1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Vivitar 120-600mm owners here? I am considering one

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jul 5, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Just wondering if anyone has it here and can share some feedback.

PS ...Now I AM an owner :D

2. epracer71

epracer71 TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    Well now that your an owner, any thoughts? I have been thinking about getting a longer MD mount

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Sorry I just was able to go out for a while to test it with other lenses I got.
    I will work on some images to post here. All hand held. I also did some moon images on a Tripod which I will post on a small report about the lens.
    I am a sucker for big lenses, specially the wider the front lens element the happier I am :D
    With that said, I like the Vivitar. I wish it was faster at max range but that is not uncommon for such big lens. The quality is not as sharp as I would love when at 600mm but its workable I feel. I have seen other users with long lenses that are more expensive but dont feel the images kill mine so far..maybe I am wrong so you guys can judge it when I post them :D

I my trip to the zoo got postponed which is where I wanted to test it too so that is why my verdict is still open on it. I dont see myself selling it unless I realize my images are just too horrible so I should know this weekend for sure.
    I guess my fear is that i am so used to all my primes now that looking at such a long and inexpensive lens will be too much for it to live up to. Time will tell.
    Sorry for not having a more clear opinion yet. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. epracer71

epracer71 TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    No that's great information! I am looking forward to pictures.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow, looking forward to seeing those Moon images!

6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I wish I would have done more like to stack them because they are not as sharp as I hoped ..just VERY big and filling the frame specially without the lens turbo so that it becomes a 900mm lens :D

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looks like a keeper !

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Cant wait to take it to the zoo to see if it helps make cages "disappear" :)
    I know is not a super detailed glass but so far I am happy. Just wondering how a 24MP will make it look though. :)

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The cage disappearing thing will depend on how close you can get to the cage and how thick the bars or fence is. But I can't wait to see the pics. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    True. Is not always that easy for me to get it to work but I think this will be my best chance and a good workout carrying it all day. :D