1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Sigma 19 fans?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dixeyk, Feb 14, 2013.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have the Sigma 30 and like it quite a lot and I have been thinking about picking up the Sigma 19 as it really is the only thing I lack FL wise in my kit. I have everything else covered between my Sigma 30 and my various Adapted lenses but WA is an expensive option in legacy glass. I looked at the Sigma 19 sample image archive and they look good but there aren't many images. Are there any fans of the 19 here? I have heard that it not nearly as nice as the 30...when I had an m43 camera I had the m43 mount Sigma 19 and thought it was pretty darned good. I missed the $99 special but Unique Photo has it for $109 these days.

Any advice? Should I just save a bit more and pick up the 16-50 power zoom? I not a huge zoom fan so it takes a pretty good zoom to win me over (I did like the Panasonic 14-45 on m43 and the Olympus 14-54 on 4/3).

2. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    I am, i just picked up the 19/30 bundle and thought i would be using the 30 the most but so far the 19 seems to have put all my E mounts on the shelf, i'm doing the car show probably tomorrow...i used a fisheye on a pentax Q or a x 100 but i think the 19 will be on the F3 and will probably be the only lense i use and i also own the 16...:tomato2:

[​IMG]

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    For the price it's a no brainer. It beats the 18/55 kit lens by a mile.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For 100, the Sigma 19 is your best bet. I don't own it, but I read quite a bit about it, and it seems to perform quite good. Not as good as the Sigma 30 overall, but vastly superior to the Sony power zoom at this focal length.

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I am a Sigma 19 fan. It is not as sharp as the 30 for sure, but it beats the legacy options that I've tried (Voigtlander 21/4 @f4, FD 24/2.8). Despite the 30 being sharper, I sold it and kept the 19 as it's a more useful focal length and I prefer the f1.8 options for the 30's range. It also works really well with the NEX-5N kit flash for indoors in a pinch, but outdoors it is just sublime.

A really neat option I am keen to try is to add the Panasonic DMW-GWC1 0.79x WA converter (making it a 15mm/22mm in FF) which apparently screws on directly to the front of it (maybe with a single step up ring?) for added width. I just haven't managed to find a set here though.

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Sigma 19mm f/2.8 does 1st grade v-day parties pretty well....

DSC00747resize_zpsa41f135d.

I was impressed because the lighting was very dim. AF locked on fast and accurate and IMO did a great job.

Attached Files:

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Not to disparage the Sigma 19, but you really think it's better the the Voigtlander 21? I'm curious how you think it's better. Please, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm truly interested in your thoughts. :)

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    There is nothing about that image that I can complain about. If that's indicative of the kind of IQ it's capable of then I'm sold.

Attached Files:

9. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    It was sharper at f4, and 21mm for full frame is too close to wide-normal on APS-C... 19mm barely squeaks into the wide category for me personally as well. Then there's the option for f2.8. Admittedly I did not own the 21 for very long and bought it second hand, but I was much less impressed with it than I was with my $149 Sigma (maybe the price and expectations that came with that price had a bearing on the decision too). If you prefer manual focus though, it is really hard to beat, and there are some things I would prefer the Voigtlander 21/4 - e.g. astrophotography. And I still hate focus-by-wire and the Sigmas are poor even as focus-by-wire goes in my opinion. But for everyday use I feel the Sigma offers a better package. Sigma have really upped their game since they started calibrating lenses for the Foveon sensor.

I didn't use to be a stickler for sharp lenses, but if there's the option for it in that category it is so worthwhile.

10. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    It does indeed. The 19mm + 5N + flash is what I bring to parties - tight, enclosed, dark spaces and great results.

Edit: and AF essential so that you can hand the camera to anyone to shoot with

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting observation. I find my CV21 is pretty sharp wide open, but I've never shot a Sigma 19 so I can't compare them. Sample variation perhaps.
    Re: sharp lenses- it's much easier to soften a sharp shot than it is to sharpen a soft shot. No contest.

Thanks for the feedback, it was useful. :cool:

12. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Grabbed this shot 10 minutes ago. f/4 ISO 1600 @ 1/40

DSC00764resize_zpsff3fb20e.

Attached Files:

13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here's one I took the other day of the high water in the river in my home town. It's just about acceptably sharp near the edges, taken at f/5.6. Look here for a full-size picture.

i-PfbLhrP-XL.

Attached Files:

14. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I really love my Sigma 30, but for wide angle I decided to go with the 16F28 to use it a handbag size combi and combine it with the ECU1 and ECF1.
    So don't try to lead me into temptation with more pics shot with the Sigma 19... :biggrin:

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm a fan too - the 19 is a great lens at twice the price.

16. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    There are a few test shots I took when I first got the 19 on my Flickr.

17. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I mostly use the Sigma 30, but when I need wider the 19 does the job very, very well.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the 19! :D

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Bought one.

19. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    You will definitely not regret it.