• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anybody try the Techart Pro AF Leica M adapter yet?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just picked up this adapter. All I can say this is the coolest thing ever! It's not perfect, but it's some impressive technology. I haven't been able to shoot much, but in good light it focuses well comparable to something like a F100 and screw drive prime lens. Fast enough for everything but the quickest moving subjects! It's really dependent on the size and weight of your lens though. It's also worth nothing that the adapter allows for closer focusing if shooting with an SLR lens, due to the longer flange distance with those lenses.

I'll try to shoot it more in the next couple days, but I'll follow up in this post!

Techart Pro adapter on the A7 II with a Nikon to Leica M adapter and an old school Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S pancake lens -

techart_pro_nikon
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

I believe this was shot with the Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-S Lens -

DSC00390

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Is this one of those items that only works on an a7ii or later, and the a7 (original) is out of luck?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Is this one of those items that only works on an a7ii or later, and the a7 (original) is out of luck?
Unfortunately the original A7 is out of luck here. I actually prefer the A7 body due to the more compact size. I ended up selling mine, because I'm using entirely AF adapters that rely on that open PDAF protocol.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I guess I'm the only person with the Techart Pro AF adapter! Seriously, this adapter is awesome. It's not as fast as shooting native, but it still pretty good considering the lenses I'm using never had AF to begin with!

Here are a couple more shots using both the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S and the 28mm 2.8 AI-S lenses:

techart_nikon_06

techart_nikon_01

techart_nikon_02

techart_nikon_03

techart_nikon_04

techart_nikon_05

techart_nikon_07

techart_nikon_08

techart_nikon_09

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah, if I had any M-mount lenses, I'd be all over that thing. How's the focusing noise with this adapter? My Techart Contax G adapter works great, but it sounds like a bucket full of washers.
You don't need M mount lenses. Just get the proper M to <insert mount> adapter and you're good to go! I have old school Nikon AI-S lenses I've been collecting and they work great with the adapter. Though I find anything at 105mm and above needs some fine tuning while focusing, but it's pretty accurate overall. The screw drive AF on it isn't very loud either. Apparently they were able to tweak adapter noise levels with the latest firmware update.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
If I hadn't just bought my Techart Contax G adapter (which works pretty well), I would consider buying one of these. Even though at the moment I have no M glass this brings so many AF possibilities to multiple legacy mounts.

I have been toying with the idea of selling my G adapter to fund this one. Anyone used both and can compare? I would hate to do this and find I should have kept my G adapter.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If I hadn't just bought my Techart Contax G adapter (which works pretty well), I would consider buying one of these. Even though at the moment I have no M glass this brings so many AF possibilities to multiple legacy mounts.

I have been toying with the idea of selling my G adapter to fund this one. Anyone used both and can compare? I would hate to do this and find I should have kept my G adapter.
I think the pros for the Techart M adapter is the possibility to use other mounts. It really breaths new life into my Nikon MF glass.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
How about reversed lenses? ;)
Will it work with an A6000?
Unfortunately the adapter only works properly with PDAF enable cameras like the A7II/SII/RII and A6300.

In regards to lens reversals, if you have the adequate adapter you should be able to do it.

rbelyell

TalkEmount Regular
i thought the a6000 got pdaf through a firmware update, no?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So if I understand what I've just quickly read on the site you linked to in the OP, this adapter will turn my Leica M mount Summilux into an auto focus lens on my a7ii.
And with another adapter added will turn my Nikon lenses into the same thing.
That would be pretty cool since I don't have any native lenses.

michealj

TalkEmount Veteran
Hi Jonathan,
I just received my adapter yesterday. The only M lens I have is the VC 40mm F1.4 and it is working very well, with a few shots today. I have 2 adapters on order, a OM and Nikon to M mount. The very little I have used it, it will be quite capable for my type of photography. This was taken with the 40mm this afternoon. I can see myself using this set up for walking around.

_DSC3093.jpg
by Micheal Johnson, on Flickr

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
So if I understand what I've just quickly read on the site you linked to in the OP, this adapter will turn my Leica M mount Summilux into an auto focus lens on my a7ii.
And with another adapter added will turn my Nikon lenses into the same thing.
That would be pretty cool since I don't have any native lenses.
Yes and yes!

I still don't know how this adapter isn't more popular, because it's pretty darn amazing. I ended up getting rid of all my native glass and I just shoot AF adapted now!

Top Bottom