    50mm/1.4 Yashica ML (35mm & 50mm)
    135mm/3.5 Jupiter 37A (96 mm & 135mm)

I think that most useful filters these days are graduated gray and neutral density. Cokin allows stacking these and they are cheap.

7. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I like the idea of these and for me they would work well due to the fact all but one of my adapted lenses are Minolta MD mount but I can see how it would be a problem and get expensive for those with lenses tom differing mounts.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nice idea indeed. When you stick to one legacy brand, you can leave the adapter on the camera and dust can get onto the sensor only when changing filters. In (my) practice though, I use a native lens and different legacy brand lenses (notably Minolta, Olympus, Canon) so I'd still be exposing the sensor to dust, which doesn't bother me one bit BTW.

Operating a polarizer or variable ND filter looks convenient, more so than trying to operate such a filter within a lens hood as is necessary with some lenses. However, you'll still have to have suitable filters for native lenses as well and they'll likely won't have a 52mm filter thread size.

Some drawbacks I can think of:
    • I'd have to replace all my adapters for the various legacy brands. I use multiple adapters for Minolta and Olympus and 1 Canon to boot.
    • By changing the filter dust can get into the adapter, you'll have to keep the filters with their holders clean.
    • Extra reflecting surfaces near the sensor don't look good to me, extra chance of ghosting.
    • Extra chance of light leak.

• Agree Agree x 1