• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anybody try the Techart Pro AF Leica M adapter yet?

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
The app for iOS and Android that is available in their respective "App Store" is only for updating firmware on the TAP adapter. There is a separate app (only available for Android here: http://techartpro.com/0831-LM-EA7-Config.apk) that allows you to change the list above (e.g. I have a 100mm lens so I might change ƒ/29 = 100mm instead of 90mm). None of the apps allow you to set the active focal length being used with the adapter. The only way to change this is to follow the steps outlined in the instructions.

Example when changing to 35mm focal length:
  1. Set camera f-stop to f/22
  2. Press shutter button so that the shutter fires (takes a photo)
  3. Set camera aperture back to f/2.0
  4. Delete photo taken (optional)
After that, the recorded focal length will be 35mm in the exif data. This is also fed to the IBIS system in the camera. It's all a bit clumsy and I wish there was an app that allowed to change the active focal length from the phone. Unfortunately, this would increase battery drain (something the TAP already suffers from) as it would require the bluetooth module in the TAP to remain active listening for connections. I stopped worrying about what focal length the TAP writes to the exif data and just manually set focal length when I change lenses for IBIS only. It's easier and faster. I set C4 to bring up the IBIS focal length setting and it takes considerably less time to change focal length.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Thank you so much for the pointer and the link. I would not have found the App that configure the focal length. I downloaded the app into my Tablet and manage to see the configuration menu for each of the ten focal lengths. I have not tried the configuration. I assume one need to connect the BlueTooth in order to configure from the App. It would be so much nicer if at shooting time, I can use the app to tell one of the TEN recognized lens with an alias that is entered to the app such as VL40, LM50, VL15 etc. I will try configuring with 4 of my MF lens and see how it goes

• Tamron adaptall-2 17mm f/3.5
  • Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8 -- may sell this and replace with lighter one such as Voigtlander 20mm f/4.0
  • Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8
  • Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4

It is my 2nd day with the TechArt, I surprisingly find that it can AF with heavier zoom lenses such as my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (508 g) and Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 (440g). I know the limitation goes to 700g. And the I have not added in the Pentax K to Leica M mount and with the K to LM adapter, the total weight should be stretching the 700 g limit and I have been delighted with the AF.

Things that I learned so far:
  1. AF.S goes better with M or L in Flexible spots, I assume the Central area will work similarly. If I use AF.S with Flexible spot on Small spot, the AF hunts quite a bit and it is very frustrating and manual focus will be way faster. Using M or L in Flexible spots solves this hunting problem.

2. In setting the FL with aperture, I use M-mode to avoid long shutter from A mode. Setting an aperture at f/32 for FL of 135mm, I learned it the hard way to wait for the long shutter of 1+ minutes to set FL.

3. In setting the FL that is not in one of those focal length, I set something like f/35 instead of f/32 for FL:135mm and the adapter seem to go weird in not able to AF and stay in MF mode. The FL is set rightly for 135mm. It may be user error but I end up dismounting the whole adapter and lens mount and start from scratch. It happened one time that I can't figure out why the adapter defaulted to MF mode. It stays MF until I turned off the camera and dismount everything and start from scratch. Maybe an setup aperture that I entered that is invalid or the longer FL is stressing the limit of TAP

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited:

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
Hin,

The 135mm focal length is stretching the TAP to its limits. The TAP only has a maximum 10mm total range of movement and a 135mm can require more. You really have to manually focus close, then use the TAP in AF to finalize the focusing for best performance.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Hin,

The 135mm focal length is stretching the TAP to its limits. The TAP only has a maximum 10mm total range of movement and a 135mm can require more. You really have to manually focus close, then use the TAP in AF to finalize the focusing for best performance.

Yes, I was playing with the FL setup and try the longest one. At the time, I was actually shooting with my Pentax FA 43mm and not a heavy lens. I have two 135mm which both are heavy for TAP to handle, I may try the lighter one with Tamron adaptall-2 135mm f/2.5. That 135mm gave me an memorable picture of my older boy while running in twilight color after sunset

View attachment 80645
Catch My Boy In Twilight
by Hin Man, on Flickr
Not shot with TAB but with Tamron adaptall 135mm f/2.5 and Pentax K-5

