Anybody has experience with Nex in the studio ?

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by wolf, Mar 17, 2013.

1. wolf

wolf New to TalkEmount

Mar 14, 2013
    Hey, I want to take my nex in the studio for portraits.

Atm I only have the nex 7 + 50mm lens
    I'm thinking about adding the 43flm flash from sony and a tripod

I'd best still get a softbox too I think?

Does anybody have experience with nex as studio camera ?
    samples would be very helpful ;)
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Why not? The 7 does everything you need in a studio.

But first, you need a HVL-F20AM to trigger the other Sony flashes wirelessly - the built-in unit can't do this. Then, you'll need at least two HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM to light your subject. I'd recommend three, but that's probably just because I like a decent hairlight.

For each flash you get (except the F20AM) you'll need a flash tripod and a softbox - or umbrellas, depending on how exactly you want your light to look like. That's it - with this equipment you should be good to go. The 50mm lens is quite okay for studio portraits, just stop it down a little.
  3. wolf

wolf New to TalkEmount

Mar 14, 2013
    thx for the info, but can't I use one 43am on my nex 7 and then mount another on a tripod and trigger it ?

Or just use studiolight instead of flashes ?
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I use cheap studio flashes (2 x Falcon SS150F with softboxes) to photograph my lenses in a studio setup. I use a flash meter to adjust the flashes' output and the NEX-6 is on manual with Minolta MF lenses. I use a cheap YongNuo wireless flash trigger, that just works. A NEX on a tripod is kind of a joke, and I'm seriously worried when using heavy lenses that way. I use an adapter with a tripod mount with my Minolta legacy glass, that works fine. No problem there if you use the camera hand-held of course.
  5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Sure you can, but four F43AM? A little wasted money, I'd say. One F20AM and three F43AM are just that little bit cheaper.

If you want to go super cheap, addieleman just said one of those many manual flash setups that work. I, personally, prefer using Sony flashes, and if it's just for those rare occasions where TTL metering and uncomplicated wireless triggering (without a expensive trigger system) is needed.

As for constant lights vs. flashes - if you want to use them only for stills, flashes are the way to go definitely. I could tell you dozens of reasons, but to keep it simple: They're smaller, faster, more powerful and more versatile. If you need them for video too, flashes aren't an option anyways.
  6. wolf

wolf New to TalkEmount

Mar 14, 2013

no no, lol
    I'd go for a f43am mounted on my nex 7 and one on a tripod

i'm only intrested in stills , not video
  7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    One off camera flash? I don't consider this enough for a studio - especially for portraits. But two should do - both on a tripod, triggered by a F20AM.
  8. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I'm not sure that going all-Sony for the flash is the most cost effective strategy, or necessary. Manual flash will work just fine in the studio.

Have a look at Strobist: Lighting 101. It's a great tutorial, and might give you a better sense of what you need in lighting. The only thing I'd say about his tutorial is that radio triggers have gotten so cheap (I use the Phottix Ares on my Nex-6) that I'd go directly to those, rather than start with wires like the tutorial suggests.

As for the Nex-7, it's a great choice.
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I like my N7 just fine in the studio! I decided to go with incandescent lighting and a tripod for my product shots and could scarcely be happier. I really like working with NEX's live view. My only gripe would be that those wafer thin NEX bodies can be a bit awkward with larger lenses on a tripod - particularly in portrait orientation. But I manage.

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    With product shots it is much easier to use availlable light than flash. Especially with glass and plastics (polystyrene may be the most difficult thing to photograph). Even for portraits availlable light is fine but you need usually flashes for hair etc.. HVL-F43AM costs here 300 euros. I think that it is bit pricey for a ttl-transmitter as with potraits you don't use flash on top of camera. You can get 3 studio flashes and wireless transmitters with that kind of money.Godox 600W 2 150WS 300SDI Studio Strobe Photo Light with Reflector Softbox Kit | eBay

Above is not compatible with 7 but would probably work nicely with 6.