• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anybody try the Techart Pro AF Leica M adapter yet?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of my favorite photo in the year was made with TAP and Voiglander 21mm f/1.8.

View attachment 97813
20180805-DSC03246-Edit
by Hin Man, on Flickr

After over a year of usage, my copy of Tab does have loosening on the mount but it is still usable.

Cheers,
Hin
Hi Hin,

How is the focus with the 21mm? I have the CV 15mm 4.5 Heliar II, but it's prone to hunt if there isn't much contrast to lock onto. My CV 40mm 1.4 Nokton works fine though, so I think it's due to the TAP being more responsive with fast aperture lenses.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think lighter and faster lenses works best, maybe also the lens contrast levels might help. I tried with 17mm pancake lens that needed to stop down and ended up using in manual mode... I found 35mm 1.4 lens worked better then 28mm f2, faster lens, and 73mm 1.5 lens better then 50mm 1.2 lens due to weight. I am using Contax g 45mm f2 m mount, light and contrasty, and works great also.

llens
Hi Hin,

How is the focus with the 21mm? I have the CV 15mm 4.5 Heliar II, but it's prone to hunt if there isn't much contrast to lock onto. My CV 40mm 1.4 Nokton works fine though, so I think it's due to the TAP being more responsive with fast aperture lenses.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Hi Hin,

My Tap works well in AF with the Voiglander 21mm f/1.8. The lens is on the heavier side. I also have CV 40mm f/1.4 and love it on Tap. Between the two, I feel more comfortable in using the 40mm. But this day, I don't want to worry but to use the tap to the fullness knowing that at some point, I may need to get another copy of Tab because of the loosening of mount with wear and tear.

There is the CV 21mm f/3.5 and that is another smaller and lighter lens to consider.

update: hunting in lower contrast and indoor are more prone to happen and my experience applies across my lens usage. I switch to MF when needed.

20180927-DSC07646

by Hin Man, on Flickr

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited:

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Just went thru the whole thread. I can be interested in this adapter (it would work with all my OM lenses, except the 85mm I'm planning to buy since a while), any idea on the best place to source it in Europe? it's 350 euros on amazon.it right now, I think it can be bought cheaper than this.

TJphotobooth

New to TalkEmount
I need M39 adapter and i see there are couple versions for different focal lengths. Does anyone know if it matters at all which one to use with the techart pro? I am using Triplet-43 40 mm f/4 adapted to M39 mount and I want to attach it to the techart pro.
Any help would be appreciated.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The Techart Pro (aka TAP) is actually pretty simple - it varies its own length to achieve focus. As long as your lens + adapter falls within M tolerances, you should be able to autofocus on the TAP.

Shameless plug: If you are in the US, I have a TAP for sale here and on FM (same price). Great adapter, but I am switching to native mount lenses so it has to go.

TJphotobooth

New to TalkEmount
The Techart Pro (aka TAP) is actually pretty simple - it varies its own length to achieve focus. As long as your lens + adapter falls within M tolerances, you should be able to autofocus on the TAP.

Shameless plug: If you are in the US, I have a TAP for sale here and on FM (same price). Great adapter, but I am switching to native mount lenses so it has to go.
Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately i am not in US and I have already ordered the adapter. Just wondering about the M39 dilemma

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
No problem. It is a great adapter, enjoy.

Maybe someone who knows more about M39 in general will jump in.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think you can use any m39 to m adapters with Techart since it doesn't recognize the lens as you need to enter the focal length manually. The adapter might be more important with Leica m cameras as they don't have a rangefinder focus lines for 40mm eg you need to choose 35mm vs 50mm to focus. Then the adapter will tell the camera to pick which frameline that you want to use. I haven't used the M cameras but I used CV ltm lenses with techart with m39-m adapter.

I need M39 adapter and i see there are couple versions for different focal lengths. Does anyone know if it matters at all which one to use with the techart pro? I am using Triplet-43 40 mm f/4 adapted to M39 mount and I want to attach it to the techart pro.

TJphotobooth

New to TalkEmount
I think you can use any m39 to m adapters with Techart since it doesn't recognize the lens as you need to enter the focal length manually. The adapter might be more important with Leica m cameras as they don't have a rangefinder focus lines for 40mm eg you need to choose 35mm vs 50mm to focus. Then the adapter will tell the camera to pick which frameline that you want to use. I haven't used the M cameras but I used CV ltm lenses with techart with m39-m adapter.
Thank you for your insight, I was thinking the same but wasn't quite sure.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Hi, I bought these one:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07587GHSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And used it on the TAP with voigtlander 15 4,5, jupiter-8 50mm, jupiter-9 85mm and voigtlander 75 2,5, no problems at all

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Discovered something new with the TAP + the A7III and perhaps it can be applied to the A7RIII and maybe the A9. If you're a C-AF type shooter, I noticed slightly better AF response if you set > Priority Set in AF-C > Balanced Emphasis. I found it hunted less if set to > Priority Set in AF-C > Release, but was more active than if set to > Priority Set in AF-C > Focus. Wide angle AF performance with my CV 15mm 4.5 improved with this setting and might apply to other wide angle adapted M-mount lenses.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
New tidbit of information!