The TAP surprises me but you are right, I need to work with its limits and move MF point closer to proximity to achieve easier focus. I will try again on f/32 today with the actual 135mm lens and report back what happen -- this is so exciting and the TAP has made it a totally new experience. So far my excitement easily run over all the kinks and clumsy inputs of FL at start up.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
If you would like a much lighter 135mm with good image quality look for a Jupiter-11. This is a Soviet copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 4.0/135. They were made in three mounts, M42, M39 and Kiev. The M39 version would be the easiest with the TAP as it is smaller and lighter than the others and the M39/LTM to M adapter is only a small metal ring. Another advantage of the Jupiter-11 is the Soviets made them in the hundreds of thousands so they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
34494703403_f1520ebc4b_b.jpg
   ---            

20170613-DSC01629

by Hin Man, on Flickr
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 in K-mount and TAP

34494690523_235fdc7a44_b.jpg
   ---            

20170610-DSC00287

by Hin Man, on Flickr
Likely shot it in 70mm and wide open in f/2.8 with the Tamron zoom and TAB.

The combination works best with Flexible spot in L or M size. Can't use Flexible spot with S on the zoom and infinity focus work for most of my test shots. I did run into problem with AF in close focusing shooting. MF through AF/MF toggle works better in those situations.

I love small lenses and the Pentax FA 43mm f/1.9 is small like a pancake size. The Pentax is lighter than Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4, not by much. I will use both of them with TAB.

35264217666_da532e0b0c_b.jpg
   ---            

20170613-DSC01633

by Hin Man, on Flickr

34494691643_20a40d3e8a_b.jpg
   ---            

20170613-DSC01632

by Hin Man, on Flickr

Cheers,
Hin

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I downloaded the Config app on Android and I managed to configure the first four apertures with four of my lenses in 17, 31, 40, 43 into the registry. In order to change configuration, one needs to wirelessly connect the TAP to the app through the same steps in UPDATE app in switching to f/90 on camera body, take a shot and turn off the camera. It is not obvious to me why the camera being off will have the TAB connected to the APP through Bluetooth. Where does the TAP draw the power from when the camera is OFF. Anyway, as soon as I go through the steps, the Config app will recognize the TAP and transfer all the configured FL registry to the TAP quickly. Weird but genius but I have to admit that it is a bit clumsy and hard to imagine anyone will know these steps without reading the UPDATE instruction. And the Config app doen't have any help or online menu, maybe I missed it.

Now the problem I have is that I have poor memory to remember what Aperture is used for which lens. I should have a print screen or simply write down the config preserving a hard copy for reference. Or simply bring up the App to remind myself. Hopefully with usage, those configured apaerture and FL will stick in my memory.

Since changing Flexible spots with Small size to either Medium or Large size, the AF in the TAP has been amazing. Initially I am very concerned on one of my heavier prime with Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8, I tried this morning and it works quite well in short distance as in 3 to 12 feet. Will try broader range before I decide if I should let go with a lighter 20/21 lens such as Voigtlander 20mm f/4.0.

Thanks!
Hin

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
I downloaded the Config app on Android and I managed to configure the first four apertures with four of my lenses in 17, 31, 40, 43 into the registry. In order to change configuration, one needs to wirelessly connect the TAP to the app through the same steps in UPDATE app in switching to f/90 on camera body, take a shot and turn off the camera. It is not obvious to me why the camera being off will have the TAB connected to the APP through Bluetooth. Where does the TAP draw the power from when the camera is OFF. Anyway, as soon as I go through the steps, the Config app will recognize the TAP and transfer all the configured FL registry to the TAP quickly. Weird but genius but I have to admit that it is a bit clumsy and hard to imagine anyone will know these steps without reading the UPDATE instruction. And the Config app doen't have any help or online menu, maybe I missed it.

Now the problem I have is that I have poor memory to remember what Aperture is used for which lens. I should have a print screen or simply write down the config preserving a hard copy for reference. Or simply bring up the App to remind myself. Hopefully with usage, those configured apaerture and FL will stick in my memory.

Since changing Flexible spots with Small size to either Medium or Large size, the AF in the TAP has been amazing. Initially I am very concerned on one of my heavier prime with Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8, I tried this morning and it works quite well in short distance as in 3 to 12 feet. Will try broader range before I decide if I should let go with a lighter 20/21 lens such as Voigtlander 20mm f/4.0.

Thanks!
Hin

The TAP draws power from the camera battery even with power off. If you leave the TAP on your camera for a few days the battery will be drained.

