Any way to predict vignetting in a lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jen Watson, May 29, 2013.

1. Jen Watson

Jen Watson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2013
    I have a decent set of regular EF-S lenses to use on my NEX MILC, but I want to play around with some toy lenses. I'm particularly interested in C-mounts, because of the size and portability.

Most of the 35mm c-mounts seem to produce soft vignetting/distortion, but nothing terrible. Anything else, however, is a toss-up. I've seen uncropped images of 50mm c-mounts on an APS-C sensor without significant vignetting--but I've seen just as many where the lens itself obscures most of the image (like the below image).

vignette_01.jpg

Is there anything I can look for that would predict whether or not a lens would produce that sort of intense vignetting/obscuring? specifically, would a lens with a throat size of ~42mm automatically produce intense vignetting on a NEX?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm not sure there's a reliable way to judge vignette potential. Even within the NEX bodies it varies. My 5N vignettes/color shifts with UWA rangefinder lenses, many of the do not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.