For those shooting with an A7/R III, I've also found adjusting the > AF Track Sens > 1 (Lock On), prioritizes AF to gain focus before re-adjusting. This limits the amount of hunting the TAP does with the 3rd gen A7 bodies. You can also place this option in your 'Function Menu' (or custom button) if you need to adjust the > AF Track Sens > x for sports or fast type action. I hesitated before posting this to verify it makes a difference and after testing it out, it seems to make the TAP a bit more stable with the III series cameras.

FYI - I'm on an A7III running FW 2.10 and the TAP is running FW 6.0.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I just got this virtually unused from Amazon seller. I've only used the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 and the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5 but both seem to overexpose by almost 3 stops even though I'm in manual exposure. Tried Aperture priority and the same, over exposes. It didn't come with a manual and there doesn't seem to be anything useful on the Techart web, in English anyway. Can anyone tell me where I can find some instructions? It's running firmware 6 by the way.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I just got this virtually unused from Amazon seller. I've only used the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 and the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5 but both seem to overexpose by almost 3 stops even though I'm in manual exposure. Tried Aperture priority and the same, over exposes. It didn't come with a manual and there doesn't seem to be anything useful on the Techart web, in English anyway. Can anyone tell me where I can find some instructions? It's running firmware 6 by the way.
try to read through, when I find time, I will find the right post and summary
Techart PRO FAQ

It is likely coming from your setup. On your camera aperture set to f/2.0 and on your lens set your desired aperture, aperture mode. There is a sophisticated for 10 recognized lens setup and that will get you the right exif if you do F/99 and then the setup on the pairing of virtual aperture to your actual aperture. The default without setup is good enough for most cases.

Will write again or I am sure another kind folks will jump in to help you. Now I wish I go back to blogging where I drop down exactly the experience and setup.

Cheers,
Hin

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
The app for iOS and Android that is available in their respective "App Store" is only for updating firmware on the TAP adapter. There is a separate app (only available for Android here: http://techartpro.com/0831-LM-EA7-Config.apk) that allows you to change the list above (e.g. I have a 100mm lens so I might change ƒ/29 = 100mm instead of 90mm). None of the apps allow you to set the active focal length being used with the adapter. The only way to change this is to follow the steps outlined in the instructions.

Example when changing to 35mm focal length:
  1. Set camera f-stop to f/22
  2. Press shutter button so that the shutter fires (takes a photo)
  3. Set camera aperture back to f/2.0
  4. Delete photo taken (optional)
After that, the recorded focal length will be 35mm in the exif data. This is also fed to the IBIS system in the camera. It's all a bit clumsy and I wish there was an app that allowed to change the active focal length from the phone. Unfortunately, this would increase battery drain (something the TAP already suffers from) as it would require the bluetooth module in the TAP to remain active listening for connections. I stopped worrying about what focal length the TAP writes to the exif data and just manually set focal length when I change lenses for IBIS only. It's easier and faster. I set C4 to bring up the IBIS focal length setting and it takes considerably less time to change focal length.
There's a quirky sequence you need to perform on the camera to change the reported focal length. You have to change the aperture on the camera to a specified f-stop, press the shutter button then switch it back to f/2.0. See the chart below:

View attachment 80620

These are the focal lengths supported by default but you can change them. Only thing is you need an Android device to do so
I quickly go back to page 11/12/13 where I find some earlier threads that I get help on.

Cheers,
Hin

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Make sure the camera itself is set to f2.0 for aperture. Set exposure manually with your shutter speed, ISO, and the lens aperture ring. The TAP only controls lens focus (basically by adjusting the physical distance of lens to sensor).

You can get the instructions, among other things, at the following link. I found the instructions a rather confusing document, but the information is there.
DOWNLOADS

Have fun. It really is a clever little thing that works pretty well all things considered, once you figure out how to go about using it.

Edit: the posts at the link Hin Man provided to FM are quite informative, though it is a lot of reading. Don't worry too much about those special set-F-stop-and-take-a-picture settings, they are mainly to override behavior or to set what gets recorded in EXIF. Figure out the basics and come back to that later.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
Thanks all, I will have some reading to do! At the moment I'm in the process (lengthy) of transferring 6 months worth of pics to my external hard drives ..... or my iMac is gonna die a slow death!

Top Bottom