One undocumented trick. Remove and replace the battery when you are done shooting and the TAP won't drain the battery. At least that is the conclusion of TAP users at FredMiranda.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks for the tip in removing battery once after turning off camera. Will removing the whole TAP with lens from the camera does the job similarly. I have to agree that removing battery is a safer operation

I am likely on version 4.0 of the firmware and I am more than thrilled with its performance in Flexible center spot on M or L in size, I can't use Small size as AF will hunt. And I have not ventured into using AF points on the side and I do see discussions on poorer AF performance on the side. If I can find out what version 5.0 fixes, I may attempt to try the upgrade. The saying goes with don't upgrade anything that goes well so far has tempted me not to upgrade.

This adapter has changed my planning for gear. Flexibility comes to mind because of the AF and close focus ability of TAP. It is worth every penny that I spend on the TAP -- I am totally happy with the TAP so far, it is my best adapter that I have ever used.

Originally, I thought of letting go my Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8 as it is my most expensive wide lens and I don't shoot enough landscape shots to justify. With the TAP, the AF works extremely well with this heavier Voigtlander and I am in love with the AF combo with the TAP. The combo works quick and wide. I also have the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.8 which I love dearly and now my mind is set for the 15mm when I can unload some other gear and make room for the 15mm. I am not a super-wide in my shooting and I currently shoot with Tamron adaptall-2 17mm f/3.5 that can be hooked up with the TAB, the size on the 15mm will be a great advantage.

Please share your wide angle lens experience and recommendations, or if other alternatives in MF should be considered.

Cheers,
Hin

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I am curious to know if using the TAP is noisy. I have a Techart autofocus adapter for Contax G lenses. It works very well for the most part, especially on the A7ii versus the A6000 I used earlier. But it is very noisy. If I was to get a TAP and it was equally noisy, I would find that disappointing as a general purpose always-on-the-camera thing. The idea is certainly appealing.

Edit: I went back to the first postings and see that it is indeed somewhat quieter. I think I will go find some YouTube videos, somebody must have one with audio.

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
I am curious to know if using the TAP is noisy. I have a Techart autofocus adapter for Contax G lenses. It works very well for the most part, especially on the A7ii versus the A6000 I used earlier. But it is very noisy. If I was to get a TAP and it was equally noisy, I would find that disappointing as a general purpose always-on-the-camera thing. The idea is certainly appealing.
I don't have the Contax G adapter to compare, but I'm fairly certain it is equally noisy. The TAP is not silent by any stretch of the imagination.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I have used the earlier version of TAP similar for Contax G lenses, it is way noisier and I end up selling the adapter. The later version with firmware upgrade may have improved in the Contax G version but the current TAP is way better in quieter handling and the PDAF works very well. If you like the Contax G adapter, I have high confidence you will be wowed by the current TAP.

I look around and I don't see any Contax G to Leica M adapter. If such adapter exists, you can use the Contax G on the current TAP.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I did find a couple video demos using the adapter. It does seem a lot quieter.

The only G-to-M options I found were actually lens conversions. Which is not something I would want to do, so I'd either keep what I have or sell mine with the adapter, and replace them with something else. I would find it difficult to give up my G lenses, they are by far my favorites among the lenses I have used (which is actually not very many compared to a lot of people here).

Manual focus just does not seem to be working as well for me as I would like. Age may be a factor for me, and though I have always worn glasses, even so I find some difficulty even focusing on computer displays. It certainly could be poor technique, I am an amateur to be sure. I normally get close and often nail it, but sometimes I am off just enough to be frustrated after I get home and see a larger image. So I am considering either switching to autofocusing glass, or using the TAP adapter. I do love older glass with real aperture and focus rings, but I want to get sharp photos more.

Anyway, this thread has been pretty interesting. I have not yet decided if this is the way to go for me, but it is probably cheaper than converting to native glass.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
The manual focus on the tiny knob on the Techart Contax G adapter is one of the feature that totally turn me off as the Contax G lenses have no focusing ring for Manual Focus. The experience on the TAB doesn't carry any of the issues. Hence I found a bit of underwhelming on the Contax G adapter. With current TAB, when AF is not at its best, I programmed my AF/MF for toggling and it is easy to toggle back and forth for MF and the TAP let me do the MF if I choose it over the AF. So the control is back to user and nailing focusing on the focusing ring is much easier than the tiny knob that is used in Contax G adapter.

Also, I have poor eyesight with worsening problems in near vision as I age, I find the TAB a totally worth investment for my personal need. Not that I don't enjoy MF, but it is my aging limitations that I find the TAB the right tool to enable me with control and flexibility with both MF and AF with my lenses. For close up shots, I find it easier to MF in most situations. My steps are simply:
  • Toggle AF/MF to MF
  • Adjust focusing to minimum focusing distance
  • Move the lens back and forth with subject for peaking, magnified if desired
Please don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone gets a not-so-sharp pictures with MF. It is subject to how much time I use to focus manually. The hard work usually pays off in the end and every single time that I rush in manual focusing, I paid the price for a blur photo.

