• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anybody else using multiple systems?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
For sports and silent shutter and a willingness to use smaller m4/3 sensors, how about an A6500?

The A6500 is an APS-C sized sensor, slightly larger than the M43 sensor. I think the A6500 has very good tracking abilities compared to anything in the M43 line-up, though I consider M43 bodies to handle better. Give it a try though and see how you like it. ;)

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The A6500 is an APS-C sized sensor, slightly larger than the M43 sensor. I think the A6500 has very good tracking abilities compared to anything in the M43 line-up, though I consider M43 bodies to handle better. Give it a try though and see how you like it. ;)

Oh, sorry, I did not mean for me. I should have used a reply as I was suggesting it for Jeffcs. I am already firmly in the Sony camp. :)

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I currently have a Fuji X-t2 I fool around with on the side. It's more portable than the A7 when you consider the size of the honking big Sony lenses. I also like that Fuji crammed everything they could think of, with a dial setting for same into one camera body. No apps for functions that should have been on the camera in the first place.

At the same time, that pics are overall not as good as my A7RII. I like my megapixels and dynamic range, and am considering selling it.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

RamblinR

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Maria
I'm all in on Olympus m43 with a great range of lenses and em1.1 and em1.2 bodies. But .... I have always wanted to try FF and I couldn't go back to dslr style cameras so I picked up an a7II. Whilst I have heard some say they don't like the Sony cameras I very much like the A7ii. Feels a lot like my em1.2 in the hand and similar to use once you have it set up. Have also been acquiring old film lenses that I am adapting to the A7ii. I did get two prime Sony lenses (55 f1.8 and 85 f1.8) so that I can use the eye detect for portraits which I have found to be very good.

RamblinR

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Maria
Totally agree. I'm surprised at how sharp they are for old lenses. Waiting on an FD adapter at the moment to try some mint Canon lenses I picked up on the weekend. Really hoping the Canon 50mm f1.4 is good from wide open.

The old film lenses really come into their own on a full frame camera with IBIS like the A7II.

slackercruster

TalkEmount Regular
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is running multiple camera systems? I sometimes want to consolidate my cameras into one system, but I find I like certain aspects from different brands. For example I prefer Nikon DSLRs for action and event photography, Sony for it's ability to use adapted glass and precision on-sensor PD and Olympus M43 for their excellent IBIS, built-in features (high res mode, live composite) and high quality lenses.

Is there anyone else here who uses other cameras besides Sony?

I just started with Sony in December. I bought it cause I can't get my Leicas back. Have few Leicas, but they are all in the shop. Been there for 6 months and no end in sight as to when I will ever get them back.

I've used M43 and loved them except you can't adjust manual on the fly easy, so gave them up.

Also have Fuji X. Love the little footprint and sensor. Generally use it for manual focus, the AF is terrible in poor light, but I have the old 16mp models.

I only shoot Zeiss lenses on the Sony. Great IQ, but soft corners with the wide angles. Works OK for the most part with me as most of my images are of center interest. Also have some Pentax DSLR's for sports but seldom use them.

Jeffcs

New to TalkEmount
I’ve looked at the Nikon af lens adapter to Sony and I can say with out a doubt I’m not an adapter person I’m a native body to lens person. I was Thinking of selling following all current production af 24pc, 20f1.8, 24f1.2, 85f1.4, 105f1.4 200-500 picking up Sony A9, 24-105f4 & 70-200f2.8

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I’ve looked at the Nikon af lens adapter to Sony and I can say with out a doubt I’m not an adapter person I’m a native body to lens person. I was Thinking of selling following all current production af 24pc, 20f1.8, 24f1.2, 85f1.4, 105f1.4 200-500 picking up Sony A9, 24-105f4 & 70-200f2.8

The latest Commlite Pro adapter works great with the Nikon fast primes. I would not sell those lenses just yet. Nikon glass is without a doubt on par with Zeiss glass if not better in certain instances.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
After shooting with Canon for over 30 years, I bought into the m43 system with the Oly EM1
I was using both Canon & Olympus systems for a while.

I then tried the Sony system and was over the moon with it so sold the rest of the Canon gear to finance an a7rii + a few lenses.
I was now using the Oly and Sony.

It didn't make sense to have two separate systems so sold the Oly gear and bought the a6300 - same battery and lens mount made it a no brainer for me.
Now running a full Sony setup and for the first time in my photo career I'm more than happy with my lot.

STOP PRESS
Just bought a Canon body so I can use my Tamron 150-600 :coco: :sorry:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Does that lens not adapt well to emount? Seems an AF adapter would be cheaper than a Canon body, but I know some lenses do not work so well with an AF adapter.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
Does that lens not adapt well to emount? Seems an AF adapter would be cheaper than a Canon body, but I know some lenses do not work so well with an AF adapter.

I did try but focus was quite slow and unpredictable.
Didn't feel comfortable either.
Also a cheaper option than a Sony 100-400 :D
I bought the Canon used quite cheap.

Christop82

TalkEmount Regular
The latest Commlite Pro adapter works great with the Nikon fast primes. I would not sell those lenses just yet. Nikon glass is without a doubt on par with Zeiss glass if not better in certain instances.
The sharpest lens I ever used was a Nikkor 85mm 1.8D. Sold it to purchase the FE 85mm, which I think has better color rendition, but isn't as sharp.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro

The new Commlite ENF-E1 PRO adapter is the one to get. Just check their compatibility list with the latest FW:

There's a $20 off coupon:
https://www.amazon.com/Commlite-CM-...1-spons&keywords=commlite+cm-enf-e1+pro&psc=1

Compatibility list:
http://sonyaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/22770045_1929184357343290_7006887590712133285_o.jpg

It's a bit expensive, but for focal lengths that don't exist on the E-mount it's worth the cost. I can confirm it works best with all the 1.8 G prime lenses and most if not all the 1.4 G primes. For example the 20mm 1.8 G works even better on the Sony and the nifty 50mm 1.8 G focuses faster than the Sony 50mm 1.8 FE. The Nikon 85mm 1.8 G is actually sharper than the Sony 85mm 1.8 FE and focuses better in low light with the adapter.

Viltrox also makes an AF adapter that's FW updated via USB, I haven't tried it, but it's $100 cheaper than the Commlite and I've been happy with Viltrox adapters in the past:

https://www.amazon.com/VILTROX-NF-E1-Adapter-transmit-aperture,/dp/B078HY5GWK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519410017&sr=8-5&keywords=viltrox+a+adapter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom