• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anybody try the Techart Pro AF Leica M adapter yet?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
If I were going to use my Nikon 300 f4.5 on the TAP, I think I'd set it up on the tripod using the lens collar to hold it and let the TAP only move the camera body.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jonathan, I'd be very interested to hear how your getting the TAP to work with F mount (Nikon) MF lenses and your experiences with them as I have access to both a 300mm F4.5 and 500mm F4.
My experience is any lens longer than 58mm will need you to do slight focus adjustments to assist the TAP. The good thing though, once you get focus confirmation the hit rate is quite high and probably better than if you tried focusing by eye even with focus peaking. The lenses that work best on the TAP are usually those that are fairly light weight and have short focus throws.

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
My experience is any lens longer than 58mm will need you to do slight focus adjustments to assist the TAP. The good thing though, once you get focus confirmation the hit rate is quite high and probably better than if you tried focusing by eye even with focus peaking. The lenses that work best on the TAP are usually those that are fairly light weight and have short focus throws.
I will go along with this although I would stretch the easy focusing range to cover my 75mm Voigtlander which has never required adjustment for autofocus.

One thing that I don't remember seeing mentioned. The TAP makes an excellent close focus adapter simply by setting your lens down closer than infinity.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I will go along with this although I would stretch the easy focusing range to cover my 75mm Voigtlander which has never required adjustment for autofocus.

One thing that I don't remember seeing mentioned. The TAP makes an excellent close focus adapter simply by setting your lens down closer than infinity.
Regarding the Voigtlander 75mm, do you have the 1.8 or 2.5 M39 version? I tried the CV 75mm 1.8 and I still had to manual focus it slightly. I find lenses with a 15 to 20 ft. focus distance range before infinity usually seem the easiest to work with on the TAP.

Indeed the close focus ability is also very nice to have. Great for things like headshots because you can get closer to blur out more of the background if you chose. Not just for macro! ;)

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
Regarding the Voigtlander 75mm, do you have the 1.8 or 2.5 M39 version? I tried the CV 75mm 1.8 and I still had to manual focus it slightly. I find lenses with a 15 to 20 ft. focus distance range before infinity usually seem the easiest to work with on the TAP.

Indeed the close focus ability is also very nice to have. Great for things like headshots because you can get closer to blur out more of the background if you chose. Not just for macro! ;)
Mine is the 2.5 version on LTM mount.

magicaxeman

TalkEmount Rookie
I think that kind of rules it out as a viable method of AF'ing long lenses.

My Voigtlander is the 2.5 LTM version converted to M mount with the dedicated Voigtlander adapter.
I found it much sharper than the 1.8 which was soft until around F4

dlhomesolutions

TalkEmount Regular
Portrait with TechArt Pro and Helios 44-2 85mm 2.0. Straight out of the camera raw image. No processing.
   ---            

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
I think that kind of rules it out as a viable method of AF'ing long lenses.

My Voigtlander is the 2.5 LTM version converted to M mount with the dedicated Voigtlander adapter.
I found it much sharper than the 1.8 which was soft until around F4
Techart themselves don't recommend using the TAP for longer lenses. Their control software doesn't have any selections beyond 135mm and my experience at 135mm has never been good.

Still, the issue isn't about how well the dog speaks but that the dog speaks at all.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Techart, if you’re reading these thread..( that seems quite a FAQ for your product :p )

Please, make the TAP supporting the first A7 :)

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
That’s not true, the first A7 has PDAF, while the first R and S haven’t it
This is correct, the first A7 does have PDAF. This question came up a lot in the early days of the TAP. According to Techart, Sony used a different set of algorithms in the PDAF code in the A7II from the A7. Sony also made the A7II code public but didn't do the same with the A7. Techart had a basis to work from to match the code for the A7II and A6300 series cameras that they don't have for the earlier Sony cameras.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
It is sad to report that I start seeing my TAP wobble when I use it with my Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 lens. It is still working fine but I notice the wobble if I gently push the tip of the lens and I can see the wobble, especially the top part of the TAP.

Here are the video to see the wobble

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/Video.mp4

Techart PRO FAQ

When I check my TAP a while ago, I was not seeing the problem but now I am start seeing it. I will try it with Leica M mount lens later without the extra K to M adapter.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
It is sad to report that I start seeing the TAP wobble when I use it with my Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 lens. It is still working fine but I notice the wobble if I gently push the tip of the lens and I can see the wobble, especially the top part of the TAP.

Here are the video to see the wobble

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/Video.mp4

Techart PRO FAQ

When I check my TAP a while ago, I was not seeing the problem but now I am start seeing it. I will try it with Leica M mount lens later without the extra K to M adapter.

Cheers,
Hin
Have you put any heavy lenses on your TAP recently? I've been very careful not to put heavy glass on it. Even though the TAP is rated for 700g, I've been trying to keep it under 400g especially with lenses that require additional adapters.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I have been using my TAP with lightweight prime lens, the last lens that I use weight around 350 grams. My wobble at this time is noticeable but not as bad as in the video. I know that many people including myself don't see this problem. I do think it is problem in the Techart design on the lens carrier that can happen to wobble with usage. Will report back when I tried it on leica m lens without use of leica M adapter.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have been using my TAP with lightweight prime lens, the last lens that I use weight around 350 grams. My wobble at this time is noticeable but not as bad as in the video. I know that many people including myself don't see this problem. I do think it is problem in the Techart design on the lens carrier that can happen to wobble with usage. Will report back when I tried it on leica m lens without use of leica M adapter.

Cheers,
Hin
Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to tightened the extending barrel? I have two TAP adapters right now and both seem fairly solid. I've probably put several thousand clicks through both of them as well.

msgill

New to TalkEmount
A new member of this learned community with first post. i have sony A7ii & eos 5dc with adapters. Now leaning towards TAP LM-EA7ii. My question is if i mount on TAP EOS L/M adapter can I use 5dc adapters for mounting OM/PK/MD/C/Y/NI/M42 normal lenses (light weight below 700grams) and AF will be possible. If already asked will regret because not read whole thread. Thanks in advance.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
A new member of this learned community with first post. i have sony A7ii & eos 5dc with adapters. Now leaning towards TAP LM-EA7ii. My question is if i mount on TAP EOS L/M adapter can I use 5dc adapters for mounting OM/PK/MD/C/Y/NI/M42 normal lenses (light weight below 700grams) and AF will be possible. If already asked will regret because not read whole thread. Thanks in advance.
It should work, but just realize you're stacking 3 adapters onto the camera (TAP + EOS L/M adapter + X to EOS adapter). Unless you have quite a variety of different lenses, I'd at least try getting an 'X' to Leica M mount adapter for the lenses you use most. Each adapter can possibly add a bit of flex, possible light leaks and tolerance variables. Even though Techart says it's safe to mount under 700 grams, less weight is always ideal.

Top Bottom