Cheers,
Hin

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I love the TAP. I really want to buy another A7 II so I can have 2 bodies with TAP adapters. I'm just waiting for the A7 II bodies to drop in price.

I'm almost hitting 40, and I'm too lazy to MF with small fast kids! The Techart Pro is awesome!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I need to break down and try my TAP again. I haven't had it on the camera since it killed the battery before I knew it would if left on even turning the camera off.
I find that manual focusing really involves me more with taking the shot too. A small adjustment to the diopter setting on the A7ii has given new meaning to seeing the correct focus point too.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I just upgraded firmware through Android tablet from version 4 to version 5. It takes a long time as in over 30 minutes to upload the firmware but all is well. There is a byte counter in the app and one can know the progress.

With the version 5 updated, I don't notice any difference. The nice thing about the TAP update is that all the recent previous firmware versions are listed in the Update app and one can actually go back to previous version if one chooses. Out of all the adapters that I use, the TAP is the most amazing and the best built. I start buying all different mount to Leica M adapter. I recently get C/Y to Leica M adapter from K&F Concept.

This brand is highly recommended by me as I really like the build from K&F Concept, I have more than 4 different adapters from this company and they are of better build than others especially on the switch that locks/unlocks the adapter.

I find the TAP best use with prime and lighter lens. It works beautifully with a Sigma super wide II 24mm f/2.8 in C/Y mount and my Pentax FA 43mm f/1.8 limited in K-mount. I have a K&F m42 to Leica M mount adapter coming and I can't wait to try it on my Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 8-element and my other m42 lenses.

And there is a Alpha to Leica M adapter that I have been watching, if the alpha lens is light enough, I will think the TAP may beat the LA-EA4 adapter for some of the alpha lenses that require screw drive motor. For one, it will not lose the 1/3 to 1/2 stop of light due to SLT.

Cheers,
Hin

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I decided to try the TAP on my A7ii. It just came in today, but I am waiting for a Minolta>M adapter that should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I was looking around on line for tips and found this rather troubling thread: Techart PRO FAQ

The "wobble" is most easily seen in this video, linked in discussion above; you need to close focus so that the adapter is extended a bit, if I understand correctly.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/Video.mp4

Have those of you who have had and been using the TAP for awhile experienced this wobbling problem? I have had the Techart Contax G AF adapter for a while now, which though noisy has worked quite well for me. So I was looking at using the TAP as a general solution for autofocus on other legacy lenses, rather than going with native lenses. This is giving me pause on whether this is a wise plan after all, and I am wondering if I should send it back (purchased in US via Amazon so I do have this option).

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
I decided to try the TAP on my A7ii. It just came in today, but I am waiting for a Minolta>M adapter that should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I was looking around on line for tips and found this rather troubling thread: Techart PRO FAQ

The "wobble" is most easily seen in this video, linked in discussion above; you need to close focus so that the adapter is extended a bit, if I understand correctly.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/Video.mp4

Have those of you who have had and been using the TAP for awhile experienced this wobbling problem? I have had the Techart Contax G AF adapter for a while now, which though noisy has worked quite well for me. So I was looking at using the TAP as a general solution for autofocus on other legacy lenses, rather than going with native lenses. This is giving me pause on whether this is a wise plan after all, and I am wondering if I should send it back (purchased in US via Amazon so I do have this option).

I have had the TAP for several months and have not experienced the 'wobble'. I have no reason to doubt those who have complained about it but there are a lot more TAP users who are not experiencing this problem. There may be some bad adapters. The users who are experiencing the problem may have been mounting overly heavy lenses. After all the TAP is designed for use with Leica M mount lenses that are generally small and light.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I have not noticed this problem, but I also have not looked for it. I use the TAP primarily in situations where i expect to need rapid, good enough focus. For extremely critical, corner to corner focusing, I would not use it anyway. If it happens mostly when the adapter is extended, then it is in a close focus condition. The combination of close focus and corner to corner sharpness sounds like a tripod and manual focus situation to me, not a TAP situation. But I can imagine this would be a problem for other photographers.

However, it is good to know the potential limits and problems of my equipment. That is always useful information for planning a shot.

Latest threads

Top Bottom