Anybody else using multiple systems?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by JonathanF2, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm just wondering if anyone else is running multiple camera systems? I sometimes want to consolidate my cameras into one system, but I find I like certain aspects from different brands. For example I prefer Nikon DSLRs for action and event photography, Sony for it's ability to use adapted glass and precision on-sensor PD and Olympus M43 for their excellent IBIS, built-in features (high res mode, live composite) and high quality lenses.

Is there anyone else here who uses other cameras besides Sony?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    If you count my cell phone ;-) I 'm kind of joking, but I do take a lot of pictures on my phone.

For a serious camera I just have my A6000.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’m like Dave. Other than my cell phone, which can take some truly remarkable photos, my only camera is the A7RII. Though I have used other brands and formats in the past, I only shoot for my own pleasure, and I can’t see me ever having multiple formats at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Nope just Sony gear and my phone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    It would be fun. But time and money keeps me limited to my Sony's and occasionally the cell phone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 24, 2017
    I really like my em10 II. Primarily use it with a metabones Speedbooster and EF 50 1.8. The 12-40 is pretty amazing as well.
    Fairly new to Sony, trying to pick up an A7 to experiment with.

7. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Just Sony, but both FF and APS-C. That's one advantage of the E mount, can use FE lenses on the crop bodies (like the 70-300). And share batteries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I've got a Nikon D7000 w/18-200 VR lens on it sitting in a camera bag, hiding in my cabinet where I also keep my stash of film cameras. My old lenses are what drove me to find a way to use them and ultimately to Sony, starting with the Nex-7 and finally the A7ii. My love for Nikon started way back with my FE. Film got to expensive for me so it ended up not being used very much once the family started growing. When my wife finally decided it was time for us to go digital, as in you're not taking enough pictures of the kids, I searched for a digital that could do everything my FE could do. I ended up with a CoolPix 995, which at the time was a pretty pricey little camera for this one income family. It was difficult, at first, to get used to the small buttons and 'weird' format of the twistable body. But once I did there was no stopping me. I shot a lot of pictures with it and used it for a long time.
    When my wife once again said isn't it time you upgraded your camera, I started researching again. Then I held a D80 and that's all she wrote. That first time was like a hand in glove experience and I HAD to have one. I ordered it and the 18-200 lens together and that's the end of the story, 'till my son came by on his way to the Far East on business with a new D7000 kit. I was a goner, but told the wife I didn't want to upgrade. That lasted about a year and a half I think.
    What wrecked using it for me, was when I started hanging out on photog forums and got to looking at my pictures with a more critical eye to sharpness. Being a SOOC type they weren't the 'best' when looking really closely.
    I'll have to dig it out and put some of my old(er) Nikkor's on it to see how they do.
    Sorry for the long winded post. Probably more than you wanted to know.
    Thanks for reading this far.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I seem to have settled with the Sony A7RII over the last two years. Had the 7R and may upgrade to the A7RIII. I also like it for it's great sensor and ability to use multiple lenses with adapters. I have an RX1 when I want something small (although the focus leaves something to be desired!) I've also had a Leica M240 since it came out. It does have a unique feel to it's output which is not just down to the lenses. Put the 50mm Summilux on the A7RII and it just isn't quite the same so it must be in the Leica processing. Anyway, I find it a frustrating camera and not one I often reach for but somehow I can't seem to say goodbye to it!

10. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    Pentax and Sony - my only native Sony lens is the SELP1650 and I adapt PK and L39 mount lenses on the Sony

11. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I still have m43 in addition to Sony, but m43's latest direction and 1" sensor P&S cameras left me not using m43 much.

12. Catmurphy

Catmurphy TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
    Sony Alpha 900, Sony A7rII, Canon FF, Olympus m43, and a Sony P&S.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  13. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I have a Nikon D3300 for 590 Infrared, and a Nikon D800 with a 200-500mm for birds. But......... my Sony's are my favorites.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I used to, back in the day, 35mm and MF, and lately Fuji X-Trans in addition to my Sony NEXes for a couple years but that's over now. I still have a Fuji X10 lying around somewhere but haven't used it much since I got my new sillyphone.

15. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Yes, I get the “big-mirrorless-3”, as I have a Gx8, an xt1 and an A7.
    Sincerly speaking, there’s nothing from an amateur perspective you can not do with any system.
    You want it small? M4/3 got it, Fuji has some beautiful little lenses, even Sony can ( but seems don’t want to sometimes :p ) make small lenses.
    Do you want it fast? Ok you have gx8, gh5, m1 mk2, xt2, x-pro2, a7ii, a7iii and if you can, a9.
    Do you need high iso? You can have f1.2 lens on m4/3, so for Fuji, and a great sensor on A7.
    Ibis as well ( well, Fuji is a little late, but now you have lenses with ois doing the job ).

So you may ask “if you can do all with one system, why do you have 3?”.
    Good question :p I started getting some good offer to try for Sony and Fuji, and than started to love the render and the ability for MF, so I switch between my cameras instead to re-sell them and buying some new lenses :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Still have m43 for telephoto glass, mostly. Sony for ultrawide to normal. May need to rent the 100-400 FE with TC and see if it's an acceptable compromise for me, but I have a hard time seeing it beat the E-m1 with 43 glass. And an RX100 for diving because housing the Sony is cost-prohibitive (think at least 2x the cost of the A7rIII for appropriate housing, ports, wet lenses, etc)

17. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Nah just the A6000 and three lenses.
    Oh Yes forgot my Nikon F100 + lenses
    And my chamonix 45F1

And the Mamiya RZ67proII system. :D
    That's pretty much it.
    Well apart from the Pentax 6x7 ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Well, look at my signature :) I decided a "better" M240 was the A7R with the Kolari thin filter mod. All my CV lenses are Leica M mount. If I want "leica colors" I can dial that in with DxO PhotoLab. I pretty much stick with a tripod under the A7R, and use the A6000 for walk-around.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I have sold all of my other digital systems except the Leica M8.2 - but I only use the Sony. In my case it is not because I think the Sony is best, but more because I am more lazy than JonathanF2. I cannot help but notice that his images are routinely better than mine.

I suspect that maintaining skill with multiple images helps Jonathan keep his attention on his images and in his own style without becoming stuck in any particular corporate rendering.

I have kept the M8.2 for two, maybe three reasons. First, it is sentimental - my father gave it to me. Second, it's resale value is less than its sentimental value, especially because it has acquired the dreaded "coffee stain" (research Leica forums for more info...). Third, it allows me to take nice infrared images with the Zeiss M mount lenses that have the little red infrared focussing mark - and the camera provides this "feature" with no sensor adaptation at all! Oh, another reason may be that my M mount lenses still work great on both systems...so why sell it???

...I wonder if that Leica battery will still charge....may need to dust it off.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 31, 2017
    Northwest Indiana
    Jeff
    I have a Nikon D7200 and use a Nikon 70-200 2.8, Nikon 60 2.8D Macro, Sigma 50-100 1.8 Art, Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art, Sigma 15 2.8 Fisheye and a Lensbaby kit.
    It's only recently that I bought a Sony a6300.