1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody gone from A7R to A7II ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NullMind, Jan 17, 2015.

1. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm a happy A7R owner, and love it's 36mp sensor

But the new A7 II is tempting, as I mostly use MF lenses, the IBIS system would be great, but as I love landscape the R sensor is perfect for me

So a A7R II is what I want, but no sign of one, so I wonder if anybody has gone from the R to the II and what are your findings :)

Carlos

2. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I have both. The II is smoother in operation and the IBIS is nice, although not as
    effective on legacy lenses as the E-M1 IBIS. I like having two bodies so that I'm
    not switching lenses in the field.

As it is I relegate my wide / tripod shots to the R and telephoto to the II. The dynamic
    range of the II is nowhere close to the of the R.

• Like Like x 3
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I may just hold out for that 50mp sensor rumor. That plus IBIS... = heaven. Here's to hoping CP+ makes our dreams come true.

The a7mii is incredibly tempting however. [emoji7]

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The question is if the new A9 will have IBIS per Sony dcwatch.jp interview... It will be more expensive too. We might maybe hear it in the next month at the Japanese photo show... It looks like Sony closed their rumor leaks, eg SAR is more like a deal website now, learned about A7 II the day before its release thru the Chinese websites...

Interestingly A7 is Sony's most sold out mirrorless camera per flickr ownership reports, most probably driven by lower sales prices esp compared to other FF/high end mirrorless cameras:
    http://blog.flickr.net/en/2015/01/13/camera-ownership-on-flickr-2013-2014/

5. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    I loved the A7R when I had it when I had a sharp shot. I'm not a landscape or tripod shooter so the shutter shock on the A7R was prevalent for me. I like to push lower shutter speeds in natural low light indoors so it was particularly challenging for me even concentrating on technique / breathing etc. Even just the move to a standard A7 with the electronic first curtain shutter was huge in terms of keepers. A7II I have now and it takes it to a whole other level, I pretty much never miss (miss in terms of critically sharp) a basic handheld shot and if it's blurry it's because of subject movement. If you need the resolution the A7R is tough to beat. For me the 24mp was sharp enough. Shoot, if the A7S II came out I may even go 12mp =).

• Like Like x 3
  6. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Shooting an a7r handheld at lowish shutter speeds and expecting perfect results is severe optimism. The 'shutter shock' isn't the issue, the resolution is, IMO. My minimum acceptable shutter for anything under 55mm is 1/125, really, and that's still a little optimistic occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 3
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    This is my exact findings also!

8. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I tried staying around 160th

9. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    I find myself doubling the shutter speed in comparison with the lens

Example, I shoot the 35mm @ 1/60-1/80, the 50mm @ 1/100 an the 85mm @ 1/160

Thats why the IBIS is really attractive to me, I will give it a little while longer to see if we get a A7RII :)

10. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    Bring on the A7R mkII...hoping it will bring the prices down of the A7 mkII! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    the question i ask is, at what point does ibis lose it's effectiveness? with a fast enough shutter, and the right technique, there is no need for it.

the a7ii has been out for awhile, and no one has come up with a definitive answer to that... in fact, none of the reviews that i've seen of a7ii actually show ibis photos that are in critical focus... the pics show big improvements when it's turned on, but nothing that's really sharp... maybe i've missed it?

i liked ibis on the old k10d, and i'd really like to see it work on a ff mirrorless.

where i would want ibis the most is when shooting video, which is usually done at 1/60th... a small help there would go a long ways.