Anybody using Sensor cleaning gelstick ??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by raay, Jul 26, 2014.

1. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Hello folks , i wanted to know if anyone is using sensor cleaning gel stick , if yes then which brand are you using ?? iam asking because i read that sony sensors have a different coating on the surface of AA filter and normal gelsticks leave residue behind. I dont know how true this statement is !! so If anyone is using such sensor cleaning tool then please leave your thoughts.
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
  5. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
  6. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    I use sensor swabs and eclipse least I did on my Nikons
  7. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Jose M. Alonso
    I've used the Eyelead product on my Nex6. Only good enough for lousy spots. For more serious cleaning, sensor swabs and eclipse work great.
  8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I used sensor swabs with cleaning fluid from B&H (forgot the brand, about $40 for fluid and swabs).

Then I read somewhere that the sensor is well protected and Lenspen can be used on it without scratching.

I have an old F3 with non working AF so I tried lenspen on it, at least on three different occasions. Worked like a charm.
  9. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Man I want so much to clean mine instead of $30 for one shot at the local shop but I get so freaked out! :D
  10. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Look at it this's a sensor with a OLPF on it in front of the're not actually touching the sensor, you're cleaning the anti-aliasing filter except on the A7r, I think. What I mean is that I believe the A7r is the only camera without the OLPF, or AA filter.
  11. Joe Fotosiamo

Joe Fotosiamo TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi all. I do need to clean my sensor off my a7R, and I'm not sure what to use since it doesn't have an optical low pass filter. What do you recommend?
  12. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    It doesn't have an OLPF, but it's also not bare sensor, either. There is an infrared cut filter over the sensor. That said, I bought a Sensor Gel Stick and was just about to use it for the first time when this thread popped up. For years, up to and including now, I've used a Dust-Aid kit, and it's worked well. And truthfully, I've occasionally (very carefully) used a Q-tip with 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

Once upon a time, I scratched the AA filter on a Canon 30d with a Green Clean kit.
  13. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014