Any Takumar M42 fans for adapted lenses, please post yours

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Hin Man, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    14479836969_85909a5fbc_b.
    DSC08142

14480263507_0fbb27ff2b_b.
    DSC08163

14479845129_2cea4447f0_b.
    DSC08141

Some wild flowers shots in my neighbor's garden. They are shot with Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 8-element in f/1.4 and f/2.0 with Sony A7. I went through great length of trouble with repeated return of 8-element version of the Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4. When I finally get a good copy, it is worth the efforts, the tiny Super-Takumar have good color, contrast and off-focus rendering is smooth and pleasing.

Cheers,
    Hin

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great results!

4. PeteH1a

PeteH1a New to TalkEmount

Dec 26, 2016
    I have a6300 what adapter do you use ? My 1st camera was a Pentax H1a Sill have it and all the lenses would like to put it on the a 6300

5. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    Any M42 to Sony E adapter will do. Try Amazon or eBay. Here is one typical sample in the search in Amazon

Fotasy NA42 Copper Adjustable M42 42mm Screw Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Mount Adapter (Black)
    Amazon.com : Fotasy NA42 Copper Adjustable M42 42mm Screw Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Mount Adapter (Black) : Camera & Photo

m42 to e mount, K&F Concept Lens Mount Adapter M42 Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera for Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-6 NEX-5N NEX-5 NEX-C3 NEX-3
    Amazon.com : m42 to e mount, K&F Concept Lens Mount Adapter M42 Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera for Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-6 NEX-5N NEX-5 NEX-C3 NEX-3 : Camera & Photo

I have used K&F Concept product and they seem to work better than the others. It cost a bit more but I think any known brand of M42 to Sony E mount adapter will do. The only thing that I will suggest is to check on the rating and check if the internal of the adapter has good protection from leaked light such as painted totally black and not the type with reflective surface as in silver metal without black coating.

Cheers,
    Hin

6. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    Here is a Takumar 100mm Bellows Macro on a bellows converted for tilt/shift on A7
    15948334897_4fd50210a8_b.

• Like Like x 4
  7. PeteH1a

Dec 26, 2016
    Thank you for the Info. I went to amazon and looked at the K& F adapter but under the questions a person that bought it said that it did not work with his SMC 1.4 50mm Tackumar because of a flange in the adapter. Is the K&F adapter you use have a flange or doyou use another wit this lens. Does your lens have a pin on back that operate the aperture.

8. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    I am afraid that I can't answer fully as I don't own the two items that I suggested. I found the two items high in the relevant search in Amazon and I mentioned them as a reference to help you. If you are concerned, don't go with the K&F adapter. I own several K&F adapters on some other mounts such as the konica AR to Sony E and Tamron AF to Sony E and they are of better built quality than the average adapters from other brands.

Problem: There are some M42 to E adapter that have an extra flange that help depress a pin in some of the M42 lenses that don't have M/A toggle on the lens. I don't remember exactly, the flange will depress the stop-down pin at bottom of the lens, those M42 without the M/A switch, to fully set the lens to wide open and it works with some of the M42 bodies for likely focusing wide open with more light. Most Takumar M42 have a switch between M (for manual) and A (for automatic) that engage the lens in stopping down. Check if your Takumar lens has the switch with label that look like M/A. Those M/A m42 lenses don't need the extra flange and it will work with or without the flange. For those m42 lenses that don't have the M/A switch, the flange will set the lens in the equivalent of M mode letting you stop down with aperture ring. And the flange when works correctly should depress the stop-down pin completely.

For Sony and mirrorless cameras usage, I would usually switch to M and use the aperture ring to stop down the lens. If one switches to A setting, the lens is likely wide open and your change of the aperture ring have no effect and won't stop down the lens until you switch the A/M toggle to back to M. One can use the weird setup with A/M as follows:

0. Set your aperture to desired setting such as f/4.0. In a darker environment, say you actually want f/4.0 for metering and f/1.8 for focusing.
    1. Toggle A/M to A to wide open for easier focusing
    2. Have your eye on viewfinder and focus while in wide open aperture -- with more light for easier focusing in brighter view finder
    3. Once focus is obtained, toggle the A/M back to M without the eye leaving the viewfinder. The aperture blades will stop to the your set aperture in step# 0
    4. Shoot away and your focusing is hopefully right with better light and your desired aperture at f/4.0 was set earlier is stopped down properly for the final shot.

I think I may confuse you more than necessary. I am an idiot in terms of lens nomenclature. I know some but not enough to clarify with few sentences. And here can be the possible problem that the person may run into with the flange when the flange is too deep or too shallow to engage the stop-down pin. When the flange fails to depress the pin fully, the lens is neither wide open nor fully stopped down, the metering may not work as you would expect. I had issue with Kipon M42 to K adapter that the flange fail to depress the pin fully for permanent M mode. Those oddly placed flange adapter will still work with all M42 lenses that have M/A switch. However, those wrongly placed flange will cause issues for those automatic M42 lenses that don't have the M/A switch as the flange is supposed to engage the lens in M mode letting the stop down happens with aperture ring.

I will be back with hopefully links, pictures and more clarification.

Cheers,
    Hin

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    For large aperture Super-Multi-coated Takumars, the back element is much wider, thus the auto control lever gets too close to the edge and jams on the flanged adapter.
    This happens with the 135mm f/2.5 and 200mm f/4. So, you need to buy a flange-less M42 adapter. Fotga makes a flange-less version.
    Or one with a removable flange ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Super-Takumar 55/1.8 w. Tilt/Shift adapter + A5100

_DSC0613-01.

_DSC0605-01.

• Like Like x 2
  11. PeteH1a

Dec 26, 2016
    Which one do you use , what adapter do you use. Your images look excellent

12. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Thanks! I got a 'Selens' one off eBay UK, I'd post the link but my tablet is being uncooperative.

13. Laagwater

Laagwater TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Edwin
    Love the Takumars for the way they are built. After 50 years or so, they still focus smooth.
    What i don't like is the M42 screwing mechanism. It often takes to long to change a lens.
    Here's one with the 135mm F3.5...
    tak135-17.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1
  14. goranilic

goranilic TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    USA
    Takumar Asahi 50mm f1.4
    Park.

• Like Like x 2
  15. goranilic