• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anybody else using multiple systems?

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Regular
Adapters are your friend.
I've been shopping for an adapter. I'd like to keep the auto features on my lenses working on the Sony a6300. What adapter brand should I be looking for or staying away from?
So far the Commlite looks to be a viable choice....

Thanks in advance.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'll let some one that uses that type adapter answer. All mine are straight mechanical, ie no contacts, since I don't have any auto focus lenses.

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Regular
I'll let some one that uses that type adapter answer. All mine are straight mechanical, ie no contacts, since I don't have any auto focus lenses.
Those are MUCH less $$$ than the ones that have the contacts...Maybe for less than $30 I'll try one of those before investing close to $400.
Thanks

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
They keep me more involved in taking the picture being manual focus and setting the exposure settings too. When I shoot my one and only native lens I tend to get trigger happy and lazy all at the same time.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for chiming in! I'm not really brand loyal, as I am more obsessed with lenses! The nice thing is with adapters I'm able to share my lenses across different formats. I've considered consolidating to the A6500 for my small camera (only having Nikon & Sony), but I do like having the pull out swivel LCD screens on M43 bodies. I don't get why Sony doesn't adopt that especially with their focus on video?

Though I do like shooting various formats because I tend to emphasize on my image processing more than the actual cameras themselves. At the end of the day, most my images all get processed the same. ;)

sam

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
sam_men
I start with a Kowa 35 film camera, moved on to many film cameras-Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, Zenit and then Minolta digital, with the 7Hi, which I still have and use for nostalgia. Great little camera.
Moved on to Canons crop and FF.
Now, Sony NEX and soon A7R2.
I too love lenses, and have a few shelves that are used on the NEX.
If a 3D printer job works, then I will have some really odd lenses to play with, as I have picked up quite a few WW2 era cameras.
My wife says I have GAS!

sam

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
sam_men
I've been shopping for an adapter. I'd like to keep the auto features on my lenses working on the Sony a6300. What adapter brand should I be looking for or staying away from?

Thanks in advance.
My Commlite works great for my newer Canon glass, L and STM.

sam

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
sam_men

Thanks in advance.
For my Nikon G lenses, where I cannot change the aperture, I bought a cheap $15.00 Nikon to Canon EF adapter, which allows for the lens aperture to be manipulated. Works great.

I wasn't looking for an adapter with electrical contacts for the NEX, but now I may for when I get the A7R2.

bmg123

TalkEmount Veteran
Stay away from Commlite if you ask me, spend the extra money and get something reliable; I've got a Sigma MC-11 coming for Canon to Sony E so I can post some impressions soon. My Commlite doesn't work at all with my Canon 100-400 L II

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Stay away from Commlite if you ask me, spend the extra money and get something reliable; I've got a Sigma MC-11 coming for Canon to Sony E so I can post some impressions soon. My Commlite doesn't work at all with my Canon 100-400 L II
If you're a Nikon shooter, Commlite offers the only AF adapter option for Nikon glass. It's not perfect, but it does work with most fast Nikon primes. I wish Sigma would make a Nikon version of the MC-11 adapter. I don't care paying more for it just to stay within the Nikon ecosystem.

Jeffcs

New to TalkEmount
Currently Olympus system and Nikon system
Enjoyment/art are all produced with the Olympus systems I’m only using my Nikon stuff for work these days and am thinking going Sony A9 with a view lenses. I’m shooting HS sports and other HS events so I’m in need of quite for HS musical and theatre while a beast at challenging lighting conditions night HS football games indoor sports B.B. or volleyball swimming, in any case you get the picture
Question am I on the right track

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Currently Olympus system and Nikon system
Enjoyment/art are all produced with the Olympus systems I’m only using my Nikon stuff for work these days and am thinking going Sony A9 with a view lenses. I’m shooting HS sports and other HS events so I’m in need of quite for HS musical and theatre while a beast at challenging lighting conditions night HS football games indoor sports B.B. or volleyball swimming, in any case you get the picture
Question am I on the right track
If you're a sports and high ISO shooter, seems like Nikon has you covered at the moment. You can add a Sony A9 and get a Nikon AF adapter which works fairly well with fast Nikon primes so you can add it to your workflow. Check it out and see how you like it if you want to add Sony native glass. Olympus though is rock solid as a small system camera and Sony isn't really a replacement in that category especially with the size of their FF lenses.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I was running Fuji and Sony concurrently. I had a NEX 5n and Fuji X-Pro 1 but I sold the X-P1 to fund picking up a nearly new NEX 7. I shoot primarily adapted lenses so the Fuji and lenses was a luxury I really couldn't justify. I still have a Fuji X10 that I use for travel. I like some things about one system and some things about the other. As a back of old MF lenses I think Sony bodes are head and shoulders above anyone else. If I was shooting only native lenses I would go back to Fuji. To me the X-P1 using the OVF and either the 18/2 or 35/2 was one of the most fun I have ever had with native lenses. I also had an Olymous E-M10 at the same time as the 5n. I liked how small both the body and lenses were and the IQ was good but I just never quite liked it.

modestglock26

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Casey
I have my A7II setup which I love, and a Fuji x100F which has been causing the Sony to collect dust for a few weeks. Don't think I would be able to choose just one.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
To me brand loyalty has gone out the door! With mirrorless I'm a bit more partial to glass than I am to camera bodies! :D

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
I have a Sony NEX 6 system with Sony and Zeiss lenses and a Pentax ME Super film system with multiple lenses. I use an adapter to mount the K-mount lenses to my Sony.
I don't use the Pentax a lot but it is fun to take it out and shoot with it once in a while. It's a great camera and the optics are excellent. I use the Pentax 35mm and 50mm primes on my Sony, with my preference being the very sharp 35mm. The Pentax zoom (28-200) is okay but I don't shoot with it on the Sony due to its weight.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
For sports and silent shutter and a willingness to use smaller m4/3 sensors, how about an A6500?

Latest posts

Top Bottom